Does theis sound shady?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
One of my closest friends ended up with a pair of Stanley Cup tix for the June 6 game in L.A.

Face value is $320 each, and that is what he paid for the tix. He had the opportunity to sell them for $640 each, so when he called to offer me one of the tickets, he asked that I pay $640 so that he doesn't lose-out on the profit. It is obviously a hot ticket, and I understand that he wants to make a few dollars (even though he is financially well-off). I scoffed at the offer, and he then changed his tune and offered the ticket to me for face value.

This is a friend that I hook-up with Grammy tickets every year, and I have shared front-row seats for many concerts with him as well.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Was he maybe joking just to see what you would say? Other than that and in no offense, he sounds like an asshole.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    So, he basically wanted you to pay for his ticket also? :lol:

I don't care what you've shared with him in the past. That is not a FRIEND.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    unless it was really a joke....bull shit move....you never offer your friends tickets above what you paid for them.

perhaps you should agree to go and say you will pay him day off.....and when that day comes....be a no show
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    Time to stop hooking him up with tickets he wants. As others have said, what an ass!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    you never offer your friends tickets above what you paid for them.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    DS1119 wrote:
    he sounds like an asshole.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    From here, it sounds like he had dollar signs in his eyes and you called him on it.

Is he a close GOOD friend?

I dunno...this one doesn't seem to pass the smell test.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,683
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    It wasn't a joke...he treats most of his interactions as negotiations, so it seems to come naturally to him. He is usually very generous, so I suppose he uses that as a fall-back when he pulls dodgy stuff like this!

He grew up very poor, and always had to fight hard to get what he wanted......I guess if explains his actions, but it is still dodgy!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    is this guy an agent? ;)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    It wasn't a joke...he treats most of his interactions as negotiations, so it seems to come naturally to him. He is usually very generous, so I suppose he uses that as a fall-back when he pulls dodgy stuff like this!

He grew up very poor, and always had to fight hard to get what he wanted......I guess if explains his actions, but it is still dodgy!

I can't and I don't think anyone here can responsibly comment on this or your relationship with him since you know him best. But at face value it just doesn't seem right. My best friend who I have known for almost 30 years never brings up money and it's never an issue. I don't know how many concerts/sporting events we have been together at where one of us buys the tickets and one of us never even pays. It's just I have PJ tickets...or I have Ranger tickets...you want to go?
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I can't and I don't think anyone here can responsibly comment on this or your relationship with him since you know him best. But at face value it just doesn't seem right. My best friend who I have known for almost 30 years never brings up money and it's never an issue. I don't know how many concerts/sporting events we have been together at where one of us buys the tickets and one of us never even pays. It's just I have PJ tickets...or I have Ranger tickets...you want to go?

That's exactly how I usually end up working it with close friends too. One buys the tix, the other buys the beer!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

We are usually like that...no money ever changes hands (except for Grammy tickets!).....he is usually the one to take me to sporting events (NBA finals included), and I am the one to take him to concerts/music experiences that money can't buy!
    norm wrote:
    is this guy an agent? ;)

nope!

he owns his own company in a very dull industry!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,122
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    One of my closest friends ended up with a pair of Stanley Cup tix for the June 6 game in L.A.

Face value is $320 each, and that is what he paid for the tix. He had the opportunity to sell them for $640 each, so when he called to offer me one of the tickets, he asked that I pay $640 so that he doesn't lose-out on the profit. It is obviously a hot ticket, and I understand that he wants to make a few dollars (even though he is financially well-off). I scoffed at the offer, and he then changed his tune and offered the ticket to me for face value.

This is a friend that I hook-up with Grammy tickets every year, and I have shared front-row seats for many concerts with him as well.

Thoughts?
    '
    Does sound shady. As others say, you know your friend best.
    I move across country after being in LA for 20 years and the Kings finally make the Finals again? !!!
    I bought 14th row tickets on StubHub for Game #2 up in Newark for $550 each. I did it while I was drunk the other night....no buyer's remorse, I will finally get to attend a Kings NHL Final game but that is some serious coin to kick down for 1 game. (Bought 2 tickets, 1 for my brother and one for me.) Add in hotel fare and flight for my brother to join me and I am at 2K for the game. Kings better win!! :D

I hope that you get to see the close out game if it goes to 6 Joe....but it has only taken 5 to finish off everyone else!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Thoughts?
    '
    Does sound shady. As others say, you know your friend best.
    I move across country after being in LA for 20 years and the Kings finally make the Finals again? !!!
    I bought 14th row tickets on StubHub for Game #2 up in Newark for $550 each. I did it while I was drunk the other night....no buyer's remorse, I will finally get to attend a Kings NHL Final game but that is some serious coin to kick down for 1 game. (Bought 2 tickets, 1 for my brother and one for me.) Add in hotel fare and flight for my brother to join me and I am at 2K for the game. Kings better win!! :D

I hope that you get to see the close out game if it goes to 6 Joe....but it has only taken 5 to finish off everyone else!

(insert a dirty joke about only taking 5 to finish off everyone else)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,122
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    (insert a dirty joke about only taking 5 to finish off everyone else)
    :lol::lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I hope he was kidding
    A friend doesn't look to make money off of friends
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    That is shady.
    Maybe it's time to re-evaluate this relationship.
    ELITIST FUK
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

bingo.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com