mud dauber stings & other stings and things

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i did a search and found zero threads on bee (and others such as wasp, yellow jackets, hornets & such) stings

Mud+dauber+04.JPG

yesterday whilst minding to my own affairs driving up to iowa city hospital (windows down almost 100 degrees) pain, numbing and stings and shit goin on in my left shoulder/neck area. after about 10-15 minutes without feeling anything crawling on me i finally am tired of getting stung and feel the little shit through my shirt. i drag the fucker out and put him in my ashtray after examing the little guy, i thought he was dead. nope. he was alive, not well but alive.

i look him over holding him in my fingers then toss him out the window. i hope he lived but he probably did not. which makes me a bit sad. i have 5-8 welts/sting sites where the fucker nailed me. he was a baby mud dauber as he was less than an inch in length.

i researched the net earlier to find out exactly what it was that stung me. and this is the best possible match. solid black & about half frickin surly. yes he was ill tempered. and why not be pissy? here i am blasting down the highway as a stupid ass human with my bulky metal ass car and no regard for the tiniest of life from the nature world.

so he got me & got me good.
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    serves you right , you stinking human!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mickeyrat wrote:
    once when i was about 15 riding my motorcycle i got nailed good in my left knee/thigh area by one super-duper badass yellow jacket. he got me through my pants and everything. it frickin swelled up nicely.i didn't wipe out but is sure was uncomfortable.

see the pattern here, mickrat?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    once when i was about 15 riding my motorcycle i got nailed good in my left knee/thigh area by one super-duper badass yellow jacket. he got me through my pants and everything. it frickin swelled up nicely.i didn't wipe out but is sure was uncomfortable.

see the pattern here, mickrat?
    oh yeah, you sir are bee bait.

I got it good in my back as a teenager. stung 9 times by one hornet. 3 holes in each of three welts. Last year mowing the back yard , I feel this heat in my left ankle. Ground hive up under the tree roots. had been running the mower to close to the hive. They let me know they didnt like that. Little bastard got into my shoe!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    oh yeah, you sir are bee bait.

I got it good in my back as a teenager. stung 9 times by one hornet. 3 holes in each of three welts. Last year mowing the back yard , I feel this heat in my left ankle. Ground hive up under the tree roots. had been running the mower to close to the hive. They let me know they didnt like that. Little bastard got into my shoe!!!
    yikes, mickrat. that smarts. you got it good both frickin times too. ouchy poo on you, sir. that shoe bee had to have been a screwy time. it feels weird when bugs crawl on ya. they have weird ass feeling feet.

growing up our folks raised honeybees. i need not say anymore other than we were stung daily during summer months.

but i do wanna tell you a short quick story.

my brother dut recently informed me of another reason i am a disc..i mean dick.

apparently i made up a game when we were innocent wonderful children. here's how it goes.

you need 4 full on live honey bee boxes all kickin ass w/ honeybees. you need a bail of hay. you then lay the hay directly in front of the bee hives. then you decide to take a break lying yourself down on the hay allowing hundreds or thousands of honeybees to crawl all over you. brother dut says that he didn't wanna participate in my new inventive game but that i would tell him he was a chicken-shit. so he played. i personally do not remember this invention of mine whatsoever. however, i do remember girls in the hay over at the neighbor's barn we used to sneak into. :lol:

girl-laying-hay-bail-women-pixmac-picture-49171639.jpg

8594227-country-girls-laying-on-top-of-hay-bail.jpg

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    when i was a brand new baby we lived in a apple orchard just surrounded by hundreds of apple trees. in the middle of the night dad got up & went to the kitchen barefooted. that was one bad idea from what i'm told. he stepped on so many wasps it was ridiculous. the bottoms of his feet were just fucked. i guess he suffered for days or weeks everytime he got on his feet.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    shit, who could prepare for that? ouch.

My old man had no sympathy for those who got their feet hurt when the werent wearing shoes or some kind of protection.

Had a party once when we shared an apt. Poor old guy in his own house stepped on like three bottle caps walking barefoot in the living room. You can guess which side up.

