Motivation

FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
edited November 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Give me some motivation to practice guitar.

Inspiring words, pictures of Mike melting faces, youtube videos, anything that might help me keep picking up my guitar.

Mike's yellow ledbetter solo on the MSG DVD is what originally inspired me to pick up guitar in the first place, but shortly after my life got very busy. I want to find more time to practice and learn, but when I do have time I do something else.... :x

Inspire and motivate me to practice! :)

Let this post motivate you and others too!

Thanks

EDIT: Added the youtube video link
2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,823
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
    Pap wrote:

Wow this was exactly the video I was going to post!. I came across it a few years ago and it blew me away and also game me some ideas and inspiration at the same time
    Great stuff!
  • Jane's Addiction (w\Flea) - "Ocean Size" - Hammerstein Ballroom - Halloween 1997

Crank it UP!

BTW,
    if Yellow Ledbetter inspired you to play, you should learn it, if you haven't already.
    If you have the basics down, you should work on the solo.

It's actually a fairly "easy"\straightfoward song to learn.
    In E Maj
    Chords are basically E - B - A

The solo and the riff are based around the 9th position (pointer finger at 9th fret ready to play notes\chords) of the E Major Pentatonic Scale

The solo meanders back to 7th position, and up to the E octave at 12th position but really starts and ends at 9th position.

Just look in that scale link above at the 9th fret area on all strings ...
    pent_1a.gif
    source site - good intro to scale patterns

NOW LOOK AT\LISTEN TO THE TAB:
    Yellow Ledbetter Tab - @ Songsterr -- CHECK IT OUT. IT PLAYS FOR YOU (or, go get GuitarPro)

It will also probably help you, in addition to understanding both the E Maj Pentatonic Scale\patterns (which is HUGELY important in rock on guitar, as your guitar is in E "tuning" by default) and how they relate to the song, to examine the chords played, the E, B and A, which are the 1st, 5th and 4th chords of the scale, and how they "fit" in to the scale.

You can do this by just looking at the barre shapes of those chords as you play them (E and B at seventh fret, and the A at the 5th fret) and matching them against the parent 7 toneE Major Scale (from which the 5 tone PENTatonic scale is derived).

Also check this free preview section of this book which discusses and illustrates some of this as well.
    Yellow Ledbetter "esplained"

Note the one illustration which shows the pentatonic notes in grey and the other 2 notes of the 7 note major scale added in white.

Look,
    i threw all this at you because, it may look overwhelming at first, but if you go back and RELATE all these mentioned items TOGETHER, you will start to (albeit slowly) UNLOCK the guitar fretboard. Once you "unlock" it, songs will "make sense" and you will not be "fishing" around for right notes, or scratching your head dumbfounded.

Once you under stand basic Pentatonic construction, can relate some basic chord shapes to scale positions, and once you are able to move forward and backward from one position to another (which happens easier than you would think, provided you keep practicing songs, finding positions, and practicing those specific positiosn) ... you eventually end up being able to "walk" your way up and down the fret board with SOME degree of proficiency.

So start with what inspired you.
    And as the old shirt says, DONT GIVE UP.

PS - that McCready link is sitting on my youtube account. :ugeek:
    don't tell anyone. ;)
    I couldn't find it on the webs, asked for it again over here, and posted it.
    needs to be seen by those who know & love. :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Jane's Addiction (w\Flea) - "Ocean Size" - Hammerstein Ballroom - Halloween 1997

Crank it UP!

BTW,
    if Yellow Ledbetter inspired you to play, you should learn it, if you haven't already.
    If you have the basics down, you should work on the solo.

It's actually a fairly "easy"\straightfoward song to learn.
    In E Maj
    Chords are basically E - B - A

The solo and the riff are based around the 9th position (pointer finger at 9th fret ready to play notes\chords) of the E Major Pentatonic Scale

The solo meanders back to 7th position, and up to the E octave at 12th position but really starts and ends at 9th position.

Just look in that scale link above at the 9th fret area on all strings ...
    pent_1a.gif
    source site - good intro to scale patterns

NOW LOOK AT\LISTEN TO THE TAB:
    Yellow Ledbetter Tab - @ Songsterr -- CHECK IT OUT. IT PLAYS FOR YOU (or, go get GuitarPro)

It will also probably help you, in addition to understanding both the E Maj Pentatonic Scale\patterns (which is HUGELY important in rock on guitar, as your guitar is in E "tuning" by default) and how they relate to the song, to examine the chords played, the E, B and A, which are the 1st, 5th and 4th chords of the scale, and how they "fit" in to the scale.

