Options

The billionth AMT thread about GUN CONTROL.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    kenny olav wrote:
    Caveeze, I totally get that there will always be guns, because I know that people don't seem to be rational enough to get rid of them. I have no choice but to consider you to be one of the irrational who think that they should exist. Your mentality is the only reason they are allowed to exist.

If that was my daughter who died on that porch in Cambridge, would you still laugh about what I don't get?

Do you honestly think that no effort is being made to enforce the laws that exist?

There's no proper way to police the power of guns. I don't understand why people don't get THAT.
    Oh Kenny.. I would love to live in your world of lollipops and rainbows.. My mentality?

Law abiding citizens arming themselves is a VERY rational decision at this point.. to many guns on the street.. so many that you will never get rid of them all.

sorry man, but certain folks will never wise up and act like righteous people.. they will continue to try to get over.. on me, on you.. and if they are absolutely positive there isnt the business end of a 12 gauge waiting for them beyond the door of there home invasion, we have all lost..

Your ideals seem pure and wonderful Kenny.. but there is absolutely no real life application of your lofty goals in this current situation.. Don't disarm the people, disarm the criminals.. and when you figure that out, I will saw my guns in half..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    I don't believe in gun control. I believe in GUN ELIMINATION.
    Good luck with that.. and pass that shit over here man :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/0 ... story.html

please write the gun law that prevents this kenny..
    Please write any law that prevents any crime!!!
    I mean, murder is punishable by death in a few states.. and people still do it..
    all the legislation in the world wont stop shit.. wont change shit..
    People growing as people and becoming educated is our only hope..

Spend less time and money trying to regulate everything and spend more time and money educating people.. attempt to eliminate poverty..
    Arm people with choices..
    you may get the results you want..
    Post edited by CAVSTARR313 on
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/06/03/two-people-shot-cambridge-sunday-night/ajA0AY2VEbvc2ShA1NpKZK/story.html

please write the gun law that prevents this kenny..
    Please write any law that prevents any crime!!!
    I mean, murder is punishable by death in a few states.. and people still do it..
    all the legislation in the world wont stop shit.. wont change shit..
    People growing as people and becoming educated is our only hope..

Spend less time and money trying to regulate everything and spend more time and money educating people.. attempt to eliminate povety..
    Arm people with choices..
    you may get the results you want..

because the laws are already in place..

just give everyone a reason to follow them..
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Caveeze, it's a world of lollipops and rainbows you say... but what about the UK? Is that some fantasy world? Because that is where "Fully automatic weapons (submachine-guns, etc.) and self-loading weapons of calibre larger than .22 rimfire are totally banned, as also are all handguns (pistols and revolvers). Other rifles and their ammunition are permitted only for good reason. Shotgun ownership and use is controlled, and even low-power air rifles and pistols, while permitted, are controlled to some extent."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi ... ed_Kingdom (and wikipedia is very reliable at this point. i'm sure someone from the UK can dispute anything that's not correct there.)

"In the United Kingdom in 2009 there were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, about 40 times higher, and for Germany 0.2."

40 times more people are killed by guns in the U.S. than in the U.K. 40 times! And that figure doesn't include accidental killings. Reminds me of a story of a friend of a friend who died after a gunshot accidentally hit him in the stomach. Sure, deadly accidents can happen in other ways, and you can't outlaws knives and such, but obviously a gun is a much more effective killing machine.

When there were gun massacres in the UK, they reacted in a way that makes sense... they realized that society is safer without so many guns. They got rid of most guns... in a country of 60 million people. It's certainly not impossible. People just have to want to do it.

You say if we get rid of guns, then only criminals will still have guns. As if criminals are specific breed of human. Anyone with a gun can decide to attack someone with it. It's not like people with gun licenses don't ever use them to commit crimes. You can't deny that if there are less guns, then there will be less gun crimes... or will try to anyway? Based on all evidence, you cannot. Maybe this doesn't matter to you. Why the hell not then?

Perhaps a gun locked in a secure spot at home is needed to protect your home, in case of an intruder. I personally wouldn't feel safe with a gun in my home, but I can at least sympathize with the idea. However, I think guns at home are more likely to harm those living within the home than intruders. From what I recall, this has been proven in a number of studies.

