Need some help from our West Coast friends!!!

mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
hey everyone....

my wife & i are itching to move West. she just wrapped up her masters in Social Work & i have a BS in psychology (with plans to go to grad school in the next few years). we currently live in Dallas, but really want to move asap. as you all know, moving isn't cheap. so we're revving up the search/application process in the hopes that we don't have to sign another lease here. we've been applying like crazy for the last 2-4 weeks & have started to hear back from a few places. we've decided that we won't move until at least one of us has a serious job lined up. i know this may be a longshot, but i figured it's worth a try! :)

she is looking for a job in her field, whereas i am wide open to working anywhere since i plan on going to grad school soon. if you know of anything, please let me know. we're primarily looking in Portland/Northern California/Seattle right now, but we're open to other West Coast cities as well. Any & all leads/advice/tips are welcome. time is running out b/c we have to make a decision on our lease in a month. we can go month-to-month for a bit if we have to. anyway, i'm rambling. haha! ;)

if you can think of anything, please send me a pm.

thanks, everyone!!

Matt

ps---if you can't think of anything, please help me keep this bumped so everyone can see it! maybe the 10c will hire me? :D
I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Very ballsy and inspiring Matt. Good luck. :thumbup:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I am further behind you in a career and such and thus I don't have many avenues to point you in the direction of. All I can over is some couches to crash on if you ever find yourself in need of them during your travels. :lol:

But, I wish you two the BEST of luck. It's a beautiful part of the country out here.

PS. If you get a job with 10C, put in a good word for me at PJ Radio. :lol:

Again, best of luck to you in your quest. :D :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Best of luck to you!!! :D

one post closer :twisted:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Best of luck to you Matt.

I can only offer you my house to rent... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    just frickin do it, man

if it is meant to be you will sail

i moved from cornfield, iowa to westport, washington with a uhaul attached to my car and a couple grand in my pocket. within 1 month i was broke as a joke. within 5-6 weeks i was hired driving salmon around in an 18 wheeler. i drove 18 wheelers here in iowa before heading west so i had experience in trucks.

the day i was hired my boss gave me a gate key, a cell phone, one pacific pride fuel card, and $200 for truck runnin money and for me to get to work all frickin week.

when i moved to westport i had never-ever been there before. seen it on the map/atlas and decided it would be my home for what turned out to by the next 9-10 years.

then i got fed up w/ west coast attitude and ventured back to the cornfields & mississippi river valley of iowa

if you move to westport you can land a gig cleaning fish at the fish factory dealy. they only pay minimum wage and everyone's a drunkard, crack & meth freak. westport has 2,000 residence on the front door of the pacific. westport loses power several times a year due to high winds and storms and shit

aberdeen is 20 miles away. kurt cobaine's town. frickin what the fuck ever happened to aberdeen? frickin logging hillbillies and whatnot. so much drugs in that area it is a bunk ass deal. syringes on the sidewalks, public restrooms & public transit
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    just frickin do it, man

if it is meant to be you will sail

i moved from cornfield, iowa to westport, washington with a uhaul attached to my car and a couple grand in my pocket. within 1 month i was broke as a joke. within 5-6 weeks i was hired driving salmon around in an 18 wheeler. i drove 18 wheelers here in iowa before heading west so i had experience in trucks.

the day i was hired my boss gave me a gate key, a cell phone, one pacific pride fuel card, and $200 for truck runnin money and for me to get to work all frickin week.

when i moved to westport i had never-ever been there before. seen it on the map/atlas and decided it would be my home for what turned out to by the next 9-10 years.

then i got fed up w/ west coast attitude and ventured back to the cornfields & mississippi river valley of iowa

if you move to westport you can land a gig cleaning fish at the fish factory dealy. they only pay minimum wage and everyone's a drunkard, crack & meth freak. westport has 2,000 residence on the front door of the pacific. westport loses power several times a year due to high winds and storms and shit

aberdeen is 20 miles away. kurt cobaine's town. frickin what the fuck ever happened to aberdeen? frickin logging hillbillies and whatnot. so much drugs in that area it is a bunk ass deal. syringes on the sidewalks, public restrooms & public transit
    Sorry that your Washington experience was in what is basically the West Virginia of Washington. Those people are not like the people you will meet in a metropolitan area.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!! It's nerve racking & exciting all at once!! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!! It's nerve racking & exciting all at once!! :)

Tell me about. ANd good luck to you.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Being an east coaster born and raised I cant offer much advice but best of luck to you my friend. I do have family that used to live in Sacramento for years, so if that becomes an option I can ask. Also have a couple friends that live in NoCal but we only keep in touch via facebook. One works for a Gallo wines and have no clue what the other does...he's sort of disappeared. Keep us posted!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Thanks to all for the pm's. Keep 'em coming! :)

And Lisa....if you're serious, maybe we will rent your house!! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Tuesday bump
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    dcfaithful wrote:
    But, I wish you two the BEST of luck. It's a beautiful part of the country out here.

:D :thumbup:

Utah is not the west coast, DC, unless Idaho is an ocean. Who you trying to fool with that shiz? ;)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Snakeduck wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

:D :thumbup:

Utah is not the west coast, DC, unless Idaho is an ocean. Who you trying to fool with that shiz? ;)

:cry:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    just got back home & read all of your pm's! thanks, everyone!! keep 'em coming! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    filling out a ton of applications today!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Friday bump! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com