You can do this by just looking at the barre shapes of those chords as you play them (E and B at seventh fret, and the A at the 5th fret) and matching them against the parent 7 toneE Major Scale (from which the 5 tone PENTatonic scale is derived).

Also check this free preview section of this book which discusses and illustrates some of this as well.
    Yellow Ledbetter "esplained"

Note the one illustration which shows the pentatonic notes in grey and the other 2 notes of the 7 note major scale added in white.

Look,
    i threw all this at you because, it may look overwhelming at first, but if you go back and RELATE all these mentioned items TOGETHER, you will start to (albeit slowly) UNLOCK the guitar fretboard. Once you "unlock" it, songs will "make sense" and you will not be "fishing" around for right notes, or scratching your head dumbfounded.

Once you under stand basic Pentatonic construction, can relate some basic chord shapes to scale positions, and once you are able to move forward and backward from one position to another (which happens easier than you would think, provided you keep practicing songs, finding positions, and practicing those specific positiosn) ... you eventually end up being able to "walk" your way up and down the fret board with SOME degree of proficiency.

So start with what inspired you.
    And as the old shirt says, DONT GIVE UP.

PS - that McCready link is sitting on my youtube account. :ugeek:
    don't tell anyone. ;)
    I couldn't find it on the webs, asked for it again over here, and posted it.
    needs to be seen by those who know & love. :D

THANK YOU!

I'm still at work right now, but this has definitely motivated me!

I started to kind of learn the intro to YL, but can't really play it well. And I didn't even look at the solo yet because it looks way too hard for my skill level.. :lol:

I have never looked into learning music theory although I definitely have an urge to. I am interested in it, but I never know where to start. This definitely feels like a great starting point. I have alot of questions but I think I need to reread alot and actually have the guitar in my hands to be able to fully understand.

My first question though, is about GuitarPro. That's on ultimate-guitar.com right? How much better is that than the free tabs they have?

Like I said, I'm still in work so I am going to need to really digest it more later tonight.

Thanks you! I really appreciate this! :) And I will definitely have many more questions :lol:

PS What mccready link are you talking about? :?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
  • Also,
    don't tell anyone this, either.
    but i "jam" with this video a LOT:
    Fleetwood Mac - Monday Morning - Live in Japan, '77

The extended sort've honkey-tonk\blues\funk intro is a reminder that it can be "FUN" to play ... just messing around really. Once you sort of "get the hang" of scales and chord shapes, you realize how much Lindsay is just "goofing" in the beginning, and yet it sounds good too. The solo at the end, though simple in terms of notes is actually pretty dang complicated (in the way he is finger picking) and sounds like butter to my ears. This video reminds me how much "good music" is a synthesis of
    good songwriting
    good playing
    AND
    GOOD ENERGY.

If you can be decent at your instrument,
    but yet have GREAT ENERGY, you can compensate a LOT.

[btw this song, with a capo on fret 4, is really just a bunch of A, D and E chords repeated]
  • FrankieG wrote:
    GuitarPro. That's on ultimate-guitar.com right? How much better is that than the free tabs they have?

GuitarPro is a program that is NOT free (ahem) that had nothing to do with ultimate-guitar.com

Ultimate-Guitar has now either invented their own online version of a tab player program, or maybe has partnered\licensed with guitarpro? ... i dunno ... but you for a long time now have been able to download guitarpro files off of their site and several other "leading" guitar tab sites on the web.

It is pretty much like the link i gave you (down towards bottom of last post) for that songster site which tabs out and then plays the tab for you.

guitarpro supports lots of cool stuff like a ton of different "realistic" (eh, more or less) instrument \ amplifier sounds, effects, multitrack (it will play 3 guitars, 2 vocals, a drum track, keyboard, etc all at once) and blah blah blah.

You're more than welcome.

I just try to steer nice folks here away from the same pitfalls i made when learning guitar,
    namely, relying blindly on tab, and ignoring "music theory" to my own detriment, being far too ignorant for far too long because of it.

