Turntable thoughts

Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I think I'm gonna buy a turntable latter today. My buddy offered me his Technics SL1200-MKII with a Ortofon CONCORDE PRO S SINGLE-CARTRIDGE & STYLUS. Everything on it works perfectly. He's not sure how much use the stylus has gotten (Because he never used it), but it appears to be in good shape. He offered it to me for $250. :mrgreen: That is the price he paid like 8 years ago. He said he bought it and it's been sitting unused ever since...
I think that's a pretty good price but I wanted any thoughts/recommendations you guys might have.
Thanks in advance! :D
MLMF Det
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    :shock: :shock:
    Yes that is a good price! Snatch that thing up right now!
    Technics were (and probably still are) the leading truntable from a quaility standpoint. Everything they sell is rock solid.

http://www.google.com/search?q=technics ... q=&spell=1
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    Oh I know the table itself is tight. 8-)
    Anybody know anything about these cartridges?
    Or how about common issues or things to be aware of? I haven't had a "good" turntable....ever. So any help would be appreciated. :mrgreen:
    MLMF Det
    Hey guys.
    So I hooked the table up last night. But I'm having issues getting the full sound to come through.
    When I have the tuner on the volume level is fine...But when I have a record playing the sound is like 1/10th what the tuner was just at...Any suggestions?
    MLMF Det
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Hey guys.
    So I hooked the table up last night. But I'm having issues getting the full sound to come through.
    When I have the tuner on the volume level is fine...But when I have a record playing the sound is like 1/10th what the tuner was just at...Any suggestions?

Preamp between the turntable and receiver.

Older receivers had a phono input that was boosted for turntables.
    Alot of entry level turntables have a built in pre amp that negates the need.
    DewieCox wrote:

Preamp between the turntable and receiver.

Older receivers had a phono input that was boosted for turntables.
    Alot of entry level turntables have a built in pre amp that negates the need.

That makes sense. I have a relatively new receiver and didn't even realize there was no PHONO on it until yesterday. When I hooked it up, I just plugged into the tape. So do you have any suggestions as to what kind of preamp?
    MLMF Det
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Buy it now. Great price.
    Technics no longer makes those models, so they are sort of a collectors item now.

I have owned the same exact one for over 10 years now. They are like tanks and are considered one of the better turntables to have.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Anyone here a bit of an expert (or amateur) when it comes to turntable repair? I'm hoping I might be able to fix an issue with my tonearm without taking it into the shop. There has been a gradual decline of function with it. It started with sometimes lifting at the end of the record, going back to its cradle (and the turntable would stop spinning), and then going back out and lowering midway through the record (which has stopped spinning). This was intermittent. But then one day the tonearm stopped lifting at all. Now it just reaches the end of the record and stays down, and it just keeps spinning. :( Yeah, yeah, I know, take it in... But if it's just a matter of opening it up and tightening something or cleaning off something or whatever, I'd like to fix it myself.

It's a BIC 960 Manual.

Thanks! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Anyone here a bit of an expert (or amateur) when it comes to turntable repair? I'm hoping I might be able to fix an issue with my tonearm without taking it into the shop. There has been a gradual decline of function with it. It started with sometimes lifting at the end of the record, going back to its cradle (and the turntable would stop spinning), and then going back out and lowering midway through the record (which has stopped spinning). This was intermittent. But then one day the tonearm stopped lifting at all. Now it just reaches the end of the record and stays down, and it just keeps spinning. :( Yeah, yeah, I know, take it in... But if it's just a matter of opening it up and tightening something or cleaning off something or whatever, I'd like to fix it myself.

It's a BIC 960 Manual.

FYI...people will probably give you a rash of shit for having an automatic table...the dropping of the vinyl on the platter can scratch it. (don't worry, I have an automatic one too...I just bypass that part and manually put the vinyl on the platter)

will this help? http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=31309
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    RKCNDY wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

It's a BIC 960 Manual.

FYI...people will probably give you a rash of shit for having an automatic table...the dropping of the vinyl on the platter can scratch it. (don't worry, I have an automatic one too...I just bypass that part and manually put the vinyl on the platter)

will this help? http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=31309
    I never ever use the automatic feature either, because yeah, it ruins vinyl. I would never be able to watch my vinyl being dropped like that! I've never used that feature and never will (don't even know if it works actually). So manual only for me too. It's just a sweet turntable otherwise; I love it. I am really sick of having to run out and LIFT the arm manually though. If I forget, it's just spinning and spinning while the needle wears out. It sucks.
    And yes, that link could be helpful. I'll have to look it over more. Thanks!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've heard you need two and something else. Not sure what though