That was close

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Decided to meet my buddy out a bar for a couple of drinks and to watch the ending of the Mets game. I had three beers in about an hour and a half. As I'm leaving the bar I catch a tail by the cops. He follows me for about a mile and then gets in the left lane and starts to pass me. As we are approaching a green light a couple of guys sprint across the intersection. The cop swerves into my lane to avoid them and I have to slam on my brakes and come to a complete stop to avoid not running them over or hitting the cop. The road we were on is a four lane road with a speed limit of 45mph. I so narrowly avoided get fucked.

Alcohol on my breath...driving a company car...hitting a cop car...hitting pedestrians. :fp: I would have lost my job without a doubt and I'm sure the papers would have painted a picture of a driver who had been drinking and hits two pedestrians and a patrol car.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    :!:
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    When I was much younger i used to drink a lot and drive. A few times. When I got older I used to drink just a little and drive. One beer- drive an hour later. Then one day I found out that DUI meant even .01 BAC which means basically they can get you for any amount of alcohol. I was under the impression that I had to cross some line to get a DUI. Now I don't drink even one drop and then drive.

If I get a DUI I loose my medical and I no longer have a job- permanently, since the only thing I know how to do is fly. But that's not the most important part. If I had injured or killed someone it would have been much worse.

So remember- even if it's for your own financial well being- much less someones actual well being don't drink and drive.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I want to say drinking and driving is for losers, but I'd be a hypocrite.. Granted I haven't had more than a couple of beers and drove in years, but many, if not most of us have been through it.. Even when I was stupid, I had my limit, but for the love of god, be careful, and avoid driving if under any influence.

Drink at home.. And if not, be responsible.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :nono: That's why you should have be at home sleeping....but I'm glad you're ok.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • mtxmtx Posts: 283
    Yeah. Because it's so fucking hard to imagine why drink and driving is not allowed.
    BECAUSE YOU CAN LOOSE YOUR JOBS!
    :fp:
    THINK MATES!
    Wuhlheide 2006, 2009, 2010,2014; Chorzów 2007; Hyde Park 2010; Open'er 2010;
    Alpine 1&2;
    2012 Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, Copenhagen;
    2013 Wrigley EarthCam / Ice cold water $1
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Well below the legal limit. Wasn't the point of my post and I wasn't drunk. Just the situation that could have happened if shit went bad. That's all.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    glad you're ok man!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    glad you're ok man!

Thanks. I'm fine. It just sucks because those idiots wandered acroos the street it could have really fucked me up for now and the future. The cop did speed ahead about a half mile and then busted a u turn at the next intersection with his lights on so I think he was as pissed off as me and went to go find the jackasses. :lol:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    glad you're ok man!
    :thumbup:
    Alpine 1&2;
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    I want to say drinking and driving is for losers,.

drinking and driving is for losers,....end of the sentence there..

from the moment you drink and take the wheel on your hands you are candidate killer..

if you wanna die or hurt yourself its ok,but you cant tak with you innocent people..

thats why taxis are out there..

there is no excuse or more conversation about it ...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    And it can end up in loosing ability to drink again ;)
    But honestly - we all are somewhere out there. It is unimaginable to hurt somebody who was just in wrong place in wrong time. Did nothing wrong. Had family, life, future... it is everybodys responsibility to care.
    So everybody... Care! :)
    Alpine 1&2;
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    PHEW!!!!
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    That was close! Glad you are alright.
    ELITIST FUK
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I want to say drinking and driving is for losers,.

drinking and driving is for losers,....end of the sentence there..

from the moment you drink and take the wheel on your hands you are candidate killer..

if you wanna die or hurt yourself its ok,but you cant tak with you innocent people..

thats why taxis are out there..

there is no excuse or more conversation about it ...

Listen to the Greek!
  • Wow!
    Way to dodge that bullet, DS.
    You must have some good karma circling you.
    Glad you and everyone else is okay.
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    DS1119 wrote:
    Well below the legal limit. Wasn't the point of my post and I wasn't drunk. Just the situation that could have happened if shit went bad. That's all.
    I am glad you're ok, but I have absolutely NO tolerance whatsoever when it comes to drinking and driving. My uncle killed someone in a DWI and he always said "I wasn't drunk" or "I only had *this* many." And now a father (who died in front of his children) was lost. When I hear about people who have accidents after drinking and driving, I have no sympathy. It's the most preventable thing. C'mon, people.

