Nothern Exposure tv show

NoCode1996NoCode1996 Posts: 75
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Im frm the UK and looking for a new boxset to try out... can anyone advise me on this show... funny, classic, rubbish???

Any info appreciated
Behind her eyes there's curtains and they've been closed to hide the flames. Remains.
She knows their futures burning but she can smile just the same. Same.
And though her mood is fine today there's a fear they'll soon be parting ways.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    i remember watching it when i was younger & liking it. it's a funny little story. whenever the re-runs are on, i find myself watching those as well. if it's a good deal, i'd say buy the boxset.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Yeah Northern Exposure is a great watch. It's not laugh out loud funny but it's amusing, slightly odd and can be quite deep at times. I can't think of anything to compare it to. If it's a good price then go for it.
  • NoCode1996NoCode1996 Posts: 75
    Yeah Northern Exposure is a great watch. It's not laugh out loud funny but it's amusing, slightly odd and can be quite deep at times. I can't think of anything to compare it to. If it's a good price then go for it.

Would Due South be a good comparison?? I loved that show and I was suggested Northern Exposure after buying Due South Boxset
    Behind her eyes there's curtains and they've been closed to hide the flames. Remains.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I remember seeing it quite a bit when I was younger. It wasn't laugh riot funny, but it was entertaining. It's more known for being strange and kind of off-beat than laugh-out-loud funny. I'd say it's sort of in the same vein as a Wes Anderson film.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • The last two seasons or so were bad. I bought the complete set few years ago. Overall it was worth watching
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    absolutely love this show...excellent writing and acting...it did fall off the last couple seasons when rob morrow was being a idiot but those first few seasons were awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgt-HO0 ... re=related
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i enjoyed this show. a nice little sitcom that is a little quirky
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The best series to come out of America ever.Very quirky with such depth.Strong story lines,great memorable characters and scenery that will soar your soul.
    I have the boxed DVD set and still very much enjoy it.I'd recommend you buy it too.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    The best series to come out of America ever.Very quirky with such depth.Strong story lines,great memorable characters and scenery that will soar your soul.
    I have the boxed DVD set and still very much enjoy it.I'd recommend you buy it too.

thanks for this.. did the show have canned audience laughter or is it like Scrubs where there is no laughter added to the show?
  • NoCode1996 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

thanks for this.. did the show have canned audience laughter or is it like Scrubs where there is no laughter added to the show?

No laughter. Not that kind of show.
  • You can pick up a second hand copy of season 1 on amazon for about £5 so maybe try that before taking the plunge. It's worth giving a go. Some great moments from that show.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    I have the 1st season of this, has the orange zip up "winter jacket" cover if you will.... I always liked this show, maybe it's time to complete the series.. Thanks for the reminder...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

NoCode1996 wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

No laughter. Not that kind of show.

Agree! Absolutely nothing canned about this show.It's drama not comedy,but the natural comedy of life is well represented.Definitely nothing like Due South,best to just watch a few episodes of Northern Exposure then decide if it's your thing.
    I never missed an episode and visited the town of Roslyn where it was filmed while I was in Seattle.Cicely is fictional but Roslyn is a living breathing town with a resident Moose,that was how he became part of the titles,he was a very real wild Moose who strolled through the town daily :D
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    :thumbup: two thumbs up :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Kind of like a 'happy' Twin Peaks imo. Remote location, odd and colorful characters.... I wish it was on Netflix streaming....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    Never watched it but I've been to the town it was filmed in. The locals wouldn't shut up about it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    thanks for the replies.. defo gna giv it a shot :D
  • antti23antti23 Posts: 138
    One of my all time favorite shows for sure. Highly recommended!!
    Stockholm 2012
    Oslo 2012
    Stockholm 2014
    Oslo 2014
    Thread inspired me to drag out the DVD set this afternoon :)