Wash. DC

fifefife Posts: 3,327
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So I am thinking of going on a trip to Wash. Dc. has anyone ever been there and if so can you tell me what I should see and where to eat and stuff.

I'm looking for more of the hidden gems than say capital hills/ white house stuff.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Oooh I've been to DC quite a few times for business trips...I absolutely love it there! Know that all the museums are free, so definitely do try to hit them up if you get a chance. The Vietnam Memorial is absolutely stunning...pretty much everything there is stunning.

There's a brewery right next to Union Station, I can't remember the name of it, but it's got great burgers and beer, you'll know it once you see it. Also, there's this little 'crappy' diner that's across the street from Ford's Theatre (again don't know the name but you'll know it when you see it!). It looks a little iffy but it's one of the best breakfast joints I've ever been to.

Don't forget the cupcake places, there's Georgetown and Red Velvet...they're pricey but worth it.

Have fun!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    fife wrote:
    So I am thinking of going on a trip to Wash. Dc. has anyone ever been there and if so can you tell me what I should see and where to eat and stuff.

I'm looking for more of the hidden gems than say capital hills/ white house stuff.

Thanks

Good thread! :thumbup: I'm looking to plan a day-trip as well.

I was looking at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Saw pictures of that and it seems extremely cool.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Let me tell you- Amsterdam Falafelshop is where it's at! Delicious falafel! Around that area (18th St. in Adams Morgan) is a bunch of cool restaurants/bars too . I'd also check out the schedules of 9:30 Club and The Black Cat to see if there's any concerts you might be interested in catching as they are cool venues. As for what to do, the various Smithsonian museums are free and amazing, I'd take advantage of that if I were you. The zoo is also free and is pretty nice, if that's up your alley. The Holocaust museum is also extremely moving, I recommend it. Also take a walk around Georgetown, lovely area. Enjoy DC, I've grown to love the city, my school is a short Metro ride away (the Metro, btw, is extremely easy to use) :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Oooh I've been to DC quite a few times for business trips...I absolutely love it there! Know that all the museums are free, so definitely do try to hit them up if you get a chance. The Vietnam Memorial is absolutely stunning...pretty much everything there is stunning.

There's a brewery right next to Union Station, I can't remember the name of it, but it's got great burgers and beer, you'll know it once you see it. Also, there's this little 'crappy' diner that's across the street from Ford's Theatre (again don't know the name but you'll know it when you see it!). It looks a little iffy but it's one of the best breakfast joints I've ever been to.

Don't forget the cupcake places, there's Georgetown and Red Velvet...they're pricey but worth it.

Have fun!

I love how you transition from a two sentence paragraph about the great sites of DC into a full on sprint about a brewery some places to eat. :lol:
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    samjam wrote:
    Let me tell you- Amsterdam Falafelshop is where it's at! Delicious falafel! Around that area (18th St. in Adams Morgan) is a bunch of cool restaurants/bars too . I'd also check out the schedules of 9:30 Club and The Black Cat to see if there's any concerts you might be interested in catching as they are cool venues. As for what to do, the various Smithsonian museums are free and amazing, I'd take advantage of that if I were you. The zoo is also free and is pretty nice, if that's up your alley. The Holocaust museum is also extremely moving, I recommend it. Also take a walk around Georgetown, lovely area. Enjoy DC, I've grown to love the city, my school is a short Metro ride away (the Metro, btw, is extremely easy to use) :)

I was thinking of going in July but have heard that its get really busy there in July. is September a nice time to go? i picked up one of those Frommer books too but want to see some place sthat maybe they missed and local go.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Have fun!

I've been to that breakfast place! Kind've a hole in the wall that gets really croweded? Really good! :D

I've been to D.C. probably around 2 dozen times for work. Fun city. Definitely try to check out the memorials/monuments/museums if you can. Dupont Circle area is nice for dinner.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    fife wrote:
    samjam wrote:

I was thinking of going in July but have heard that its get really busy there in July. is September a nice time to go? i picked up one of those Frommer books too but want to see some place sthat maybe they missed and local go.
    Not sure on 'best times to go' as I am only around when I'm at school, but I do know that September is a nice time weather-wise to go. Just keep in mind it can still get HOT, DC is far enough South that you can still get some scorchers in September! Whenever you decide to go, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! And another restaurant recommendation- Wok And Roll in Chinatown- cheap and delicious Chinese food!
    ~not a dude~
    DS1119 wrote:

I love how you transition from a two sentence paragraph about the great sites of DC into a full on sprint about a brewery some places to eat. :lol:

#RF
    Better Dan wrote:

I've been to that breakfast place! Kind've a hole in the wall that gets really croweded? Really good! :D

I've been to D.C. probably around 2 dozen times for work. Fun city. Definitely try to check out the memorials/monuments/museums if you can. Dupont Circle area is nice for dinner.

Yes!!! Total hole in the wall and it did get crowded, but the grits were phenomenal!

