Power Chords

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited June 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
My index finger always wants to do a bar instead of lightly touching the strings. Any tips?
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Are power chords a must to learn? I really just play acoustic
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Nothing is a necessity to learn.
    But yes, you should learn\be comfortable playing barre chords \ power chords.

That being said, what you are describing doesn't really sound like a problem at all.

This is a Barre Chord:

e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

This is a "Power Chord":
    e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

The notes in bold would be what your index\pointer finger is responsible for.

It really doesn't\shouldn't matter HOW your pointer is laid across the strings, as long as it is hitting that root tone\note on the low E string, you will fret your power chord just fine.

Some songs do make use of open tones on the higher strings, like so:
    e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

But this should be a non issue really, as the difference between
    e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

AND
    THIS
    e
    B
    G
    D
    A
    E

should be the SLIGHTEST change in pressure & angle in the way your index comes across the frets in "barre" formation. To get from the full bar to those open bottom strings is simply to "push" your elbow "forward (out from your chest) which then tightens the angle between your forearm and wrist, pushing the lower part of your index finger off the strings.

You can practice this as an exercise, i reckon.

The difference between these two fingerings above IS the slight difference between a Barre Chord & a Power Chord.

You can either do that, or you can "curl" your pointer in "power chord" formation to seriously raise it off of the G, B, and e strings ... OR ... and i know this is a mindfuck ... you could use pick control and simply NOT PICK those three strings, EVEN if you have a full barre down the neck with your index finger.

You can certainly play a "power chord" (the E, A, and D, strings fretting a root, 5th, and octave\root tones) WITH your hand in full barre. You just either frethand mute the high strings (requires some "skill") or just DO NOT PICK them (requires minimal pick control).

Maybe you can re-explain your issue to make it sound like more of a problem,
    but it sounds like a non-issue over here, and i think i just beat the fucking deadhorse, replying.

[try learning the intro for that song, good "power chords" :D:D:D]

BONUS METHOD:
    oh ... you can also, instead of using your index, ring, AND pinky to play a power chord,
    you can use simply your index (E string) and ring finger (both A and D string freted) and from this version of the powerchord your ring finger itself becomes the perfect mute\stop for the unwanted G,B,and e strings. You just need to get used to sort of "pushing" your ring finger in to those two strings pretty good, and using that spot of pressure to "lever" the bottom portion of your finger SLIGHTLY off of the G,B,and e strings so that they are muted.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Thanks Driftin - you should be a teacher/instructor. I really appreciate the tips. I'll give it a shot and keep practicing
    www.RLMcDaniel.com