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Daubers are pretty cool damn beasts.....they capture spiders, paralyze them with their toxins, lay eggs inside the still living spiders and wall them suckers up in tombs of mud. When the eggs hatch, the larval stage daubers have a ready made spiders for their first meals. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Daubers are pretty cool damn beasts.....they capture spiders, paralyze them with their toxins, lay eggs inside the still living spiders and wall them suckers up in tombs of mud. When the eggs hatch, the larval stage daubers have a ready made spiders for their first meals. :twisted:
    holy frickin shit! that & you are amazing! you're my new bestest buddy :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    So this is not about the guy who was on Coach then ;):lol:

0118-memba-fagerbakke-launch-1.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

i remember that dude. he played the guy dumb as shit.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    chadwick wrote:

:lol: yeah his name was Dauber on the show
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    chadwick wrote:

:lol: yeah his name was Dauber on the show
    i wonder if he can hit somebody so hard that it stings numb and like fire too? i wonder who is smarter him or the mean little insect that puts its eggs inside live spiders buried in its mud? :think:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    http://www.greenvalleypc.com/html/wasp/mud.htm
    a couple nice sites on the study of wasps. the mud dauber is a type of wasp. a solitary wasp at that. and not ill-tempered like i thought. says they rarely attack, only when aggitated.
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bmuddaub.html

what the heck did we do before the internet?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    holy frickin shit! that & you are amazing! you're my new bestest buddy :lol:
    :shock: :o :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: 8-) :ugeek:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I awoke one Sunday morning with a pounding hangover and walked onto the back porch for a piss when I noticed once more the nest of what we call guinea wasps 'round here that had popped up on the porch earlier that week. Being the idiot I am i decided i'd just take the broom and knock the nest down, hopefully they would settles elsewhere besides right above the back door.
    Well my swing didn't quite hit the mark and them lil fuckers flew all over my ass, popping me repeatedly as i fled. I do believe it was 15 stings that were counted that day - on my face, neck, back, arms. Won't do that again.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    I awoke one Sunday morning with a pounding hangover and walked onto the back porch for a piss when I noticed once more the nest of what we call guinea wasps 'round here that had popped up on the porch earlier that week. Being the idiot I am i decided i'd just take the broom and knock the nest down, hopefully they would settles elsewhere besides right above the back door.
    Well my swing didn't quite hit the mark and them lil fuckers flew all over my ass, popping me repeatedly as i fled. I do believe it was 15 stings that were counted that day - on my face, neck, back, arms. Won't do that again.
    yikes ouch. that hurt
    never heard of guinea wasps (where you located?)
    i will look them up on the net
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=1 ... 2QX6yITBBQ
    google images of guinea wasps... says they are also known as paper wasps. these are wasps from around here. they make their home out of some kinda paper like shit. nasty sting and very ill-tempered when fucked with.

your story reminds me of my dad & his buddy trying to get a hornets nest out of a tree.
    they got the shit stung out of them
    frickin bald-faced hornets up the frickin wazoo
    they got hit someting like you did
    it was ruthless
    9009040s.jpg

hornet nests go for nice money @ certain country taverns over here in the sticks.
    not sayin that's what they were gonna do with it but who knows
    ya always see hornet nests hanging from a branch above the bar at your finer country ass bars

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    How-To-Deal-With-Wasps-Nests.jpg

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Wait...you were in the car, driving, getting stung...and didn't freak the fuck out?

I'm terrified of bees! Never been stung though.

I had a near-accident years ago because a bee flew in my car. I'm sure I looked hilarious to passers-by :mrgreen:

We also had a wasp nest in the air vent on our balcony. One calm, lovely and baked Sunday morning, I'm sitting on the floor reading the paper when I see a bee inside the screen. Then another...then another. Thank god Danny was able to calmly get them out while my freaked-out ass did the scaredy-cat hoparound.