When you get home, pick up your guitar,
    read some of what is written above, PLAY that scale pattern at the 9th fret,
    LISTEN to yellow ledbetter ... PLAY the songster tab ... LOOK at the scale pattern, try to FEEL the notes as you watch them go by on songster and LISTEN to the chord changes (even if "full" chords aren't being played) ... play a bunch of E, B and A chords as you can hear they are appropriate and then start trying to noodle around in positions around those chords ...

this process you can do with any song, and it helps you understand the relation between the notes\chords the song writer chose and the scale that he chose them from, and when you can relate those chosen chords to that scale, and "see" that scale on your fretboard ... THEN you can start to try to "feel" your way around that scale position ... at which point you will probably be at least\if not more than halfway to entering the same head space the song author himself was in -- at least in terms of matching theory to APPLICATION.

This sounds like gobbledegook until you have actually PLAYED the scale pattern (hell, several of them) and then starts to become much more sensical as you gain that experience. After a while your hand and mind learn how to use the note you are playing at the moment to relate to your head to relate to your finger which note (by pattern recognition in the brain) to play next.

PS - DONT get discouraged.
    Almost EVERYthing you probably ever want to play (if you are a Rock Dork) is either based around a minor or a major pentatonic scale, rather explicitly. And the good news is if the thought of 1 scale hurts your head and the thought of TWO scales seems impossible, know this ... they are really the SAME scale, just started at different positions. Once you start trying some Maj Pent. scales, go try a Min. Pent scale. You'll see how the "sound" and "feel" is totally different (where you want to "stop" and "start" your phrases just naturally seems to fall differently) but ... you will recognize ONE thing ... the PATTERN. The SAME. Its just how music is man. Learn those. Then learn where the "blues notes" fall, and you will be WELL on your way.

PPS - just played that songster tab all the way through. Don't get to hung up trying to match it to the T, cuz it's got some fucked up phrasing in it (timing of notes is off sort of) and if you just use several different tabs as a guidepost, after a while, you should be able to fake it fairly well based on your ear\understanding of the scale positions\patterns, and common sense\trial\error.
    :D

[edit:] and this motivates the FUCK out of me: Guns N Roses - "Out Ta Get Me" - '88 - The Ritz

and, dork-tho-may-he-be, this one STILL has me inspired (ie. no way can i play a good approximation) in the sense of The-Student-Becomes-The-Master, as Crenshaw's version, though "just a cover" is FAR superior to any version Buddy Holly released (though, long live holly).
    Marshall Crenshaw - Buddy Holly's "Cryin' Waitin' Hopin' at MTV Awards '87(?)
    (the solo on the La Bamba soundtrack version is nuts too, imho)
  • I Got You (verona '00)

one of my favorites of all time.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I jam to this (on CD) all the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34P9C5vTLkI

And for pure guitar pleasure:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNSHBiG ... age#t=401s
    (just watch.....the payoff is huge)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Bad, phish!

(lol, sorry, stereotypical phish hater here :D)

Garden - THE SHIT
  • Hearing Peter Buck's guitar playing on early REM records - Dad used to spin these whilst making breakfast when I was a kid in the 80s - and hearing Paul Westerberg shredding on Replacements albums my babysitter would bring over - these were moments that inspired me to want to play guitar!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • +1 to Peter Buck & REM. Sexy riffs & fills for pop rock. err. early college alternative? ??? lol

uh...
    here's one for you frankie,
    i've been huntin' down this version for the last year, since half my cd boots are shot, and the other half stolen by assholes, i can't always remember WHERE a version was played, but ... CHECK OUT THE DELAY ON THE ENDING...

Yellow Ledbetter

(jone's? nope. cincy, nah-ah, columbus, sheesh, ...)
    of COURSE
    it was CHARLOTTE!
    :D:D:D
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Set up some concerts. That'll get your butt in gear. :? :D

There's nothing like some looming dates to get you to practice!! :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,170
    justam wrote:
    Set up some concerts. That'll get your butt in gear. :? :D

There's nothing like some looming dates to get you to practice!! :mrgreen:
    i gotta second this.

sometimes this is the only thing that motivates me to practice.

what also has motivated me is when practicing i will listen to the radio or tv and just try to figure out the songs on the radio or the little jingles on the commercials. sounds kooky i know, but it has helped me develop my ears, and that in turn motivated me to learn more.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I Got You (verona '00)

one of my favorites of all time.

