Do You Know How To...

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't think there is a topic in the forum like this. If there is already, please excuse and direct me to it.

I often wonder how to make things? Do things? Don't you?

So I thought well, I'm sort of a self-professed expert on herbal stuff, so why not trade some "expertise" as it was, for some of yours. I'll start by helping you all out with an herbal poultice for your ouchies, and you can tell me, and the rest of us, how to do something that you are good at. Right?

That way we all share and we all learn something from it. Whattayasay?

I'll start.

How to Make a Natural Herbal Wound Healing Poultice

Got a nasty cut? A painful bruise or sprain? Is it getting inflamed and it looks like it might turn to infection? A burn that is just irking you to no end? If you have no medical ointment around or you just don't want to use chemicals and pharmaceuticals when you don't need to, here is the solution you've been looking for.

318838.gif.jpg

This all natural organic remedy has been recommended by Mother Nature and Your Grandmother for all time. So easy, you'll wonder why you haven't done it sooner.

A Poultice is a concoction of herbs mixed together with a carrier oil for a specific intention and applied to the skin. It is 100% natural in all aspects.

If you are using the poultice on a deep burn or a wide open wound, you'll want to apply the poultice to a porous cloth such as gauze or cheesecloth and then apply it to the wound. If the wound is not open or the skin is not easily irritated (like a sprain or bruise) you may apply it directly.

You may make your first poultice immediately before applying, but make extra, because it works much better if allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator to impart the herbal properties into the oil.

There are many types of poultices for many uses. The recipe I am going to give you here will do several great things for you:

Reduce Pain
Reduce Inflammation
Help Prevent Infection
Soothe the Skin at the Wound Site

TO MIX

You Will Need

Mortar and Pestle

2 Tablespoons Each (in dried form) of:

Lemon Balm (anti-bacterial)
White Willow Bark (pain reliever, anti-inflammatory)
Lavender (antimicrobial, disinfectant, skin conditioner, anti-oxidant)
Queen of the Meadow (Joe Pye Weed) (pain reliver)
St. John's Wort (pain reliver, anti-inflammatory)

Oat Straw (skin conditioner)

4 Tbsp. of Organic Coconut Oil, 76 or 95 degree type (carrier oil, infusion, skin skin softener)

Lavender Tea, 1/2 cup at Room Temperature (made by combining 1/4 c lavender flower heads and 1 c water. Boil 5 min and let cool)

In a large mortar and pestle set, mash all of the herbs until there are no large stems or other large debris left.

Add coconut oil and mash into a paste.

The paste will be rather thin at hot temperatures and thicker at cooler room temperatures. It will thicken when refrigerated.

For best results, allow poultice to sit overnight in refrigerator. If needed for immediate use, make extra for tomorrow's application.

LTWOMM.JPG

TO USE

You Will Need

Gauze Pads, (NOT non-stick)
Plastic Wrap (such as Saran Wrap)
Ace or other self-adhesive wrap bandage
Disposable Tongue Depressor, Popsicle Stick or Other disposable applicator (plastic spoon will do)
Poultice Mixture
Lavender Tea Mixture

aromatherapy21.jpg

Prepare wound by gently cleansing with a gauze pad dipped in Lavender Tea. Cleanse in a gentle circular motion from the center of the wound outward. Do not go back over the inside of the circle with the used pad. Use a second clean pad to re-clean if necessary, using the same inside to out motion. Pat dry with clean gauze if necessary.

Examine the wound and note the color, size and condition of the skin at the site.

If you are working with a burn, or a large open wound, lay a thin layer of clean gauze over the wound. (1-ply). If the wound is not open or not easily irritated, you may apply the poultice directly to the skin.

Spoon a heaping mound of the Poultice Mix over and around the wound area.

Cover with a second layer of clean gauze and pat firmly but gently to make a pancake-like area out of the poultice. Cover the entire wound site as well as the edges around it.

mugwart3.jpg

Wrap the area with saran wrap. (If it is an area such as the forearm or wrist, you may wrap around the entire arm. An area such as the abdomen will do better with a smaller area of plastic wrap over and around the wound only. This will not only protect clothing and prevent leaking as well but will allow the body's natural heat to melt the oils and infuse the healing properties of the poultice into the skin and wound area.

After applying plastic wrap, cover again with a layer of gauze wrap or simply secure it by wrapping the area with a self-adhesive wrap or ace bandage. If treating a larger area or an area that is not conducive to wrapping, use a larger layer of guaze and tape over the plastic.