I forgot about Arlington National Cemetary...definitely a must-see. JFK's eternal flame is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2012
    The cafeteria at the Supreme Court is so good. Pricey, but good. Trust me. Also, it's pretty damn amazing to say you had lunch at the Supreme Court.

You can request access to tour the floor of the House or Senate head of time via written request to your congressional representative's office. No idea what the turnaround time would be to get the passes, and being that a bunch of 'em are up for election this November, I would put in the request now.

I agree with the Dupont Circle recommendation - lots of good places to eat there. Have some Zorba's for me while you're there! http://www.zorbascafe.com/

You may get recommendations to eat at Tortilla Coast. Do not listen to those recommendations. The food there is expensive and not worth it.

If you like NPR, the NPR headquarters is there, in the north part of town I believe. They do tours every Tuesday.

I also recommend visiting the Newseum: http://www.newseum.org/
    Post edited by drivingrl on
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    Another question, i am going there by myself and just wondering if people are friendly.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    fife wrote:
    Another question, i am going there by myself and just wondering if people are friendly.
    whats your point of entry going to be? I need to notify homeland security. This canadian invasion must not continue!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Match Box. Great place with awesome pizza, great bloodys and a good beer list. Go for brunch. Dobut you'll be able to get in for dinner.

http://www.matchboxchinatown.com/
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    mickeyrat wrote:
    fife wrote:
    whats your point of entry going to be? I need to notify homeland security. This canadian invasion must not continue!! :mrgreen:

Okay, Mickey jokes, but yeah you do want to be aware of not looking suspicious.

But generally people in the service industry are glad to help. People who work on the Hill may not be so friendly or willing to help if you need it, but others should. Hell, I've approached one of the armed guards in front of the Capitol before and he was totally nice and answered my questions.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    mickeyrat wrote:
    fife wrote:

Eh what are you trying to say? its not like we burned down the white house in the past. :D just joking incase homeland is reading this.

I have not decided if I am going to fly or drive there. it doesn't take to long to drive down.
    drivingrl wrote:
    If you like NPR, the NPR headquarters is there, in the north part of town I believe. They do tours every Tuesday.

Didn't know about the NPR tour thing, that sounds really cool! When I head back to school I'll have to check it out! Also forgot to mention the Newseum, indeed very cool. And thought of yet another great place to eat, if you're a sweet tooth like me you definitely don't want to miss Dangerously Delicious Pies! http://www.dangerouspiesdc.com/ Well known in Baltimore, recently expanded to DC and Detroit. The famous 'Baltimore Bomb' pie is to die for! :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    The spy museum is pretty cool too.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    Skip all the the Smithsonians and opt for the Newseum if you want to do the museum thing. It costs, but they have actual interesting and real things in there like the unabombers actual cabin they carted in. The Sithsonians just have replicas and artist renderings of things that happened. Kind of lame.
    If you want the unusual, check out roadsideamerica.com and choose DC. It's a great site for offbeat stuff in every city you wouldn't think to see.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    fife wrote:
    Eh what are you trying to say? its not like we burned down the white house in the past. :D just joking incase homeland is reading this.

You're probably added to a list somewhere.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,044
    Hit up Old Town (King Street) in VA if you get a chance, cool area.. Right outside of D.C., Metro will take you there from the city.. Cool bars, good food, great atmosphere and cool vibe... right off the water..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I work two blocks from the White House. Often I walk from here all over. What are you looking for:

Food: What type of food? I could find coffee anywhere. The best meal I've had in DC is at Cedar. Not extravagant, but definitely not an everyday occurence. I've been there one time, and I expect to go one time this year. People are big on brunch here. Look at the Bitches Who Brunch blog.

I've seen some amazing statues walking throughout. You may just need to have a map, or a GPS and start walking. The Vietnam War Veterans Memorial is a must-see.

I like walking on the mall.

It should be very hot soon; high 90s later this week. It's muggy, but after 8 years I'm getting used to it. :lol:

Baseball? How about a Nationals game.

Good districts to walk around include: Dupont Circle/Columbia Heights

I am not a fan of the metro. Always broken, it's a yucky necessity. On the weekends there is ALWAYS track work. If you can walk, then walk.

What do you like to do when you travel? I couldn't tell you about bars or nightlife, but I could direct you on other places that may interest you.

Bookstores: Kramers and Politics & Prose
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I saw some decent music at a place called the Hamilton..gotta go downstairs and see this venue..its pretty sweet.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I work two blocks from the White House. Often I walk from here all over. What are you looking for:

Food: What type of food? I could find coffee anywhere. The best meal I've had in DC is at Cedar. Not extravagant, but definitely not an everyday occurence. I've been there one time, and I expect to go one time this year. People are big on brunch here. Look at the Bitches Who Brunch blog.