Nice! Simpler than I would have thought :D
    +1 to Peter Buck & REM. Sexy riffs & fills for pop rock. err. early college alternative? ??? lol

uh...
    i've been huntin' down this version for the last year, since half my cd boots are shot, and the other half stolen by assholes, i can't always remember WHERE a version was played, but ... CHECK OUT THE DELAY ON THE ENDING...

Yellow Ledbetter

of COURSE
    it was CHARLOTTE!

:lol:
    And :shock: The ending was awesome! :mrgreen:

I have been trying to figure this out forever... what song does he tag in this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8ZBgz7eWg&t=4m35s
  • FrankieG wrote:
    +1 to Peter Buck & REM. Sexy riffs & fills for pop rock. err. early college alternative? ??? lol

uh...

Yellow Ledbetter

of COURSE
    it was CHARLOTTE!

:lol:
    And :shock: The ending was awesome! :mrgreen:

I have been trying to figure this out forever... what song does he tag in this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8ZBgz7eWg&t=4m35s

Uh. I'm almost 100% sure that is NOT a tag\cover, just Mike noodling around with appregios on E, B, and A with sick delay.

That ending (not necessarily that exact version, but like that style, and the Charlotte link) is my favorite for YL.

That and when Mike did Dance The Night Away a few times (WPB 2000, and a few others) ...

i never can QUITE figure out what he is playing but its something like
    E at 12th, B at 7th, A at 5th, and then E at 9th.

You are holding a regular E barre chord shape for all of this, pointer, middle & ring, pointer starts on 12th fret of B string (e chord at 12).
    [delay makes it really hard to tell if he is re-picking bass notes, or if it is just delay]
    [ps - i (ghost noted) stuff that sounded appropriate but may be delay\implied notes]

Chord: E
    e
    [slidedown]
    B
    12--12--12
    G
    13--13--13----14--14--14
    14--14--13--13/////
    D-14--14--14
    (14?)
    (14?)
    (14?)
    A
    E

Chord: B
    --(you slid your pointer down to that seven)
    \\7--7
    7--7
    10\\9\\

8--8
    9--9--9

(9)
    (9)

Chord: A
    \\5
    (0)----
    5--5

6--6
    (6)----(6)----

Chord: Back To E
    (0)
    (12)--(12)
    -14----14

LAST time he resolves to E (see above) looks like he chords it at 9 with a hammer on pinkie @ b-10
    9---9
    10----10---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    7---7----7
    7---7--7
    REPEAT, and NOODLE AWAY.
    TURN UP THE DELAY!
    Uh. I'm almost 100% sure that is NOT a tag\cover, just Mike noodling around with appregios on E, B, and A with sick delay.

That ending (not necessarily that exact version, but like that style, and the Charlotte link) is my favorite for YL.

That and when Mike did Dance The Night Away a few times (WPB 2000, and a few others) ...

You are holding a regular E barre chord shape for all of this, pointer, middle & ring, pointer starts on 12th fret of B string (e chord at 12).
    [delay makes it really hard to tell if he is re-picking bass notes, or if it is just delay]
    [ps - i (ghost noted) stuff that sounded appropriate but may be delay\implied notes]

e
    [slidedown]
    B
    12--12--12
    G
    13--13--13----14--14--14
    14--14--13--13/////
    D-14--14--14
    (14?)
    (14?)
    (14?)
    A
    E

\\7--7
    7--7
    10\\9\\

8--8
    9--9--9

(9)
    (9)

\\5
    (0)----
    5--5

6--6
    (6)----(6)----

(0)
    (12)--(12)
    -14----14

LAST time he resolves to E (see above) looks like he chords it at 9 with a hammer on pinkie @ b-10
    9---9
    10----10---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    7---7----7
    7---7--7
    REPEAT, and NOODLE AWAY.
    TURN UP THE DELAY!

:shock: :shock: You're good. Holy crap I have been looking for some kind of help to place this.

Do you have a better version of the part on a different video? I know they are out there, but I couldn't find one and stumbled on this one. :)

Sadly, I don't have a delay pedal yet.. I have told myself that I will buy once once I'm good enough to buy one. I want to focus on getting better overall first, if that makes sense..

