Dental Work = $$$

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Apparently I need a crown, which is a first for me. Talk about a burden of an unexpected expense.

Is there a point to getting a second opinion?

When I recently went in for a cleaning about 2 weeks ago it was discovered I needed this work done, so they scheduled an appointment for me 2-3 days later, and made it seem like it was a really pressing issue. I called and cancelled it the next day telling them I'd reschedule but I had to figure out how I was going to go about paying the invoice before I committed to the procedure. I just got a call again from them asking about rescheduling and it feels like there is a lot of pressure for me to just blindly pay and get the work done.

I have insurance, but even so the payment on my half isn't chump change by my standards. Even the payment plan being worked out is a little taxing.

Having said all this, I'm grateful I have insurance though, the price of it without the insurance is fucking insane.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    When I got my root canal they said I would need a crown...and I waited a good 2 years before I finally got it for the same reasons. It sounds like yours is a different situation, but did they say why the crown was so imperative right now?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ahhh....just had a crown done with a root canal. Apparently my tooth had died and I did not even know it!!!
    Anyhoo.......don't know what you are paying but my root canal was $900 and I don't know what the crown will be ...maybe $500? I too have insurance but I have exceeded my limit so will owe.
    It couldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion (for free I hope).
    Maybe research on line for people's opinions in your area?

I know people that have been told they need a crown and they just "wait and watch" it. The danger is getting an infection

Good luck....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I recently canceled a 6 month check up from my dentist and they have a service calling me EVERY FUCKING DAY asking me when I can reschedule. Beach houses aren't cheap I guess :lol::lol::lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    When I got my root canal they said I would need a crown...and I waited a good 2 years before I finally got it for the same reasons. It sounds like yours is a different situation, but did they say why the crown was so imperative right now?

Because the tooth that needs it is mostly filling, and neglecting it longer would bring it to the point where the only option would be just to remove it. Basically it seems to be imperative for the sake of salvaging what is left of the tooth.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I had a filling crack and my tooth got infected. I di dnot even notice, but I had the root canal done and was told I would need a crown in the future. But my dentist said he did not have to do it until it was necessary and told me it would not be cheap. That was almost a year ago and on my last cleaning, he reminded me, but said I did not have to do it yet.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Dental work is beyond expensive, I feel your pain - just finished up a year of front bridge work (thousands$$$) and gum lasering, etc...
    They wanted to crown a broken back tooth for an additional 1500 - I said F it - yank it for $200 :)
    Sorry for your pain (to your mouth and wallet)
    Dentistry is a racket for sure
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    pull em out
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Dental work sucks, sorry to hear that man.
    I like Mitch Hedberg's ideas about teeth: "I hate flossing, I wish I just had one long curvy tooth."
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    well thanks dc...I just came back from a cleaning...I have a filling that chipped out, so now I get to go back and have it yanked out and then re-filled. :|

Guess that's better than getting a crown or anything else. I have gone in for second opinions, and it was free.

Back when I didn't have insurance, I went to the dentist, and they found all kinds of things wrong, cracked filling, I have a messed up grill, my teeth aren't perfectly white, blahblahblah, I had them fix the filling and clean my teeth...$700 later, I figured they raked me over the coals.

I'd call around, ask other dentists if they give second opinions and how much it would be. No harm in that. It IS a lot of money.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Apparently I need a crown, which is a first for me. Talk about a burden of an unexpected expense.

Is there a point to getting a second opinion?

When I recently went in for a cleaning about 2 weeks ago it was discovered I needed this work done, so they scheduled an appointment for me 2-3 days later, and made it seem like it was a really pressing issue. I called and cancelled it the next day telling them I'd reschedule but I had to figure out how I was going to go about paying the invoice before I committed to the procedure. I just got a call again from them asking about rescheduling and it feels like there is a lot of pressure for me to just blindly pay and get the work done.

I have insurance, but even so the payment on my half isn't chump change by my standards. Even the payment plan being worked out is a little taxing.

