$100 Helium Balloon?

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,693
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This one caught me by surprise- helium shortage.

http://theweek.com/article/index/206417 ... um-balloon

The rise of the $100 helium balloon?

With the world facing a shortage of helium — a nonrenewable resource — the cost of making your voice sound ultra-squeaky may go sky-high. Our helium shortage may cause the price of helium balloons to skyrocket.

Sadly, affordable helium balloons — festive and amusingly buoyant — may soon become a thing of the past. According to experts, the world could run out of helium, a nonrenewable resource with other (more serious) scientific applications, in 30 years. In light of this threat, Nobel Prize–winning helium expert Robert Richardson has suggested that the free market take over the sale of helium from the U.S. government. Will the cost of party balloons be subject to severe inflation? A quick guide to the helium scare:

Why are we running out of helium?
Because it's "far too cheap and is not treated as a precious resource," Richardson tells New Scientist. In 1925, the U.S. government established the National Helium Reserve in Amarillo, Texas; however, due to the high cost of maintaining this reserve, Congress passed a law in 1996 requiring that its stockpile — half the Earth's helium — be sold by 2015, at a predetermined price.

Can't we just make more helium?
No. Like other fossil fuels, helium is a nonrenewable resource derived from the Earth's crust. While it is possible — if prohibitively expensive — to collect helium from the air, most of the world's helium reserves have been extracted from natural gas.

What is helium used for, besides balloons?
Many things. Because of its ultra-low boiling point, helium is often used in its liquid form as a coolant in nuclear reactors and other high-temperature processes. It also plays a role in cryogenics, rocket science (literally), and the production of fiber optics and liquid crystal displays.

Can we stop its depletion?
Not entirely. But we can slow it down. The U.S. government must "get out" of the helium business "and let the free market prevail," says Richardson. "The consequence will be a rise in prices." But "we will have to live with those prices eventually anyway."
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hydrogen balloons? i say yes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,693
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

...BOOM! :shock:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    brianlux wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

...BOOM! :shock:
    Oh the humanity!! and, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

works for me.. :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13