What is the meaning of life?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The question that has plagued human kind since the time when God created us. What are we doing here? Whats the point of life? Why are we here? What were we put on earth to do and accomplish?

So for all of you what is the meaning of life and the point? What are we doing here? My opinion as a 28 year old, who has been contemplating this idea alot in my 20's, is that life is to be lived to the fullest, to be fully present in each moment, to use our talents and abilities, to find our destiny and pursue it, and to try and find happiness, and that God created us and wants us to be happy and find our calling.

Certainly none of that is easy, if it was the question that I posed wouldnt exist. And probably its different for alot of folks. For alot of people my age, it seems like the goal of life is to gain status, money, to have a nice house and car, to have the house and white picket fence and 2.5 kids.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    My idea of life is to live it happy, as long as you do not hurt someone intentional. To laugh and cry. To love and be loved. To experience the world. I am rambling but I think just live.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the meaning of life is whatever meaning you choose to give to it.... and i seriously doubt neanderthals gave this much thought. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    The meaning of life is...

To be fair to others always, even asses.

To be curious, innocent, and amazed as a child.

To recognize what is making your heart not warm, and to move towards what does.

To answer the phone when somebody is calling you.

To be in total awe that you are floating in space.

To be purposefully quiet and introspective at least once a day.

To own the possessions that produce the most fun for you and for people that visit you. These include musical instruments, bikes, scooters, basketballs, footballs, chairs, and a telescope with decent lenses.

And lastly....to love yourself alot and to be your fullest self.

(Unless you're a prick. Then you should try to change that.)
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Not sure there needs to be a meaning to life.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    From Eat Pray, Love

God dwells within you, as you

God lives in me, as me.

My meaning of life? Savor it and pass on happiness as best as you can.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Wake up / Make love / Go to work / Make love / Go to bed

or

Do whatever makes you happy
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    To know and love God and others.

Beyond that, it's up to you. We're only here for a short time, so appreciate every day and take time to do the things you love.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    iamica wrote:
    To know and love God and others.

Beyond that, it's up to you. We're only here for a short time, so appreciate every day and take time to do the things you love.

can i ask.... why do you think the meaning of life in part is to know and love God????

what if God is not a part of one slife... does that mean they can never know the meaning of their own life???
    and whose God are we talking about here??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    life is growth.

God is a seperate issue.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    All answers lie in this movie my friend!

220px-Meaningoflife.jpg
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    I swear I knew the answer to this at one point.....I just couldn't remember what it was after the shrooms wore off. ;)
    MLMF Det
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100

8-);)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I dunno but its pretty much all over when PJ stops touring. God knows this too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    AzWicker wrote:
    Not sure there needs to be a meaning to life.
    And there ya go.

I think there IS no specialized or consistent meaning to life - not one that applies to all equally, that is - but we as people have this need to ascribe one to it, for our own purposes, our own...satisfaction?

Still, that's cool; it'd be a pointless journey for me if I were unaware of the ripple-effect of my steps, and those of others.

Sure it doesn't explain this (all-encompassing) trip, but sure makes it interesting, and exquisite.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    ...to do the needful
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    FrankieG wrote:

:clap:

Truthfully, though, I believe it's to love others.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Upon further reflection...why would the meaning of life be limited to humans? Should it be?

What about plants, and kangaroos, and insects, and the smallest particles we can't see?

It's all life. We're an itty-bitty part of it. And I think we're just part of evolution. No better, no more special, no more enlightened (though we like to think we are!).

Yeah, I dunno either.

As I can relate at this moment, I think it falls somewhere between here and there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQLLpt1QGcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9yUvNp6z0
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    An average woman produces something like a million eggs and an average man produces several millions of sperm so each of us is the lucky winner of a lottery that could have billions of potential results. The purpose of life for each of us lucky lottery winners is as individual as each of us are from one an other-- another figure in the billions. Thus, the meaning of life is: billions.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    An average woman produces something like a million eggs and an average man produces several millions of sperm so each of us is the lucky winner of a lottery that could have billions of potential results. The purpose of life for each of us lucky lottery winners is as individual as each of us are from one an other-- another figure in the billions. Thus, the meaning of life is: billions.

think about this brian:

a baby girl is born with all the eggs shell ever need during her life. so does that mean you began when your mother was born? :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    brianlux wrote:

think about this brian:

a baby girl is born with all the gegs shell ever need during her life. so does that mean you began when your mother was born? or when her:think:

That's, that's... that's REALLY and interesting thought!

And that being the case, perhaps that is where the idea for the song "Half a Man" came from.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

think about this brian:

a baby girl is born with all the gegs shell ever need during her life. so does that mean you began when your mother was born? or when her:think:

That's, that's... that's REALLY and interesting thought!

And that being the case, perhaps that is where the idea for the song "Half a Man" came from.

as youll see i edited my original post cause i was thinking about it while typing the question and figured an egg wouldnt begin to produce eggs until it was at least fertilised so my thinking is we begin when our mothers are born.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Who the hell knows? I only know that I keep fuckin' mine up.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    love.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    the wolf wrote:
    Who the hell knows? I only know that I keep fuckin' mine up.

I think that's what prompted Neil Young to write "Fuckin' Up". Once that's recognized, you're at least half way there.