I respect them, for sure. Tough little fuckers, they are.
    chadwick wrote:
    yikes ouch. that hurt
    never heard of guinea wasps (where you located?)
    i will look them up on the net
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=1 ... 2QX6yITBBQ
    google images of guinea wasps... says they are also known as paper wasps. these are wasps from around here. they make their home out of some kinda paper like shit. nasty sting and very ill-tempered when fucked with.

your story reminds me of my dad & his buddy trying to get a hornets nest out of a tree.
    they got the shit stung out of them
    frickin bald-faced hornets up the frickin wazoo
    they got hit someting like you did
    it was ruthless
    9009040s.jpg

hornet nests go for nice money @ certain country taverns over here in the sticks.
    not sayin that's what they were gonna do with it but who knows
    ya always see hornet nests hanging from a branch above the bar at your finer country ass bars
    You're supposed to wait till the outside temperature is below freezing before fooling with one of those things...
    hedonist wrote:
    Wait...you were in the car, driving, getting stung...and didn't freak the fuck out?

I'm terrified of bees! Never been stung though.

I had a near-accident years ago because a bee flew in my car. I'm sure I looked hilarious to passers-by :mrgreen:

We also had a wasp nest in the air vent on our balcony. One calm, lovely and baked Sunday morning, I'm sitting on the floor reading the paper when I see a bee inside the screen. Then another...then another. Thank god Danny was able to calmly get them out while my freaked-out ass did the scaredy-cat hoparound.

I respect them, for sure. Tough little fuckers, they are.
    it didn't hurt super bad just a bit. been stung a lot so it was a mild event actually compared to other times.
    for instance when we were picking up the yard (sticks & things) preparing to mow & stuff. beside the garage was a pipe we lauched bottle rockets with. i bent down to pick it up and i did notice the wasps buzzing around in the area right where i was working. i bent down & was grabbing the pipe when out of nowhere a sheer volcano erupted inside my left hand's pinky finger. it was the most excruciating fiery injection i have ever felt in my life. it hurt so fucking bad it drove me mad.

my pinky grew larger than my thumb and black and cracked apart and oozing some nasty ass yellow pus junk. dad told me one day i had better go get my pinky amputated before some serious infection really screws me up. i refused his suggestion and didn't even see the doc probably cause i was scared they'd hack it off.

in 6-8 weeks it was about healed. those were probably the most painful weeks of my life

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    tybird wrote:
    You're supposed to wait till the outside temperature is below freezing before fooling with one of those things...
    you'd think a couple of beer drinkin fools out lookin for timber rattle snakes would know such knowledge

nope they did not :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    you'd think a couple of beer drinkin fools out lookin for timber rattle snakes would know such knowledge

:lol::lol::lol: :fp: :fp:

Be warned that some species are able to keep the inside of their nest at a temperature at which they can motivate. :mrgreen:

BTW, beer and rattlesnakes really aren't a good mix, eh ;)
    tybird wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: :fp: :fp:

Be warned that some species are able to keep the inside of their nest at a temperature at which they can motivate. :mrgreen:

BTW, beer and rattlesnakes really aren't a good mix, eh ;)

ya actually ppl that are bit by poisonous snakes are messing with them when drunk, it's a proven fact.
    dad drank beer pretty much daily. sooo.... whatever. he's just good and lucky.

not lucky with hornets though and not to bright tryin to get a nest down when it was still warm enough out for snakes to be out & about

how do they generate heat? batting their wings ?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

ya actually ppl that are bit by poisonous snakes are messing with them when drunk, it's a proven fact.

not lucky with hornets though and not to bright tryin to get a nest down when it was still warm enough out for snakes to be out & about

That's one way, yes
    tybird wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

That's one way, yes
    go on i am listening

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

That's one way, yes
    go on i am listening
    That's all I remember right now.....let me look for that book
    tybird wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    go on i am listening
    take your time a bit
    :corn:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    go on i am listening
    take your time a bit
    :corn:
    My bad...it appears that honeybees are "the only insects in the Northern Hemisphere that can and do keep themselves active and heated up throughout the northern winter." Heinrich, Bernd Winter World 2003

It seems that form tight clusters of bees inside the hive to share body warmth. They also eat the honey which creates heat when metabolized. Shivering is also a method they use to generate body heat.