edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
who's the guy that fixes ipods on here?
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

planned on it....

just wondering where the best place to buy a good battery. i bought some spare phone batteries off ebay and they are pretty junky..don't want the same issue for a replacement ipod battery.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:

Poke around here.

http://www.imore.com/
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I did that once to a 30g ipod, it wasn't too hard. and it still works after about 2 years. i wish I could remember the place I got it from.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Poke around here.

and of course:

that's what she said.....
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Poke around here.

that was about useless. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I did that once to a 30g ipod, it wasn't too hard. and it still works after about 2 years. i wish I could remember the place I got it from.

:fp:

looks like the place speedy linked to is a good start. i'm just leary of ebay batteries now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Poke around here.

and of course

That's what she said
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    ^^ Understandable. I replaced my 30g battery, and the 'new' one didn't hold charge anywhere like I would have expected, though it was better than the old one. I replaced my daughter's too, though, and also the headphone jack, and that one held charge fine. I don't remember which place I got it from. There are a bunch on Amazon. At least on Amazon there are writeups and people will say if the battery was good. The hardest part is opening the device. I've worked on a couple of Ipod touches too.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    81 wrote:

DId you look on the forums?
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I think im the guy your referring too..i sell them but do have repair knowledge as well. What kind do you have? No power i assume?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Wma31394 wrote:
    I think im the guy your referring too..i sell them but do have repair knowledge as well. What kind do you have? No power i assume?

i knew it was somebody from chicago...tried to search but could find the post...

it's 3rd or 4th gen nano (i'd have to dobule check)...power is pretty much dead...it barely holds a charge

do you have a quality battery that you would recommend?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

i knew it was somebody from chicago...tried to search but could find the post...

it's 3rd or 4th gen nano (i'd have to dobule check)...power is pretty much dead...it barely holds a charge

do you have a quality battery that you would recommend?

I have new batteries for 4th gens. Can you post a pic? 3rd gens are more box shapped ..4ths more rectangular.
    Wma31394 wrote:
    I have new batteries for 4th gens. Can you post a pic? 3rd gens are more box shapped ..4ths more rectangular.

it's at home....

defefianlty rectangle. couple inchs tall, inch or so wide.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

it's at home....

Ok and it doesnt have camera/camcorder right? If not its a 4th.
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:

it's at home....

Ok and it doesnt have camera/camcorder right? If not its a 4th.

no camera
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    You just want the battery and fix yourself? My guy who does all my repair (mostly just swaping batteries) charges me $15 if you want him to do it. Hes professional. They actually are a bit tricky to swap since the ribbon cables and other parts are so small. They break easily. Battery is free I bought a shit load of them for units I needed repaired and got them for like $2 each. Hes in cally for the next week or so though.
    I ordered an inverter for my laptop display. It started acting wonky about a month ago, flickering oddly, then yesterday a black mark appeared on the lower right hand corner and it grew to the point where it covered the time. The bezel at that corner was extremely hot. I took the whole thing part trying to test everything I could find, did some internet research. Now the screen turns on for just a few seonds and the backlight goes out. you can still see the image, so its just the power to the bulb, wich is the inverter. $20 from Amazon. I'll report back.
    an update for the laptop: I put in the new inverter, that did not work, so I began to think it was the LCD bulb, which looked like a major pain to replace, but still less than replacing the whole screen. To do a check, I took a screen out of another old laptop that had died a few years back and plugged it in. It worked for a bit, then the whole pc just died. Cannot power it up at all.

so I went on ebay and bought the same exact laptop (used) for $200. it should arrive today. I should be able to take my hard drive from my laptop and put it in this one. A major gamble, yes, but I thought for $200 if this one lasts a year, that is not too bad, as I paid about $600 for the original 3 years ago.

i have my fingers crossed.
    woman ended up ordering a battery and her coworker put it in. reports are, it works good.

it was a 1st gen for the record. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    woman ended up ordering a battery and her coworker put it in. reports are, it works good.

it was a 1st gen for the record. :lol:

I did that a few years ago on my 30g, ordered it from somewhere, I don't remember. Still works great, my son uses it.

funny ipod story: I began to notice that the screen looked very weird, but not all the time. I slowly figured out that it only happened in the car. I began thinking about fixing it, getting the screen replaced, or just replacing the whole thing. then one day, in the car, it happened again. I looked at the screen and it was all messed up, then another moment, i looked at it but this time my head shifted and I saw the screen looked normal, but this time I was looking below the lens of my sunglasses. Turns out the polarization of my sunglasses makes the ipod screen look all messed up, the ipod was fine. duh.

:fp:
    :lol:

never look at mine. it sits in the center console day after day after day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    81 wrote:
    . couple inchs tall, inch or so wide.

Poor ms. 81.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    81 wrote:

Poor ms. 81.

:|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    ;) :wave:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    the wolf wrote:
    81 wrote:

Poor ms. 81.

rofl.gif
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    81 wrote:

Poor ms. 81.

rofl.gif

:lol:
    Why are you even bothering changing the battery? Sell it on ebay as not working and buy a new one.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    an update for the laptop: I put in the new inverter, that did not work, so I began to think it was the LCD bulb, which looked like a major pain to replace, but still less than replacing the whole screen. To do a check, I took a screen out of another old laptop that had died a few years back and plugged it in. It worked for a bit, then the whole pc just died. Cannot power it up at all.

so I went on ebay and bought the same exact laptop (used) for $200. it should arrive today. I should be able to take my hard drive from my laptop and put it in this one. A major gamble, yes, but I thought for $200 if this one lasts a year, that is not too bad, as I paid about $600 for the original 3 years ago.

i have my fingers crossed.

so, an update: the guy I bought it from apparently didn't pack it in the box too well. When it was delivered I immediately knew it was broken, I could hear pieces rattling around in the box. It was packed with those air pouches on three sides out of six of the box. Then I had a hard time getting a refund. I sent it back and had to have ebay get involved - they ruled in my favor and I just got my money back.

Long story short - f ebay! going to bite the bullet and just get a new one. what a pain in the ass
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    18oz hammer. Then go buy a nonApple product.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14