But I am going to try to play this now, hopefully I can kinda get it :)
    FrankieG wrote:

e
    [slidedown]
    B
    12--12--12
    G
    13--13--13----14--14--14
    14--14--13--13/////
    D-14--14--14
    (14?)
    (14?)
    (14?)
    A
    E

\\7--7
    7--7
    10\\9\\

8--8
    9--9--9

(9)
    (9)

\\5
    (0)----
    5--5

6--6
    (6)----(6)----

(0)
    (12)--(12)
    -14----14

9---9
    10----10---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    9---9
    9---9--9
    7---7----7
    7---7--7
    REPEAT, and NOODLE AWAY.
    TURN UP THE DELAY!

Here we go, found another version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQkS89a9IE&t=7m15s 8-)
    I agree with you, this is definitely one of the best versions he plays. :)

But this whole mix is just amazing. I wish they mixed the video together too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQkS89a9IE It just keeps going and going and going :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • FrankieG wrote:
    Here we go, found another version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQkS89a9IE&t=7m15s 8-)
    I agree with you, this is definitely one of the best versions he plays. :)
    This is a link to the "Tag Mix" @ 7m15s, which is a tag of Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" ...
    did you mean to link a different video?
    FrankieG wrote:
    But this whole mix is just amazing. I wish they mixed the video together too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQkS89a9IE It just keeps going and going and going :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Yeah, the YL mix is good.
    FrankieG wrote:
    You're good. Holy crap I have been looking for some kind of help to place this.
    ... no. i'm really just moderately mediocre.
    I promise.

But i DO like to help others.
    Guitar is fun. I like it. & its fun to help others get excited.
    FrankieG wrote:
    Do you have a better version of the part on a different video? I know they are out there, but I couldn't find one and stumbled on this one.

The Charlotte 2000 show is really the only show i was previously aware of where he did the version of the ending we are talking about. In trying to re-find that version, i did stumble upon this version, which is essentially the same (although Charlotte has much more radical delay employed) ...
    Nuremburg '00 Yellow Ledbetter ... i think if you watch that video, you will be able to see just how easy the fingering really is ...
    the camera zooms in on Mike's left hand as he is playing, and you can clearly see him forming the bar chord formation and throwing in the hammer-on's with his pinky. It is a slight variation on the tab i posted above, but more or less the same.

I think you can get it.
    Just work on timing, don't be too particular about hitting the exact note sequence, and you should be able to get it. Just make sure you are fretting the E, B, and A chord formations at the right time, and try to pick at NEARLY the right strings at the right time. If you hit one string above and 1 string below you should be fine, becuase, hey, you are fretting the same chord Mike is playing, it can't go wrong. E, B, A.
    Just play.

PS.
    I only half think this is worth mentioning, but i don't want you to get thrown off.
    In the Nuremburg video linked above, Mike is clearly fretting the "first" part of the riff i tabbed before at E9 and not E12 ... so i'll show you this, 'less you get confused.

THIS is the start to that portion that i had PREVIOUSLY posted:
    e
    [slidedown]
    B
    12--12--12
    G
    13--13--13----14--14--14
    14--14--13--13/////
    D-14--14--14
    (14?)
    (14?)
    (14?)
    A
    E

but THIS is what Mike starts in the Nuremburg video with:
    e
    B
    9--9
    10--10
    12--12
    10--10----9--9
    G
    9--9
    9---9
    9----9
    9---9----9--9----11-11-
    D
    9--9
    9---9
    9----9
    9---9----9--9
    9--9--
    A
    E

anyhow.
    they are both E chords.
    He just apparently started the phrasing on E9 and not E at 12.
    just FYI so you don't try and figure out why it just looked different than the tab i had.
    everything else he plays is really the same, except he may have phrased it slightly different. But definately the same chord shapes in the same positions.
    This is a link to the "Tag Mix" @ 7m15s, which is a tag of Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" ...
    did you mean to link a different video?

:fp: I guess I got confused or messed something up...
    FrankieG wrote:
    You're good. Holy crap I have been looking for some kind of help to place this.
    ... no. i'm really just moderately mediocre.
    I promise.

But i DO like to help others.
    Guitar is fun. I like it. & its fun to help others get excited.
    It sure seems like you are good with how much info you know...
    And I really appreciate it! This has really helped me playing.

