PLEASE HELP with TV and INTERNET?

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I am moving in less than 3 weeks and STILL haven't hooked up any "entertainment"
After looking and looking and looking
I find that I am need of some old fashioned HELP HELP HELP!
There are too many choices.

We have 2 HD TVs and 3 computers..all laptops.
We "need" great internet for editing websites w photos etc on a daily basis, streaming music and video.

I have the following choices here:

COMCAST/XFINITY seems great but pricey...BUT they bundle tv and internet and they seem to have some pretty hefty internet speeds
DirecTV looks good for TV and they have a 2 year fixed price special..really good deal but they don't tell you about internet speeds and pricing as an add on
DISH?? blah? have no idea
VERIZON/FIOS? I have no experiences there

Too many options.
Too many pricing tricks and switches.
BOTTOM LINE Which is better service wise and price wise for 3 HD TVs + high speed internet?
ANY TECHIES?
And Positive or Negative Experiences?
HELP HELP HELP!
Comcast, FIOS, DISH, DirecTV????
(I live in PA)

frustrated.jpg
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Fios 8-)

last time we had home internet, we had WOW!. i was pleased with the service.

personally, i woudl stay as far away from comcast as possible. service was ok, but customer service was aweful. they lost one of my ELECTRONIC payments and basically refused to research on thier end to find it, even after i faxed in bank statemnets showing it.

it's no suprise comcacst has such lousy customer service when you consider who is in charge of it. :fp: :lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I have heard that FIOS is only available in major cities, so check to see if it's available before deciding...

I have had Comcast my whole life when I have lived at my parents house. (TV and Internet bundle, and the internet was as fast as I needed and we got all of the HD channels I wanted so I was very happy.)

At college, I feel like we are using dial-up... I Know we are not, but whatever company it is is throtling us heavily.. (This doesn't concern you I just like to rant about that...)

I just moved into my own apartment last month and I have Comcast TV and Internet Bundle.
    I got the self-insall kit for $10. Was exremely easy to set up as long as you read the directions. The customer service was/is good, I have no complaints. Internet is as fast as I need it.

I would go with Comcast. The self Install kit can be shipped within 4 business days to your current address so you can install it as soon as you move into your new place.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    also, if you do go comcast, go buy your own modem....don't pay the montly rental for theirs. :fp: :nono:

i'd still vote anything but comcast for internet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    We have Comcast for internet, DirecTV for TV and Vonage for our phone. We're reasonably happy with the service we get from all of them.

It works out cheaper for us to do it that way than the Comcast bundle but we have to constantly pay attention to what we're being charged because we keep getting promotional rates due to us threatening to cancel our subscriptions for one or the other when the promotional period expires.

And yes, buy the modem.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    thanks guys!
    well, yeah, looking at it, buying the modem seems like a no brainer. its $8 a month to rent one from comcast. that's silly.

still haven't decided though.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I had At&t internet for over a year. it was $42, and I never had a problem.
    I moved to an area where Att doesnt have fast enough DSL for streaming, so I went with Comcast.
    Setting up my internet with comcast was the single worst experience I've EVER had with customer service. I was on the verge of cancelling it and just not having internet it was so bad. So bad.

But, they started me out at $19 (or is it $29) a month for 6 months, no contract. Then it goes to $45 for another 6 months. Then it goes up to $63. I pray that Att expands their service by then because I plan on canceling it after a year. But, the speeds are much better with comcast too.

And I think they offer a package for like 10-15 more if you want TV. but be warned, comcast support is pathetic.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)