Will an 'I'm married' imprint discourage cheating?

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
file this under more useless shit

http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_new ... ating?lite

Do you ever look at a particularly strange product and wonder who pitched it in a boardroom — and what team of brand executives thought it was a good idea?
A new "anti-cheating" titanium wedding band, sold for $550 on TheCheeky.com, has the words “I’m Married” carved on the inside. The site promises that the engraving will imprint the wearer with the phrase, thus preventing them from simply taking off their wedding band and cheating. This ring has caused quite a buzz around the Interwebs, which is no surprise, because it raises quite a few questions:
Wouldn’t the imprint fade in 20 minutes, giving the wearer ample time to carry out their, um, plans?
What if the person who is cheating with the wearer simply doesn’t care that they’re married? (Or, as an especially observant Twitter user pointed out, what if they can’t read?!)
If you feel the need to purchase this, shouldn’t you reexamine your relationship?
Basically, this item would be purchased under the assumption that its wearer was going to be unfaithful at some point, which really should be a deal breaker at the start. Furthermore, we’re guessing that men won’t be too keen to slip this on their fingers, because it brands them as potential cheaters. And we say “men” only because there doesn’t appear to be a women’s version at all.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I've heard that single girls sometimes seek out married guys. Who is the imprint supposed to discourage anyway? I've never seen a ring plug a hole before.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I'm going out on a limb here...but I'd be willing to bet married women cheat just as equally as married men.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Marriage is just an expensive breakup that's all.

I've been with the same woman for 7 years and yes i slipped up once and she kicked me out and wouldn't even respond to text messages for 3 months. I deserved it but we have moved on. We have never thought of officially getting married because we feel it's a waste of money and time and usually a weekend. But i reckon i got a good one that thinks that. We don't need a piece of paper saying we're officially together.

If you're that worried about your partner cheating maybe you should rethink this whole marriage thing with them.
    My butt itches!
  • bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    youngster wrote:
    I'm going out on a limb here...but I'd be willing to bet married women cheat just as equally as married men.

hahaha, thats an interesting discussion I would be genuinely interested in finding out the stats on...In my humble opinion I reckon it would be nowhere near even...I would guess somewhere around ten to one (10 male cheaters to one woman)...
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    CougarLife.com

edit: and I hear good things out of that Ashley Madison
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925