Leave on for a minimum of 4 hours or all day long. May be left open to air at bedtime, depending on the condition of the wound. Air drying is an effective method of healing as long as the wound is not exposed to dirt and contaminates while open to the air.

At dressing change, re-clean the wound with Lavender Tea and apply a new Poultice. Examine the wound for increased swelling, redness and pain, as they are signs of infection. If the wound becomes more painful, red or swollen, or if it has not healed significantly within a week, seek professional medical advice.

Continue daily treatment until the wound is well on its way to healing or as long as it is causing pain.

lavender-essential-oil.jpg

Remember to make your poultice mixture a day ahead and store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator to allow the herbal mixture to bind with the oils. After brewing and cooling to room temperature, the lavender tea should also be stored in the refrigerator, capped. Store coconut oil, covered, at room temperature.

[img][/img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_rt8ogikEbQ/T ... 379_n1.jpg

Be Well!
Peace,
Jo

taken from today's post on my website at http://www.simpleearthcreations.com/
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    What can you tell me how to make or do?
    I want to hear it all :D
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Sorry Jo, I do not think my talents as a bartender or joint-roller merit such a detailed write-up! :)

I know how to kill boredom at work!

Open up Internet Explorer (NOT ANYMORE!), Firefox, Chrome or Safari on your computer.
    Go to www.pearljam.com and log in.
    Read Posts.
    Laugh at the community wit.
    Revel in the community kindness.
    Be shocked at political arguments and how community members will act like d-bags if prompted on the right subject.
    [Swear off ever going back to 'A Moving Train.']
    Comment Occasionally.
    Become less bored.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Sorry Jo, I do not think my talents as a bartender or joint-roller merit such a detailed write-up! :)

I know how to kill boredom at work!

Open up Internet Explorer (NOT ANYMORE!), Firefox, Chrome or Safari on your computer.
    Go to http://www.pearljam.com and log in.
    Read Posts.
    Laugh at the community wit.
    Revel in the community kindness.
    Be shocked at political arguments and how community members will act like d-bags if prompted on the right subject.
    [Swear off ever going back to 'A Moving Train.']
    Comment Occasionally.
    Become less bored.

well, perhaps they are much-wanted skills
    perhaps you know how to make a really good bong out of a beer bottle
    or a hash pipe out of a ball point pen
    inquiring minds want to know ;)
    peace,
    jo

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I know how to sneak into my parent's house late at night without them hearing me.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    The bible can be used as rolling paper in case of emergency, the last three pages are blank

Shot glasses make good portable ashtrays

Spit works if your out of KY

Saran Wrap can make good hand cuffs

mix your Shrooms with Applesauce if your having a hard time with their taste

:ugeek:
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    StillHere wrote:
    I don't think there is a topic in the forum like this. If there is already, please excuse and direct me to it.

So I thought well, I'm sort of a self-professed expert on herbal stuff, so why not trade some "expertise" as it was, for some of yours. I'll start by helping you all out with an herbal poultice for your ouchies, and you can tell me, and the rest of us, how to do something that you are good at. Right?

I'll start.

Got a nasty cut? A painful bruise or sprain? Is it getting inflamed and it looks like it might turn to infection? A burn that is just irking you to no end? If you have no medical ointment around or you just don't want to use chemicals and pharmaceuticals when you don't need to, here is the solution you've been looking for.

318838.gif.jpg

This all natural organic remedy has been recommended by Mother Nature and Your Grandmother for all time. So easy, you'll wonder why you haven't done it sooner.

A Poultice is a concoction of herbs mixed together with a carrier oil for a specific intention and applied to the skin. It is 100% natural in all aspects.

If you are using the poultice on a deep burn or a wide open wound, you'll want to apply the poultice to a porous cloth such as gauze or cheesecloth and then apply it to the wound. If the wound is not open or the skin is not easily irritated (like a sprain or bruise) you may apply it directly.

You may make your first poultice immediately before applying, but make extra, because it works much better if allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator to impart the herbal properties into the oil.

There are many types of poultices for many uses. The recipe I am going to give you here will do several great things for you:

Reduce Pain
    Reduce Inflammation
    Help Prevent Infection

TO MIX

You Will Need

Mortar and Pestle

4 Tbsp. of Organic Coconut Oil, 76 or 95 degree type (carrier oil, infusion, skin skin softener)

Lavender Tea, 1/2 cup at Room Temperature (made by combining 1/4 c lavender flower heads and 1 c water. Boil 5 min and let cool)

In a large mortar and pestle set, mash all of the herbs until there are no large stems or other large debris left.

The paste will be rather thin at hot temperatures and thicker at cooler room temperatures. It will thicken when refrigerated.

