study proves booze really does make life better

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
best study ever

http://now.msn.com/living/0624-wine-improves-life

Let's toast our new favorite scientists, a team from the Boston University School of Medicine who've found that folks who drink "in moderation" have a better quality of life than those who completely cut out the booze. The researchers tracked more than 5,000 50 year olds, and discovered that the regular drinkers scored highest when measured on factors including dexterity, emotion, cognition and mobility. "Overall, this study shows a positive relation between regular moderate alcohol intake and quality of life in middle-aged adults," said the study's authors. It's worth noting that their definition of "moderate" alcohol consumption is "no more than 14 drinks a week, and no more than three a day for women and four a day for men." Better crack open a bottle now if you want to meet your daily
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    :mrgreen:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I'll drink to that...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • "no more than 14 drinks a week, and no more than three a day for women and four a day for men."

Problem is that I dont do anything in moderation. They should do a study with more real numbers...I cant be alone in going many days with zero drinks and then 2 days with 10-15 drinks per day. :?:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • john roachjohn roach Posts: 80
    If my math is right, I should live for ever if I maintain my current rate of daily consumption. Yay for my team.
    John Roach
  • Yup, sounds about right :D
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Mamasan23 wrote:

slow down there girl...
    mysticweed wrote:
    who drink "in moderation"

unless you score your moderation with the high end being charles bukowski :P :lol:
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    mysticweed wrote:
    best study ever

http://now.msn.com/living/0624-wine-improves-life

Let's toast our new favorite scientists, a team from the Boston University School of Medicine who've found that folks who drink "in moderation" have a better quality of life than those who completely cut out the booze. The researchers tracked more than 5,000 50 year olds, and discovered that the regular drinkers scored highest when measured on factors including dexterity, emotion, cognition and mobility. "Overall, this study shows a positive relation between regular moderate alcohol intake and quality of life in middle-aged adults," said the study's authors. It's worth noting that their definition of "moderate" alcohol consumption is "no more than 14 drinks a week, and no more than three a day for women and four a day for men." Better crack open a bottle now if you want to meet your daily

Perfect! I am right on track (except for the occassional binge drinking of course :fp:)

Thanks for the article, always looking for more fodder to throw at the significant other - who seems to think i'm an alcoholic if I open a beer every night...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    john roach wrote:
    If my math is right, I should live for ever if I maintain my current rate of daily consumption. Yay for my team.

:lol:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    "in moderation? :?:
    Whats this? :think: :think: :problem:
    I've never heard of it. :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    mysticweed wrote:
    measured on factors including dexterity, emotion, cognition and mobility.

This is only because drinkers know what it feels like to temporarily inhibit these senses...we appreciate them so much more when they come back the next day that we're just better at them. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    norm wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

slow down there girl...

:nono:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm right on pace.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    Seriously, what the fuck is this "moderation" thing they were talking about?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

Ask Kat or Sea. :lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    mysticweed wrote:

This is only because drinkers know what it feels like to temporarily inhibit these senses...we appreciate them so much more when they come back the next day that we're just better at them. ;)

Less is More :ugeek: :mrgreen:
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    mysticweed wrote:

i recall your magic number is 7

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    mysticweed wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

i recall your magic number is 7[/quote]

Not Today, played hookey,12 and counting!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mickeyrat wrote:
    it's a bullshit deal, man. that's what it is
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    mickeyrat wrote:

I believe it's an old, old wooden ship.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :lol: finally a study for me ...

but

moderation will kill ya ... go for it! :P
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    So when in what was supposed to be a fun fathers day quiz/card for my 9 year old son, he answered the question "My Dad's favorite thing to do is" with "Mix a Manhattan", I no longer need to be worried...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

played hookey,12 and counting!

hmmm......sounds like my kind of day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    pandora wrote:

but

yes...a good plan is to be a drunken little bastard. :|
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:

but

yes...a good plan is to be a drunken little bastard. :|
    :nono: :fp: :lol:8-)
  • So when in what was supposed to be a fun fathers day quiz/card for my 9 year old son, he answered the question "My Dad's favorite thing to do is" with "Mix a Manhattan", I no longer need to be worried...

Awesome!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Hooray!

Life IS good! :D
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    DewieCox wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

• I didn't need a study to tell me that. Just the occasional 12 pack or bottle of wine.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,763
    Too many good posts in the thread...
    DewieCox wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

If moderation is an old wooden ship.... Does that mean I've walked the plank? ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.