Sorry, rant over.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    I am glad you're ok, but I have absolutely NO tolerance whatsoever when it comes to drinking and driving. My uncle killed someone in a DWI and he always said "I wasn't drunk" or "I only had *this* many." And now a father (who died in front of his children) was lost. When I hear about people who have accidents after drinking and driving, I have no sympathy. It's the most preventable thing. C'mon, people.

Sorry, rant over.

So you consider three beers over an hour and a half period "drinking and driving"? Considering over at least that 90 minute period my body probably metabolized about 75% of that alcohol. I take it you have never had a beer at a bar or a glass of wine while out with dinner and then drove home? :fp:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    DS1119 wrote:
    Decided to meet my buddy out a bar for a couple of drinks and to watch the ending of the Mets game. I had three beers in about an hour and a half. As I'm leaving the bar I catch a tail by the cops. He follows me for about a mile and then gets in the left lane and starts to pass me. As we are approaching a green light a couple of guys sprint across the intersection. The cop swerves into my lane to avoid them and I have to slam on my brakes and come to a complete stop to avoid not running them over or hitting the cop. The road we were on is a four lane road with a speed limit of 45mph. I so narrowly avoided get fucked.

Alcohol on my breath...driving a company car...hitting a cop car...hitting pedestrians. :fp: I would have lost my job without a doubt and I'm sure the papers would have painted a picture of a driver who had been drinking and hits two pedestrians and a patrol car.
    my heart just skipped a beat with your story, that funny adrenaline rush feeling

so very glad your life and everything about this was spared a horrible outcome .... whew
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,693
    DS- remember my words "Have fun and be safe"! We don't want to have to wait longer than the site break to hear from you again! :D

(At least if you have to run over pedestrians, don't get caught. :lol: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    It's not illegal to have a few drinks and drive - you just have to be responsible about it and know what your limit is to drive safely. I think alot of us have been in a similar situation - having a couple of drinks, being way under the legal limit, driving home and something wierd/scary happens. Glad it worked out OK for you.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    ogey38 wrote:
    It's not illegal to have a few drinks and drive - you just have to be responsible about it and know what your limit is to drive safely. I think alot of us have been in a similar situation - having a couple of drinks, being way under the legal limit, driving home and something wierd/scary happens. Glad it worked out OK for you.

A good thing to know...

How Many Drinks Does it Usually Take to Reach the Legal Limit of the Blood Alcohol Percentage for Driving?
    There is no exact answer to determine how much you have to drink to reach the legal limit for driving. However, there is a way to approximate whether you are approaching the legal limit in your state (usually 0.08 blood alcohol level) based on your weight, how much you have had to drink, and how long you have been drinking. For example:

If you are around 100 lbs., you can generally only have about one serving of alcohol before being over 0.08, and only two servings before being above 0.1 (for those states where the legal limit 0.1)
    However, a person is closer to 160 lbs. can have about 3 servings of alcohol and still be below the legal limit for driving
    A good rule of thumb to use is that no matter what your weight is, if you have had three servings of alcohol in rapid succession you are most likely over the legal limit for blood alcohol level when driving.

Your blood alcohol level will also depend on how much time you have spent drinking. If you have a spaced your drinks out over a lengthy period of time, such as the span of a few hours, your blood alcohol level is going to be significantly lower than if you had the same amount of drinks in the span of one hour. Generally, you can subtract 0.01% from your estimated blood alcohol level for each 40 minutes that go by while drinking.

What Is 1 Serving of Alcohol?
    Keep in mind the amount of alcohol that constitutes 1 serving differs depending on the type of drink. For example, 12 oz. of hard liquor is a far greater amount of alcohol than 12 oz. of beer, and as a result will have a much greater impact on your blood alcohol level. Generally, the rule is 1 serving of alcohol is equal to 1 oz. of 100 proof liquor, a 12 oz. beer, or 4 oz. of table wine.