Help for a possible aspiring Bass player

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
edited July 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I've been playing guitar for a few years. Have the chords down, some scales, etc. Taken lessons for a few years and my teacher suggested I listen to variety of music to expand my musical horizons. In doing so I have really come to like listening to the bass lines of the music I've been hearing.

So, my question is this: is it difficult to make a switch to learning bass if I have some guitar basics down? I'm not an aspiring musician, and I'm not looking to write my own music. I have a friend that I like to jam with now on guitar, but think adding a bass to our playing would open things up a bit for us both.

I was thinking of looking for a cheap acoustic bass and trying to learn some basics and see where it goes. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get started? I started guitar by looking online and finding Next Level Guitar. Gave me a great start to taking lessons. Taught me a lot of general stuff.

Any advice from the experts out there?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
    Ive been playing guitar for 17 years but i play other instruments like bass. Great attitude. Get yourself a nice cheap but decent little setup and jam out. Its great to know all the scales and what not. Getting tabs and playin along to your records really helps you along. but remember there are no rules.
    The Squier Mustang bass looks really cool. You could get a used Fender Stanard anywhere for $300 and under.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    i'm a lot like dogfoot...been playing guitar for 15 or so years....i'd tinkered with the bass before, but just really got into playing bass about a year or so ago. it's a blast. your chord knowledge will definitely help you, but it's a different animal. i grabbed a Squier Jazz Bass & it plays & sounds great. i say go for it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
    Thanks for your replies. Do you have any advice on places to go for some beginner knowledge. Website? Books? Know anything about the David Hodge Bass book? I've toyed around with his Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar a while back and it has some good beginner info.

Thanks again!
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    I've been playing guitar for about 15 years now. Started playing bass in my current band 5 years ago. By now I probably play bass better than guitar. Just remember that bass is a rhythm instrument. So try to play with a drummer or at least play to a drum loop on your computer or something. It's tons of fun when you finally discover your groove.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Been Playing BASS for 12 Years now...Just have to get used to the 'Bigger' Strings... :D and I make sure No one is in ear distance of me playing as I Don't want to make anyone's ears bleed!...lol
  • how big\strong\long are your fingers?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Hey,
    Stumbled on this post. I've been playing bass now for a few years, apparently with a knack for it. Played guitar for close to 15 years prior to bass. I've known many to switch from bass to guitar quite well, most will tell you it's difficult to transition from guitar to bass (from most drummers I've played with, the best compliment has been that I don't play bass like a guitar player, enough said). I've given in to being a bass player first, guitarist second, and I love this role.
    If you can dive in, start playing with drummers and different players. I can only offer my experience, can't say there is a right or wrong, but I never took lessons and just got enough to grasp basics and then threw myself out there with more experienced people with positive attitudes. Stay with positive people to help you grow as a player and eventually you start to really lose any and all fear and just start opening up. I am by no means flawless, I make mistakes but adapt real quick, and we grow and learn from them... and have a lot of fun.
    http://www.dignewton.com is the band I've been playing in for a few years now, funk/groove band that's a lot of fun! We got a bunch of originals and do many covers from the likes of Stevie Wonder to Led Zeppelin to Red Hot Chili Peppers so it keeps my chops up - don't have a choice, haha!
    Cheers! Sorry for the lengthy reply...