Saw bad accident

faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Yesterday on lunch I saw some commotion ahead of me in other lane. As I get closer I can hear screaming and crying. Turns out a truck must have turned in front of a guy and his gf on a motorcycle. He was laying on hood of truck, and she was on ground shaking, screaming and crying. The guys bike was crushed. It was horrible. The both lived, but after seeing that I was pretty upset about it.
People need to be more aware of motorcycles. That guy could have been killed.
Then I see ambulance comming, oh btw, when I saw it no emergency people were there at all.
But I saw one comming, and the fucking people on road not pulling over to let them by disgusts me.
I screamed out window at one guy to move the fuck over. Idiot.
Here's a link to the news report. Not much in it, but there a pic of truck and bike.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/06/19 ... n-windsor/
Just, not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said, I dont want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    geez
    glad to hear they were both OK, relatively
    wow
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    oh boy..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Glad that they are ok.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    watch-for-motorcycles_250x153.gif
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Wow, glad those folks made it. I saw a bad one as a kid where a guy died. Surprisingly, I still bought a motorcycle 15 years later. Gave it up once I moved to South Florida though. I love motorcycles, but I cant imagine riding one ever again...the drivers down here are atrocious....and then there's cell phones too..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've seen similar here and have to say that it's incumbent on both - those in cars AND on motorcycles - to be aware of what and who's around them.

And yeah, most folks are so busy chatting it up or texting while driving that they don't even notice the siren scream.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    A 27 year old I knew got killed a few weeks ago when a texting driver smashed into him from behind at a red light. I decided then and there that a bike is not worth it around where I live.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Damn that sucks :( Glad no one was killed though...people really gotta pay more attention!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited June 2012
    Good to see no one was killed.

Obviously people need to keep an eye out for bikes but I think it's a little hypocritical of them to preach so much about that when they're not taking the furthest measures to protect themselves. Too many without helmets, not running their headlights and riding dangerously close to each other and other traffic.

I've seen quite a few accidents. Used to work at a fairly busy intersection. There always people running the stop lights one way or the other. Another time I saw a 3-wheeler get side swiped by a pickup doin about 50 mph. The girl rolled with the atc and a boy was sent flying about 30 feet and landed folded in half in a ditch. They were both home from the hospital that night.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Motorcyclists also need to be more careful. Most times I see motorcycles on the road (unless it's a big group riding together) they drive like idiots. If traffic is stopped they just weave through it, if it's not stopped and they're going down the road they weave through traffic going fast as hell, passing people on the shoulder or actually right between cars, just because they can squeeze through.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    Motorcyclists also need to be more careful. Most times I see motorcycles on the road (unless it's a big group riding together) they drive like idiots. If traffic is stopped they just weave through it, if it's not stopped and they're going down the road they weave through traffic going fast as hell, passing people on the shoulder or actually right between cars, just because they can squeeze through.

Yesterday I was going 70 and a motorcycle wizzed past me and lightly brushed my driver's side mirror :o
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Yesterday I was going 70 and a motorcycle wizzed past me and lightly brushed my driver's side mirror :o

+1

I hate motorcyclist and drivers like that! Total.....

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=166918
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Honestly at this point, EVERYONE needs to be more careful, cyclists, motorcyclists and drivers alike. I was just hit from behind last Saturday waiting to pull into a very busy intersection, because the guy behind me 'thought I was going to go' :evil: How about waiting till you see if I actually do go out? Besides, each person needs to stop independently, not just follow the person ahead of them.

I'm not obsessive about rules, but traffic rules work. They are there for a reason and they make sense. Just freakin' follow them and pay attention.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I screamed out window at one guy to move the fuck over. Idiot.

You blew a perfect opportunity to call that guy exactly what he was: a ratfuck.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I give motorcycles plenty of room. I live in CT and take 95 to work, only 3 exits. Almost everyday I see at least one crazy guy on a bike going about 90 and weaving in and out of traffic or just riding up his own made up lane between cars (even when the cars are moving, not stopped in traffic)

The house where I grew up is on a pretty sharp curve on a mostly straight street. We had countless accidents in front of the house but at least 5 motorcycle fatalities that come to mind. One was a schoolmate. that was a tough one.

A few years ago I was driving through a busy intersection and the car in front of me went around a SUV that was just kind of hanging out in the middle of the road. I was like what a dummy what is she doing???? It took my brain a minute to process what I was seeing, but a guy on a bike was stuck under her car. Holy crap, the screaming was terrible. The screaming stopped and it was my "job" to keep the woman in her car. She was hysterical asking where the bike was. Oh what a mess.....I was shaking the rest of my ride home. Guy was lucky, broken leg and hip but otherwise ok. He ran the light.