Having said all this, I'm grateful I have insurance though, the price of it without the insurance is fucking insane.

I would ask more questions if I were you. Does your tooth actually hurt?

I also think they (some dentists, not all) really pressure people. I got an onlay and the first time they used some white material, and then it came off when I was flossing. They never gave me the option of using gold; I discovered the possibility myself after researching it, and insisted on gold - it was actually cheaper at the time. I think they think people want something that looks like the original tooth and I don't care - all I want is whatever they put STAYS there. I changed dentists soon after having this person.

I suggest getting a second opinion if possible - you might really need a crown, but if they are this persistent, it does make you wonder.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I would find another dentist who explains the procedure thouroughly.
    A dentist who works with the patient for shared decision making .
    A dentist who is skilled .
    A dentist who reccommends procedures based on clinical reasoning and not profitability.
    JaneNY wrote:
    Does your tooth actually hurt?

No, not at all.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    I'm calling my previous dentist to see if he'd allow me to come in for a second opinion.

I went to this new dentist because he was close to home, but I'm beginning to wonder if it'd be worth it to just continue seeing my previous dentist even if it isn't convenient.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Definitely get a second opinion. I know of people here that have saved thousands.

We found out 2 months ago that my bf needs his impacted wisdom teeth out. He doesn't have private health insurance because he never used in once in the 9 years that we were paying for it (his mum paid for it before then) so he decided to quit....I still have it though. His wisdom teeth are going to cost $4000!! That's a big chunk of a cycle of ivf for us so he's just refusing to get it done until our ivf finally works. I hope no major damage gets done to his teeth.

Ridiculous that it is so fucking expensive. Pisses me off.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Definitely get a second opinion. I know of people here that have saved thousands.

We found out 2 months ago that my bf needs his impacted wisdom teeth out. He doesn't have private health insurance because he never used in once in the 9 years that we were paying for it (his mum paid for it before then) so he decided to quit....I still have it though. His wisdom teeth are going to cost $4000!! That's a big chunk of a cycle of ivf for us so he's just refusing to get it done until our ivf finally works. I hope no major damage gets done to his teeth.

Ridiculous that it is so fucking expensive. Pisses me off.

yes ivf is ridiculously expensive, especially when it's not often successful on a first cycle.

those wisdom teeth are 4000 because your partner gave up his private hospital cover. the fee for removing the teeth would only be about 1500 or so of that. the remainder is anesthetist and hospital fees.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    Dental Plan..... Lisa Needs Braces
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

I had braces for 3 years when I was kid. Not fun for my mouth, or for my parents wallet.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I had an implant done, took a year and cost about $4000 all said and done. I don't have dental insurance and I tell my dentist all the time I can only come in for a cleaning once a year.

Was thinking of getting a dental plan on my own, but no offices in my area participate so there's not much point.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Know a bridge and a crown only last 10 to 15 years
    sounds like a long time but it goes by really fast!

I would think a root canal would be involved if crowning.
    Also to crown they grind the tooth down so after the 10 - 15 years
    and the crown comes off you got little yellow stubby things left.
    Not attractive at all :lol:

I had my work done at age 40 and I too could have cared less what the inside looked like
    but I didn't ask the right questions, paid a fortune to find out most was not necessary.
    The dentist was going for glory not necessity.

Thousands of dollars and a lot of discomfort for me as they did a root canal,
    which did not get all of it, then crowned the tooth
    only to have an infection take over and I had to have the tooth pulled
    and get a bridge. :wtf:

Educate yourself, make sure you got the best dentist around who knows what you want
    not what he wants.

If there is no pain maybe delay if you can, older the better.
    In the meantime save up for what you need to have done
    so as not to have to use any financing, credit card or otherwise.

You have a PJ fund now have a fix your mouth fund for the years to come.

