anyone here from Portland?

mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
unless some amazing job offer/upgrade comes along, we've decided that Portland is the city for us! we'll be leaving Texas in late July to start our NW trip with a stop in Kansas City to see my family along the way.

So, we've been to Portland a couple of times....as tourists. Love the city. Now we're looking for apartments/houses to rent. If you're from there or have a lot of knowledge about the city, please let me know of some nice places to look.

Thanks!!! Can't wait!!! :D:D:D

Matt
I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Are you deliberately going to the opposite end of the country :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PM JMo...he's a cool dude from Portland.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Are you deliberately going to the opposite end of the country :lol:

I'll miss you, Adam. :(
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    RKCNDY wrote:
    PM JMo...he's a cool dude from Portland.

Thanks! Just sent him a pm.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Give us some guidelines. How much space do you need? Yard, no yard? Noise level you're okay with? How close to the action do you like to be? Do you ride a bike? (best mode of transportation in PDX) Do you need garage parking?
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Give us some guidelines. How much space do you need? Yard, no yard? Noise level you're okay with? How close to the action do you like to be? Do you ride a bike? (best mode of transportation in PDX) Do you need garage parking?

He's from Texas so the doorways wil have to accommodate his oversized cowboy hat, he'll need a shooting-range, and at least one spare room to raise some cattle.
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

He's from Texas so the doorways wil have to accommodate his oversized cowboy hat, he'll need a shooting-range, and at least one spare room to raise some cattle.

:lol::lol::lol:

haha!!!

we'd prefer to rent a house. a small yard would be great & a basement for storage would be awesome. 2 BR is more than enough for our 1st place there (no kids yet). we have 2 cars, but we're ok not having a garage. we own bikes, but don't ride them here in Dallas b/c we'd be run off the road! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    Don't know a lot about housing in Portland, but I'm right across the bridge in Vancouver, so Welcome dude!!!!! You will love PDX, it is awesome. 8-)
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
    Don't know a lot about housing in Portland, but I'm right across the bridge in Vancouver, so Welcome dude!!!!! You will love PDX, it is awesome. 8-)

Then the first thing you should be telling him is to avoid Vancouver :lol:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

haha!!!

we'd prefer to rent a house. a small yard would be great & a basement for storage would be awesome. 2 BR is more than enough for our 1st place there (no kids yet). we have 2 cars, but we're ok not having a garage. we own bikes, but don't ride them here in Dallas b/c we'd be run off the road! :lol:

Price range? Basements can be hard to come by in Oregon=wet. Old houses are more likely to have them.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Do you hackey sack? If not, start practicing.
    Jason P wrote:

Start growing a beard, too.
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    Go Beavers wrote:

I like Vancouver. That's why I live here.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Does Portland still have the public bike system set up?
    Jason P wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Does Portland still have the public bike system set up?

Working on one with the same company that's doing the one in NYC.

They tried the randomly strewn about yellow bikes for free several years ago, but that didn't work.
    Go Beavers wrote:

I like Vancouver. That's why I live here.

:|
    Go Beavers wrote:
    They tried the randomly strewn about yellow bikes for free several years ago, but that didn't work.
    Yeah, that's the one I remember.
    late week bump! thanks for the help so far!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    I realize this doesn't answer any questions, but I just wanted to say, "Sushiland!"

Love that joint... oh, and Voodoo donuts, totally overrated.
  • JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    Snakeduck wrote:
    I realize this doesn't answer any questions, but I just wanted to say, "Sushiland!"

Love that joint... oh, and Voodoo donuts, totally overrated.

I disagree. Voodoo is only overrated if you wait in line for an hour. Get them hot and fresh from Voodoo Too, avoid the downtown location. They remolded/expanded and it's not the original setup anyway.
  • JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    Matt, I'm looking for places. PM me your email address and I'll send you some links.
    finally got a reasonable moving quote!!!! woohooooooo!!!!! :D:D:D

now we just need to find a place in Portland :?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    finally got a reasonable moving quote!!!! woohooooooo!!!!! :D:D:D

now we just need to find a place in Portland :?

What's your dollar range for rent?

I'll plug the eastside, west of 60th or so. This way it's more bike friendly and you're more likely to ride, then eventually you can dump your second car!
    still looking for a place....

we've been crazy busy here in Houston helping with the renovation. hope to line something up soon!

the good news is the movers will be arriving on the 29th...and then we're driving to Kansas City for a quick visit with my family before driving the rest of the way to Portland. we should arrive by 8/6! :D it's safe to say that we're really fucking excited!!

extra bonus....we're going to go see Brad play in Seattle on 8/10! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    good luck w/this move man!

when i lived in SAN, i had a job that took me up to PDX every 2 months and i loved every trip up there. the people, active lifestyle, and beers make it a top 10 city imo.

some very trippy stories about that town will come out of the wood work once you get there, no spoilers but you'll hear all about em. have fun, Texas will miss you and you will not miss Rick the prick perry :fp: :nono:
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018