I've seen some amazing statues walking throughout. You may just need to have a map, or a GPS and start walking. The Vietnam War Veterans Memorial is a must-see.

I like walking on the mall.

It should be very hot soon; high 90s later this week. It's muggy, but after 8 years I'm getting used to it. :lol:

Baseball? How about a Nationals game.

Good districts to walk around include: Dupont Circle/Columbia Heights

I am not a fan of the metro. Always broken, it's a yucky necessity. On the weekends there is ALWAYS track work. If you can walk, then walk.

What do you like to do when you travel? I couldn't tell you about bars or nightlife, but I could direct you on other places that may interest you.

Bookstores: Kramers and Politics & Prose

I am going to be there i think for 4 days. i like all type of food but really like seafood, korean food, italian food. its more about atmosphere. since I am going by myself, i really just want some places where you can sit at a bar and have some good food and a good drink. I am not really a nightclub person. i prefer a place to have a drink and people watch.

I went to Italy last year and most of my time was on a patio with a nice bottle of wine and a book. I really like history so I will be going to all the major attractions to see.
    Take tours of the buildings if you can: Library of Congress is very cool.

Besides the images you can see of the DC area on my blog sidewalkserendipity.tumblr.com, you could look at some places at coffeecupcrossroads.tumblr.com. The Diner in Adams Morgan is very cool. I LOVE diners!

I live in Takoma Park, MD, but I would agree that Alexandria, VA is a great place to visit. Nice yarn store!

My favorite place is Bayou Bakery in Arlington, VA-they have better beignets than Cafe du Monde - I know this as I have tried both :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Hanging out:

Capitol Hill: Pound on the Hill: coffee shop turned Bistro
    Bloomingdale: Big Bear Cafe
    Bloomingdale (?): Boundary Stone pub-I think it's in Bloomingdale.

The food in museums is not good. Eat before you walk around them.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

My favorite place is Bayou Bakery in Arlington, VA-they have better beignets than Cafe du Monde - I know this as I have tried both :D

:o :shock: BLASPHEMY!!!!
    Best cupcakes are at The Sweet Lobby and Sticky Fingers (both Food Network Cupcake War winners, might I add). Sticky Fingers is vegan, and the cake is just awesome. I think DC is good at vegan baking, not so good at vegan savory foods; expensive and salty, EXCEPT The Souper Girl right off the Takoma Park metro. The most awesome soup.

There a lot of pizza makers attempting a *napolean* style pizza which means that the thin crust pizza gets steamy on the bottom because the serving plates don't have holes.

A lot of food trucks near Farragut North metro on Fridays, lobster roll is a big thing here; usually $15.00 a lobster roll. A lot of farmers markets- Dupont Circle on Sundays is a good one

The best that DC has to offer is unpredictability in public art. If it's not too hot I would recommend just walking around, and going to a diner or a pub.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    catch a Nationals game :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    The Diner in Adams Morgan is very cool. I LOVE diners!
    The Diner is a cool place, for sure!!
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I think DC is good at vegan baking, not so good at vegan savory foods; expensive and salty, EXCEPT The Souper Girl right off the Takoma Park metro. The most awesome soup.
    I babysat some kids in Takoma Park this semester and every time I got off the Metro it would smell SO GOOD and I'd be tempted to get something at The Souper Girl! Guess I should next semester! :)
    ~not a dude~
    One thing I forgot to mention, and why I like walking around here, the residential architecture has more character than most of the commercial architecture. I got off at the Columbia Heights metro one day, walked around towards Capitol Hill, and saw all of these beautiful townhomes in various state of repair, with various gardens or junk in the front ways, and awesome colors. Dupont Circle has all of the beautiful embassies.

You can see really nice brownstones walking from Dupont Circle to Logan Circle, and then two-story townhomes if you just keep heading north or head towards Capitol Hill. Near the Eastern Market metro heading towards Eastern Market and beyond are nice two-story townhomes as well.

Georgetown has interesting residential architecture. Take the bus to National Cathedral, and start walking down towards Georgetown, and the water, and maybe take a right or a left somewhere. Georgetown campus is very cool as well. I haven't been to Catholic University of America or other campuses, but they probably have a lot to offer, if not interesting eclesiastical architecture-like the big domed chuch at CUA.

If you walk north from Dupont Circle to Adams Morgan you can see some interesting three-story townhomes.

I think the residential architecture should be one of the draws of DC, but it is overshadowed by the national monuments and public historic buildings - which are cool as well.
  • Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    samjam wrote:
    drivingrl wrote:

Didn't know about the NPR tour thing, that sounds really cool! When I head back to school I'll have to check it out!

I didn't know about that either :( I lived in Frederick (45 mins north) for a year and a half and walked past the building multiple times
    I saw some decent music at a place called the Hamilton..gotta go downstairs and see this venue..its pretty sweet.

Also, check the schedule at The 9:30 Club. One of the best small indoor venues in the country. It was my second home when I lived in MD :P