My father in law, Cap, always said ..."what's with new teeth at age 5 should have been 45" ! ;)
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Not saying get something done that doesn't need to be,but I'm a big advocate of preventative dentistry,my thing is a do that little bit extra that is required to keep ahead of problems that might arise without it,would rather little bit of extra discomfort & money spent than a lot of pain and money for putting something off for to long....just my opinion,take it or leave it :D
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    dcfaithful wrote:

I had braces for 3 years when I was kid. Not fun for my mouth, or for my parents wallet.

yeah i had them for a long time as well (5 year years or so :?: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9Yibf_UXE
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    dcfaithful wrote:

yeah i had them for a long time as well (5 year years or so :?: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9Yibf_UXE

:lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

That might be the most annoying video ever. :lol:
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I had an implant done, took a year and cost about $4000 all said and done. I don't have dental insurance and I tell my dentist all the time I can only come in for a cleaning once a year.

Was thinking of getting a dental plan on my own, but no offices in my area participate so there's not much point.

Is this mostly a States thing??What employer doesn't offer dental insurance??
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,819
    get the crown
    having a root canal weakens the strength of whatever is left an if you don't crown it, it could crack below the jawline-if that happens you will have to yank it and the only option will be an implant-Which costs a LOT more than a crown
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

Is this mostly a States thing??What employer doesn't offer dental insurance??

mm? I work in a small MD office and our medical insurance has gotten worse and worse over the years. All my 31 working years ( I live in CT ) and I have never had dental insurance. Ever.
    Get_Right wrote:
    get the crown
    having a root canal weakens the strength of whatever is left an if you don't crown it, it could crack below the jawline-if that happens you will have to yank it and the only option will be an implant-Which costs a LOT more than a crown

yup, I had a crown for about 10 years. It never felt right and I complained about it a lot. One day it just broke off. The tooth was my second in molar and my teeth would have shifted if i didn't do the implant.
    Do the crown, it will last a long time if it's done right.
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    pandora wrote:
    Know a bridge and a crown only last 10 to 15 years sounds like a long time but it goes by really fast!

not all.. studys show the success of crowns/bridges drops after 15yrs, but over 75% still remain at that time.
    pandora wrote:
    I would think a root canal would be involved if crowning.

not necessarily. many vital (alive) teeth are crowned for many years and remain alive and healthy.
    pandora wrote:
    I had my work done at age 40 and I too could not have cared less what the inside looked like but I didn't ask the right questions, paid a fortune to find out most was not necessary. The dentist was going for glory not necessity. Thousands of dollars and a lot of discomfort for me as they did a root canal, which did not get all of it, then crowned the tooth only to have an infection take over and I had to have the tooth pulled and get a bridge. :wtf:

the tooth shouldn't have been crowned immediately if the success of the root canal was questionable. it sounds like the root canal was done poorly... root canal is a difficult procedure with many variables that can compromise its success.
    pandora wrote:
    Educate yourself, make sure you got the best dentist around who knows what you want
    not what he wants.

if the dentist has done their job properly, the patient will be well educated to make an informed decision on their options before any treatment is started. communication in dentistry is one of the most difficult skills of the profession.
    pandora wrote:
    If there is no pain maybe delay if you can, older the better. In the meantime save up for what you need to have done so as not to have to use any financing, credit card or otherwise.

treating teeth before they become symptomatic one of the keys to longevity of treatment. if things are left "the longer the better", then this is often just gives more time for cracks to propagate through the tooth and possibly lead to it fracturing beyond repair. dental treatment in the case of the OP is related to a subjective risk assessment. if you gave an xray, pulp vitality results and a picture of the tooth to 10 different dentists, you would get a myriad of treatment options... this dentist has decided that the size of the filling in the tooth puts it at a significant risk of breaking, and has then recommended a crown to protect it.

on the other hand, many dentists often diagnose softly as they think it will gain trust with the patient due to the general consensus in society that dentists are out to make a buck. i.e another dentist may opt to "monitor" it.. (monitor UNTIL it breaks then risk losing the tooth entirely?).

so yeh, don't be afraid to ask questions. communication and mutual treatment planning between patient and dentist keeps everyone happy.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.