Debt collection

shawndyershawndyer Posts: 270
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have worked very hard for 3 years to rebuild my credit. I got it to a respectable number and was psyched. I was then hit with an electric bill from 2006 that I never received. The collection agency called twice but didnt leave messages. When I called to see why they left no message or sent no notice to my house, they said they didnt have a proper address. After all the work I put in I would have either disputed it within the 30 day period or paid it outright. My score dropped 90 points because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried to say I would pay it for them to delete it but they said no. Are they required by law to send a paper statement? I'm lost and very upset.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    Post edited by bionicamy on
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression they had to send a notice to you via a hard copy (mail) telling you that you're delinquent and your issue has been sent to collections. :?

What I don't get is how could you miss an electric bill payment and it not being applied/added to your next month's bill. Did you move and use another electric company?

I'm really not sure what you can do at this point. It seems pretty shitty that they didn't send you notice prior to harassing you via phone...at which point it was too late anyways.

Have you tried to talk to a manager-type at the collections company?

I had someone from a collections company (Focus Receivables) calling my home number, which is predominantly a work-fax line. They would call every freakin' day and would never leave a VM. I finally got someone to talk to about why they were calling me. They barely spoke a work of English... Anyways, turns out some guy who had my number before me had a debt issue. They admitted it, and didn't apologize. I asked them to stop calling me as it wasn't ME they were looking for. They said ok. The next day they called again. What the fuck? I tried to block their number from calling me, but they have like 30 numbers listed from which they call. I ended up finding all those numbers and reading off each one to my phone company. Fuckers!
  • shawndyershawndyer Posts: 270
    I did move. I have always had a bill in my name. The statue of limitations is 10 years in r.i.
    edited August 2012
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    edited August 2012
  • looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    Ugh, that's the worst after you worked so hard to get everything straight!! You can also fill out a form on the credit reporting company's website to "contest" the negative entry. Basically tell them that you never received a bill or contact from the company. You may get lucky and they will remove it for you, especially if you are going to pay this mystery bill. Good luck!!!
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."