Just like all drivers most are responsible but there are the idiots too. Scare the crap out of me....
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    in 1981 I was following my ex to (his) work and (my) school. Rt 29 South in Lambertville NJ. He was riding his pride MotoGuzzi, I was in my VW. I had to drop off the baby at my Mom's house along the way. He continued on down the road. As I'm unpacking the baby, I hear sirens. My Dad was a firefighter/paramedic so I hear the alarm on his house radio. My heart sank to my stomach. You know ..when you just KNOW that someone you care about is in big trouble. So I hurried out of there and down the road dreading what I might see and hoping that it wasn't him. But, if was. A kid in a car had been driving North on 29 heading into town, hubby was riding South on 29 headed out of town. The kid crossed over onto a side road right into the path of my ex on his bike. I arrived as the ambulance and police were arriving. He had t-boned the car, flew I don't know how far over the car, a long way it seemed, his helmet flew off, he was laying in the road bleeding and moaning. His face was a mess. He couldn't move. And all he kept saying was that he couldn't breathe and he was going to die. I believed it. It was the most awful feeling. Cut to later, ambulance ride to local hospital, we arrive at the ER. I am put in this seclusion room and his sister is called in. We wait. We can hear him screaming in the treatment room. Soon the doctors come out and tell us that the head injury is too severe for them to handle. He will be flown to a trauma center (kind of a new idea at the time). They prep him and a doctor gets ready for the flight. By then the neurologist has arrived..no...no helicopter ride. He does not recommend the elevated air pressure that a flight would cause due to the nature of the head injury, which we didn't understand yet. So an ambulance will transfer him. We should drive ahead they tell us. The drive was about 45 minutes...the most horrible 45 minutes you can ever imagine, wondering if your husband is still alive and you can't be with him. Long story short, we all make it to the Trauma Center. He is taken into surgery, docs tell me they are only concerned about saving his life at this point and there will be later surgeries to come. They do save him. It is touch and go for several days after. He is totally unrecognizable, face swollen, eyes won't open, feeding tube, ventilator, pressure tube into his brain, bandaged top to bottom. Turns out that his forehead bone had been fractured and had splintered into his brain. That was the worst problem. Half of his face had the skin torn off of it. That was another major thing to deal with. Other injuries included a broken jaw, a broken right arm, crushed right wrist that would never bend again, broken leg. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital. Endured several surgeries. He would sustain minor brain damage and would spend the next 8 months in a rehabilitation center learning how to do simple things that required fine motor skills that were lost due to the injuries. He would suffer through another year of plastic surgeries to his face. In the end he was a changed person. Whether it was the brain injury. Whether it was the frustration that followed. Whether it was his inability to work ( was extremely proud of his work ethic) for 2 years following the accident. I don't know. But he became an old bitter young man. People always said that it must have been the brain injury. He would have outbursts of anger. I realized how frustrated he was. Things were never the same. Life had changed for him and for us in the blink of an eye.
    I stopped riding bikes after that but surprisingly he did not. He had a Harley that he had rebuilt as a teenager. 51 Panhead. That was his weekend bike. He got another Moto Guzzi, a yamaha that he called a crotch rocket, and many more. He still rides. Thank goodness this never happened again. Not to him. But to buddies, yes, Not so bad as this, but bad is bad enough.
    ANYWAY>...PLEASE....watch out for motorcycles!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Two things..

There's so many bad drivers out there, anyone who gets on a bike needs to understand this and understand the risks. Any little fender bender accident is life and death for a biker.

Also, probably 7 out of 10 bikers I see are driving wrecklessly, at least in my area. I have no pity for them. Popping wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, completely disregarding the law and people around them.

If you are going to be a biker, prepare for the dangerous life that goes with it.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Bikers=Organ Donors
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Two things..

There's so many bad drivers out there, anyone who gets on a bike needs to understand this and understand the risks. Any little fender bender accident is life and death for a biker.

Also, probably 7 out of 10 bikers I see are driving wrecklessly, at least in my area. I have no pity for them. Popping wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, completely disregarding the law and people around them.

If you are going to be a biker, prepare for the dangerous life that goes with it.

Internet discussions about this topic almost always transition into how the more vulnerable road user is the one usually breaking the law and being risky and away from the way too high number of reckless and irresponsible drivers that are on the road. People make excuses and just passively accept that there will be poor drivers on the road and drivers breaking the law is just normalized. It's also implied in discussions and media stories that the impetus for safety is on the more vulnerable user, when actually is should be on the driver of the 3-6,000 lbs. vehicle.

In what other type of situation in our society can you kill someone while breaking the law by essentially using a weapon and the most severe consequence is a ticket?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Bikers=Organ Donors

:fp:
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    DS1119 wrote:
    Bikers=Organ Donors

:fp:
    Last night, around 11:30 pm, I am driving my Semi on 294 in Chicago.
    Out of fucking nowhere, here come 10-15 Bikers, all doing about 90-100 miles an hour, some with 2 people on the fucking bike. These ASSHOLES were just BEGGING to be scraped off the highway in a million pieces.

Fuck em
    I just hope they have their organ donor cards all signed and legal.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....