For best results, allow poultice to sit overnight in refrigerator. If needed for immediate use, make extra for tomorrow's application.

LTWOMM.JPG

TO USE

You Will Need

Disposable Tongue Depressor, Popsicle Stick or Other disposable applicator (plastic spoon will do)
    Poultice Mixture
    Lavender Tea Mixture

aromatherapy21.jpg

Prepare wound by gently cleansing with a gauze pad dipped in Lavender Tea. Cleanse in a gentle circular motion from the center of the wound outward. Do not go back over the inside of the circle with the used pad. Use a second clean pad to re-clean if necessary, using the same inside to out motion. Pat dry with clean gauze if necessary.

Examine the wound and note the color, size and condition of the skin at the site.

If you are working with a burn, or a large open wound, lay a thin layer of clean gauze over the wound. (1-ply). If the wound is not open or not easily irritated, you may apply the poultice directly to the skin.

Cover with a second layer of clean gauze and pat firmly but gently to make a pancake-like area out of the poultice. Cover the entire wound site as well as the edges around it.

mugwart3.jpg

Wrap the area with saran wrap. (If it is an area such as the forearm or wrist, you may wrap around the entire arm. An area such as the abdomen will do better with a smaller area of plastic wrap over and around the wound only. This will not only protect clothing and prevent leaking as well but will allow the body's natural heat to melt the oils and infuse the healing properties of the poultice into the skin and wound area.

After applying plastic wrap, cover again with a layer of gauze wrap or simply secure it by wrapping the area with a self-adhesive wrap or ace bandage. If treating a larger area or an area that is not conducive to wrapping, use a larger layer of guaze and tape over the plastic.

Leave on for a minimum of 4 hours or all day long. May be left open to air at bedtime, depending on the condition of the wound. Air drying is an effective method of healing as long as the wound is not exposed to dirt and contaminates while open to the air.

At dressing change, re-clean the wound with Lavender Tea and apply a new Poultice. Examine the wound for increased swelling, redness and pain, as they are signs of infection. If the wound becomes more painful, red or swollen, or if it has not healed significantly within a week, seek professional medical advice.

Continue daily treatment until the wound is well on its way to healing or as long as it is causing pain.

Remember to make your poultice mixture a day ahead and store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator to allow the herbal mixture to bind with the oils. After brewing and cooling to room temperature, the lavender tea should also be stored in the refrigerator, capped. Store coconut oil, covered, at room temperature.

Be Well!
    Peace,
    Jo

Ok, so if you're in the situation where you need to make an all natural healing poultice, do you really have all these ingredients available? I mean, it is hell trying to find coconut oil in the backcountry of the rocky mountains...
    Snakeduck wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

I'll start.

318838.gif.jpg

Reduce Pain
    Reduce Inflammation
    Help Prevent Infection

TO MIX

You Will Need

Mortar and Pestle

LTWOMM.JPG

TO USE

You Will Need

Poultice Mixture
    Lavender Tea Mixture

aromatherapy21.jpg

mugwart3.jpg

Be Well!
    Peace,
    Jo

Ok, so if you're in the situation where you need to make an all natural healing poultice, do you really have all these ingredients available? I mean, it is hell trying to find coconut oil in the backcountry of the rocky mountains...

if you have a good herb garden or even a good flower garden going, you've got so much stuff that you can use that you probably don't even realize can help you out.

OR, even in the backwoods, in the wild, many weeds, many herbs and many flowers have alternative medical uses. whatever you are growing, google it and you'll find an alternative use for it (probably :P )
    peace,
    jo

DS1119 wrote:
    I know how to sneak into my parent's house late at night without them hearing me.

at your age??? :o:D
    peace,
    jo

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    DS1119 wrote:

But it's not cool after you turn 30.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    StillHere wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Don't judge me. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Don't judge me. :lol:

and who do we have to blame for that, eh?
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

and who do we have to blame for that, eh?

I blame the teachers.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Jo,

Is that YOUR leg with the chopped spinach application on it?
    rollings wrote:
    Jo, :lol:
    (

Yep...that's my sexy hairy manly leg ....got all prettied up just for you. Hehee dont you want to love me now?
    peace,
    jo

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    StillHere wrote:
    rollings wrote:
    Jo,

Yep...that's my sexy hairy manly leg ....got all prettied up just for you. Hehee dont you want to love me now?

mugwart3.jpg

Ewwww, no.
    rollings wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    rollings wrote:
    Jo,

mugwart3.jpg

Ewwww, no.
    LOL! !! Of course that's not me. It could be my sister though :D
    peace,
    jo