Hotels in Chicago

-Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of you could recommend any particular hotels in Chicago?

I've never been there before and I will be visiting there for 5 nights. I'm thinking of staying near the Magnificent Mile, but if there are other areas that you would recommend, I'm open to different suggestions.

I'm just finding it hard to choose which hotel to book because I've never been, so trying to decide is doing my head in!

Basically I want to be in an area where I am within walking distance to some tourist attractions, plus some nice cafes/restaurants and shopping. I'm happy to catch cabs and everything, but it would be nice to be able to be able to get around by walking.

The hotels i've looked at online seem to be around the $300 a night mark. I don't have a set budget, but something around that amount would be OK.

Any suggestions?
PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you are cool with 300 a night, you should be able to stay just about any where.

if you want more of a neighbor hood feel, get a hotel a little further north.

mag mile is a good spot for tourists...lots of shopping and eats in the area or a short distance away.

tons of cabs. the "L" is also close by which will can take you to a number of area's for cheap.

make sure you swing by the 95th floor on the hancock for a drink and if you go to the art muesum, buy a shot glass. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    We stayed at Club Quarters, and Hotel 71, both on East Wacker I believe. Both were nice. We were there for Lollapalooza, and it was walking distance to Grant Park. (Thought the walk felt a *little* long coming back at night when we were tired, but not that bad)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I would spend equal money for a hotel outside of town.. then, use the train...
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:

i disagree...stayin away from the city can be cheaper, but given the choice, i'd prefer to stay in it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

i disagree...stayin away from the city can be cheaper, but given the choice, i'd prefer to stay in it.
    Ever been to the Travelodge on the skirt? oh yeah, by the way, thats where we were stayin! room 401 I believe.. It was money!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

Ever been to the Travelodge on the skirt? oh yeah, by the way, thats where we were stayin! room 401 I believe.. It was money!!!

which one?

on harrision in the loop?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Harrison st. I believe.. nice, cheap, clean, and in the loop.. but I wonder if a nicer room could be had on the outskirts for the same money.. then, utilize the train..
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    edited June 2012
    depends on what time of year you plan on coming out. anywhere downtown (where you will want to stay for reasons 81 pointed out) will run you between 200-275 a night during the summer time.

come in the fall/winter... you can get under 200 a night (plus cheaper airfare), but there is obviously less to do because so much shuts down after labor day-ish.

location wise.... i wouldn't stay anywhere south of grant park, and no where north of navy pier. you really want to be in the immediate michigan ave/mag mile location. just so you don't have to rely on mass transit to get everywhere, and only rely on it to get to the one or two places you might want to visit not downtown.

edit: i wouldn't stay anywhere south of lake street. anything below is a ghost town on the weekends.
    Post edited by rival. on
    Caveeze wrote:
    Harrison st. I believe.. nice, cheap, clean, and in the loop.. but I wonder if a nicer room could be had on the outskirts for the same money.. then, utilize the train..

that's downtown...i thought you meant out by the truck stops on 80 :lol::lol::lol: no offense to our trucker buddies but :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

that's downtown...i thought you meant out by the truck stops on 80 :lol::lol::lol: no offense to our trucker buddies but :?
    But considering the 140 for a room there, could a nicer 140 room be had with just a short train ride to downtown?
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    Thanks for all the replies everyone :) .

I
    rival. wrote:
    depends on what time of year you plan on coming out.

I'll be there in September :) .
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    all things considered, Club Quarters is the best in my opinion.