Gear I would have bid on...

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,739
edited June 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
... if I had the money!

http://news.yahoo.com/les-paul-guitar-a ... 20175.html

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — An auction of guitars and memorabilia owned by the late Les Paul, known as the godfather of the electric guitar, has raised nearly $5 million for a foundation in his name benefiting music education and innovation.

Julien's Auctions of Beverly Hills said Sunday that the two-day sale fetched record-setting prices for guitars. The items most coveted by rock musicians, museum curators and collectors included a 1951 Fender No-Caster, which sold for $216,000, a 1982 Gibson Les Paul that went for $180,000 and a 1940s Epiphone Zephyr that fetched $144,000.

Other Paul memorabilia included a recording console ($106,250), research notes ($28,125) and guitar schematics ($40,625).

Paul invented one of the world's most widely played guitars, the Gibson Les Paul. The sale concluded Saturday, on what would have been his 97th birthday.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Would love that NoCaster.

Only thing cooler is a Broadcaster.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Oh, too cool! Missed this in my websurging.... I long ago gave up the dream of collecting vintage guitars, after spotting a '67 Les Paul going for $125K!

Gig posters are somewhat cheaper....
    [sic] happens
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,739
    acutejam wrote:
    Oh, too cool! Missed this in my websurging.... I long ago gave up the dream of collecting vintage guitars, after spotting a '67 Les Paul going for $125K!

Gig posters are somewhat cheaper....

I gave up after a friend found a '57 Les Paul Jr in mint condition in a yard sale... for 50 bucks! That only happens once-- ever. :mrgreen: (Mr. Green With Envy)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.