Calling All CANADIANS

bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Have my oldest son and his three best mates travelling to your beautiful country in late October.

They have arranged a 6 month working holiday, and will be employed at the ski resorts in Whistler!!! He cant wait to go, and they can arrange to stay longer if they want

They will arrive in late October...

So I thought I would see if anyone had some advice they might be able to give us, hints, warnings...anything at all that may be able to help them out a bit!!!

Please look after him
"God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Woo hoo! Lucky guys. I've heard that it's an amazing place to spend a season. Tell them to stock up on condoms . . . they're gonna need them ;):lol::mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    Woo hoo! Lucky guys. I've heard that it's an amazing place to spend a season. Tell them to stock up on condoms . . . they're gonna need them ;):lol::mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Possibly not exactly the type of advice I was looking for...but one can certainly see the value, thanks...oh and I guess it would be really important to get them before he leaves...Canadian ones are too small...well thats what I have heard ;)
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,683
    bindy123 wrote:

Possibly not exactly the type of advice I was looking for...but one can certainly see the value, thanks...oh and I guess it would be really important to get them before he leaves...Canadian ones are too small...well thats what I have heard ;)

Ouch :nono:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    The kush there is top notch I've heard.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    ya its fine they will be ok.small town with young people working and living up there doing whatever jobs but getting a free season lift pass.it is a big party.they will have a blast.....its a beautiful place.no gangs or crime really nothing to worry of.they will meet people from all over the world.you even see neat things like a moose walking right down main st.its one of the nicest places in Canada.rest easy Vancouver is only an hour away with busses running everyday. :mrgreen:
    ajb
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Don't try and give food to a Moose.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    We call Whistler Little Australia. There are thousands of you folks working there, to the point where my advice to them is to try and make friends who are actually Canadian as well and not all Australian so they actually experience a taste of another culture. But they will certainly feel at home!

Do they have housing housing arranged? That is the main problem for seasonal workers there. A lot of them have to live in one room suites with 5 other roommates because that's all they can find and afford. It's very expensive, especially since the main form of entertainment once the slopes close and workers get off is drinking at the bars, and that costs a fortune. It can be tough financially. I've experienced the same thing as I worked in Banff for a season... outrageously expensive EVERYTHING in resort towns and the pay doesn't reflect the cost of Living at all, and crazy housing situations.

oh, and there is tons of weed too... tell them not to smoke too much. That condom advice is good too. Whistler has one of the highest STD infection rates in the country because of so many young seasonal workers crammed into a tiny resort town. They will have a great time. Whistler is fun. My sister owns a cabin there so I get to stay there whenever. There are plenty of rich douche bags, but lots of cool people too. It's not easy to be a seasonal worker there unless they hit the jackpot as far as jobs go, but it's fun. Lots of bears. Tell them to learn what to do when face to face with bears. They're a bit ofa hazard. Some guy just get attacked by one last week while he was sitting in his hot tub. He's okay, but still. I see a few walking around every time I go there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Somehow I stayed a virgin when I lived in Whistler for nearly 7 years. I think it was because of the high STD ratio that I stayed away from the ladies.

I was lucky enough to have a family friend live there so I stayed in a nice house for a cheap price. I felt bad for other friends that had to spend a tonne of money just to share a room with 2 to 4 others.
  • bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    We call Whistler Little Australia. There are thousands of you folks working there, to the point where my advice to them is to try and make friends who are actually Canadian as well and not all Australian so they actually experience a taste of another culture. But they will certainly feel at home!

Do they have housing housing arranged? That is the main problem for seasonal workers there. A lot of them have to live in one room suites with 5 other roommates because that's all they can find and afford. It's very expensive, especially since the main form of entertainment once the slopes close and workers get off is drinking at the bars, and that costs a fortune. It can be tough financially. I've experienced the same thing as I worked in Banff for a season... outrageously expensive EVERYTHING in resort towns and the pay doesn't reflect the cost of Living at all, and crazy housing situations.

oh, and there is tons of weed too... tell them not to smoke too much. That condom advice is good too. Whistler has one of the highest STD infection rates in the country because of so many young seasonal workers crammed into a tiny resort town. They will have a great time. Whistler is fun. My sister owns a cabin there so I get to stay there whenever. There are plenty of rich douche bags, but lots of cool people too. It's not easy to be a seasonal worker there unless they hit the jackpot as far as jobs go, but it's fun. Lots of bears. Tell them to learn what to do when face to face with bears. They're a bit ofa hazard. Some guy just get attacked by one last week while he was sitting in his hot tub. He's okay, but still. I see a few walking around every time I go there.

;) Thanks so much miss soul, awesome info...the company they have arranged the trip through has sorted their accommodation, but it is very much like what you mentioned...they have been told and are expecting they will spend everything they earn on living expenses, so they are busy working and saving every penny at the moment...when the season is over they hope to travel around the rest of the country for a while.

How much do you think a cheap, small, but reasonably reliable car would cost, or is it way better to use public transport...or hire something???
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    bindy123 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: I'm happy to say that in my experience, you were sadly misinformed ;):mrgreen: I hope they have a great time.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Once they land in Vancouver the first thing they will want to do is get some herb. Have them go to the New Amsterdam Cafe, across the street is a blacked out glass door with a hidden doorbell. Ring the doorbell and they'll be blazing within 5 minutes.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    working in whistler is a lifestyle choice ... their biggest concern is going to be money ... they aren't going to save a lot of money unless they are smart ... between pot and booze and going out ... they will spend every dime ... if their goal is to travel after their stint based on savings - they are gonna have to go about things differently ...

having said that - not too many kids head up there to save money ... sooo ... my advice would be to make sure they do their job and do it well ... you don't want to be stuck in whistler with no job ...
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    They'll make tons of friends and have a blast!!!

Canadian girls know how to have fun!!
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols