ssri withdrawal

LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone ever have the misfortune of experiencing this? how long before you felt normal again?

i weaned myself off of 20 mg of citalopram a day. took the last half pill on Friday and I've been experiencing extreme withdrawal for over two weeks. Brain zaps, short fuse, mood swings, suicidal thoughts, nightmares etc. I couldn't even go to work today because i would just start randomly crying for no reason. i haven't cried in ten years..and it was so bad i had to have my mom call my boss for me. im 28 years old. i just want it to stop. I've been staring at the wall pacing around and smoking cigarettes for 12 hours. i feel like i have no control over my mind or body. this blows. i just really needed to vent somehow because when i try and talk to someone i get too emotional. oh..and i was unable to see a psychiatrist today because i didn't claim to be suicidal. great health care system we have. not to mention how difficult it is to get a psychiatric evaluation..but that's another discussion.

anyway, im not crazy, and never experienced anything like this before i started taking the meds. has anyone else experienced this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    SO sorry to read this. I have no experience with this at all and I can't offer anything but a good luck for you. Is it possible for you to stay with a friend or relative until you can see a doctor? You know, someone who will understand your mood swings and impatience at this point and realize it's not you?
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I haven't personally experienced what you are experiencing, but know people who have taken various drugs with success, and others not so much. Just wanted to offer some support, and tell you you are not going crazy even if it feels that way. Hang in there, call someone or post here if it becomes unbearable. xx
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Maybe try going to the gym, sort of sweating it out and drinking plenty of water. It sounds simple but I find running, lifting, maybe hitting the punching bag clears my mind.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Did the doctor ween you off or just have you stop completely? Some meds have a shorter half life than others and you can feel pretty funky for a while as it leaves your system, especially if you stop cold turkey. You may need to be stepped down at a slower pace. It may sound counterintuitive, but some docs will add prozac to help with the weening process if it's really uncomfortable. Talk to your doctor.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Did the doctor ween you off or just have you stop completely? Some meds have a shorter half life than others and you can feel pretty funky for a while as it leaves your system, especially if you stop cold turkey. You may need to be stepped down at a slower pace. It may sound counterintuitive, but some docs will add prozac to help with the weening process if it's really uncomfortable. Talk to your doctor.
    Yeah. I followed a plan set by my doctor to wean myself off, and it didn't help. then i called today in the midst of a nervous breakdown and they couldn't "fit me in". Hopefully ill have better luck tomorrow and maybe get something for the anxiety.
    thanks for the support everyone. I've done my research and have a good idea of what is going on..i guess i was just posting to vent and see if anyone can relate. Feeling pretty helpless.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Lifted wrote:
    Yeah. I followed a plan set by my doctor to wean myself off, and it didn't help. then i called today in the midst of a nervous breakdown and they couldn't "fit me in". Hopefully ill have better luck tomorrow and maybe get something for the anxiety.
    thanks for the support everyone. I've done my research and have a good idea of what is going on..i guess i was just posting to vent and see if anyone can relate. Feeling pretty helpless.
    Your doctor might have you resume taking it and titrate you off slower or temporarily add another med in to ease the symptoms. Good luck. I hope they fit you in tomorrow and you don't feel this way much longer.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Lifted wrote:

You can go to an emergency room and explain the situation which they would help. I would suggest an university hospital as they work with you if you don't have insurance.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I went cold turkey off my ssri... Involved lots of shakes, dizziness and emotional outbursts. Contact your doctor and they will give you the best advice. I paired mine with exercise and eating healthy... But still had pretty wicked withdrawal. I hope things work out for you and you get the desired result (on different meds or no meds at all). I have been off mine for 6 months and things are good. Again, best of luck!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Are you seeing a counsellor at the sme time? It might help to have someone to talk things through wih while coming off them. There are also on-line support groups.

Sorry you're having such a tough time.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    I've had ssri withdrawl and it's ugly. I couldn't get my RX refilled thanks to the insurance company snafu and I ended up having a week's lapse in the med. Very scary indeed. I agree that you should speak with your provider. You probably need a slower withdrawl of the med or maybe you need to stay on the med.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Has your Dr. discussed Fluoxetine? It's said to help with the withdrawal sysmptoms if not curtail them completely. Sorry to hear what you're going through, sounds terrible. We're here for you if you need to vent!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Sorry to hear what your going through Lifted,but I'm glad to see your reaching out to people,especially here,most members I've come to know have a genuine concerned caring spirit,so it's a good place to vent for sure....Concerning your health care providers, don't take no for an answer if you need help,advice,or some type of immediate care,that should be a given, knowing that this was probably going to be the experience you would be having getting off this drug...for your Dr to say they couldn't "fit you in" was a total douchy move! You deserve better :D Best wishes & vibes being sent your way....
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Lifted wrote:
    I am sorry you're going through this. It seems pretty crappy to me that the doctor who advised you to wean yourself off of this could not 'fit you in' when you're having trouble with symptoms. I hope you have better luck finding something out and getting some help with it.