Caveeze, I criticize your mentality in regards to guns, but I want to be clear that I don't think you're an idiot. I'm sure you are capable of understanding why guns are not safe, and why therefore they should be banned. You choose not to at the moment. I think that's a terrible choice, and everyone like you who has made that choice needs to realize that people have died because of it. I'm tired of living with that choice that others have made. That's why I'm doing my damned best to make people choose differently, as they have in the UK.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    The real question is why do people feel that they need to have a gun or in some cases more than 1 gun?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    fife wrote:
    The real question is why do people feel that they need to have a gun or in some cases more than 1 gun?
    Different calibers and uses.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Jason P wrote:
    fife wrote:

meaning what? guns only have 1 use and that is to shoot and hurt.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    fife wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    fife wrote:

meaning what? guns only have 1 use and that is to shoot and hurt.
    My .22 plinks cans. My shotgun shoots clay pigeons (although the recoil does leave my shoulder hurting).

I'm currently researching rifles for long-range target shooting.

I did buy a handgun back around the time we had the bird flu scare ... but that was mostly due to reading The Stand and having an overactive imagination.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jason P wrote:
    My .22 plinks cans. My shotgun shoots clay pigeons (although the recoil does leave my shoulder hurting).

I'm currently researching rifles for long-range target shooting.

I did buy a handgun back around the time we had the bird flu scare ... but that was mostly due to reading The Stand and having an overactive imagination.

Exactly, or in the case of hunting, you aren't going to shoot a high powered rifle into the air at a bird. But, you may want it for deer hunting. So, you would need two guns
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Very good news today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/s ... 55559130/1

Gabby Giffords' chosen successor and former aide, Ron Barber, won the special election for the Congressional seat she held until she had to resign. I've already seen some Republicans dismiss this as a sympathy vote for Giffords, and perhaps for Barber too, as he also was shot in that tragic event in Tuscon last year. But if the Republican candidate, Jesse Kelly, had won, I could only see that as an antipathy vote against all decency... Kelly, after all, held a campaign event that included firing an M-16 assault rifle with the candidate...

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... office.php

Only a psychopath would hold such an event. And look at the language his campaign used:

jesse-kelly-giffords-m16-event.jpg

Exactly two years later, his campaign lost for the 2nd time. To the people of Arizona's 8th Congressional Disctrict, I say thank you! Congratulations to the Barber campaign.
  • Options
    ***JOKE***

How do you tell the difference between a Canadian Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

QUESTION:

You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.

Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and lunges at you.

You are carrying a Glock 40 and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you. What do you do?

ANSWER:

CANADIAN POLICE OFFICER:
    Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights.

1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?

2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?

3) Is this really a knife or a ceremonial dagger?

4) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

5) Am I dressed provocatively?

6) Could I run away?

7) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

8) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings?

9) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

10) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?

11) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

12) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?

13) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? .

14) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:
    BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

'click'...Reload...

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! (Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping!').
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    ***JOKE***

How do you tell the difference between a Canadian Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

QUESTION:

You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.

Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and lunges at you.

You are carrying a Glock 40 and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you. What do you do?

ANSWER:

CANADIAN POLICE OFFICER:
    Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights.

1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?

2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?

3) Is this really a knife or a ceremonial dagger?

4) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

5) Am I dressed provocatively?

6) Could I run away?

7) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

8) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings?

9) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

10) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?

11) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

12) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?

13) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? .

14) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:
    BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

'click'...Reload...

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! (Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping!').

Nice Stereotyping of police.
  • Options
    Hey Kenny.. a news story from the metro detroit area today

The lighter side of our gun laws..
    http://www.freep.com/article/20120615/N ... Birmingham

Just to show that he may still be charged,, there are strict rules in place..
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so recently i was visiting the great state of missouri and happened upon an exhibition about missouris part in the civil war. as i wandered from artifact to artifact shaking my head at the stupidity and senselessness of war, a couple of things struck me. one was that all through out history certain people have thought it okay to own other people... a thought i have great difficulty fathoming. i found it arrogant and quite abhorrent... human beings actually thinking they can buy and sell other human beings... well notjust thinking it but actually doing i and being okay with it. the second was the 2nd amendment and how it pertains to todays society... as well as the original intention of those who drafted it. on that visit to the missouri history museum i read a bit about militias and guerilla bands and couldnt help but feel that this is perhaps the exact situation those drafters had meant when they said you all had the right to bear arms.... against all enemies, foreign and domestic. that when needed people would band together and defend their land against invasion. and yes i do see how the slave states could see the norths actions as invasion. i do plan to look at this deeper but those were my initial thoughts.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Nice Stereotyping of police.

please tell me that was supposed to be funny.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014