The Charlotte 2000 show is really the only show i was previously aware of where he did the version of the ending we are talking about. In trying to re-find that version, i did stumble upon this version, which is essentially the same (although Charlotte has much more radical delay employed) ...
    Nuremburg '00 Yellow Ledbetter ... i think if you watch that video, you will be able to see just how easy the fingering really is ...
    the camera zooms in on Mike's left hand as he is playing, and you can clearly see him forming the bar chord formation and throwing in the hammer-on's with his pinky. It is a slight variation on the tab i posted above, but more or less the same.

Yeah, that zoom will help.
    But I did find some more versions haha :mrgreen:
    Copenhagen 07

Argentina

London 09

Netherlands 06

:mrgreen::mrgreen:8-)8-)

I think you can get it.
    Just work on timing, don't be too particular about hitting the exact note sequence, and you should be able to get it. Just make sure you are fretting the E, B, and A chord formations at the right time, and try to pick at NEARLY the right strings at the right time. If you hit one string above and 1 string below you should be fine, becuase, hey, you are fretting the same chord Mike is playing, it can't go wrong. E, B, A.
    Just play.

PS.
    I only half think this is worth mentioning, but i don't want you to get thrown off.
    In the Nuremburg video linked above, Mike is clearly fretting the "first" part of the riff i tabbed before at E9 and not E12 ... so i'll show you this, 'less you get confused.

THIS is the start to that portion that i had PREVIOUSLY posted:
    e
    [slidedown]
    B
    12--12--12
    G
    13--13--13----14--14--14
    14--14--13--13/////
    D-14--14--14
    (14?)
    (14?)
    (14?)
    A
    E

but THIS is what Mike starts in the Nuremburg video with:
    e
    B
    9--9
    10--10
    12--12
    10--10----9--9
    G
    9--9
    9---9
    9----9
    9---9----9--9----11-11-
    D
    9--9
    9---9
    9----9
    9---9----9--9
    9--9--
    A
    E

anyhow.
    they are both E chords.
    He just apparently started the phrasing on E9 and not E at 12.
    just FYI so you don't try and figure out why it just looked different than the tab i had.
    everything else he plays is really the same, except he may have phrased it slightly different. But definately the same chord shapes in the same positions.

Ah this is so great! THANK YOU!
    I really appreciate the help!
    Gonna try this tomorrow as it's too late to play tonight...
  • Think about how bad you sound after not practicing for a few weeks!
    Think about how bad you sound after not practicing for a few weeks!

:lol: Very true! Thanks! I will keep that in mind.
  • FrankieG wrote:
    Think about how bad you sound after not practicing for a few weeks!

:lol: Very true! Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

:D It works for me. Well, most of the time!
  • UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find this to be equal parts inspiring AND obnoxious.
    Half makes me want to try harder, half makes me want to quit:

Guy Fucking Nailing "Top Of The World" By Van Hagar

Vintage Live Van Hagar for Comparison

What a mother fucker, huh?

I thought i was doing a DECENT job learning to play it,
    then i saw this "asshole".

Lol.
    :( :( :(
    https://new.livestream.com/livestreamse ... ightanthem

this is what inspired me yesterday. a little long, but he has some really inspirational words

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol.

:shock: :o <--- Literally combine these two faces, and you will get the face I had for that video...

That doesn't belong in this thread. that's not motivation. thats demotivation that i will never be that good so why try :lol::lol: :x
  • FrankieG wrote:
    https://new.livestream.com/livestreamsessions/thegaslightanthem

this is what inspired me yesterday. a little long, but he has some really inspirational words

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol.

:shock: :o <--- Literally combine these two faces, and you will get the face I had for that video...

That doesn't belong in this thread. that's not motivation. thats demotivation that i will never be that good so why try :lol::lol: :x

Don't ever go watch the video of the little 9 yr old pinoy kid playing Crazy Train then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah his chord fretting isn't the greatest but he fucking nails finger tapping the solo, and I hate him for it.
    FrankieG wrote:

Don't ever go watch the video of the little 9 yr old pinoy kid playing Crazy Train then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah his chord fretting isn't the greatest but he fucking nails finger tapping the solo, and I hate him for it.

:o :shock:

That kid's hands are like half the size of mind!!! Holy crap... thats nuts!!!!

That kid will be able to do anything he ever puts his mind too...