Top 5 Pearl Jam Boots for Sound Quality

moonlightdrive2112moonlightdrive2112 Posts: 15
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Hello.

What do you feel are the top 5 Pearl jam bootlegs as far as sound quality?

I found many of the bootlegs to be lean sounding, even though they were recorded by the Pearl Jam crew. They often lack big bass on the bass guitar and drums, but I'm sure there are many great ones out there I have not heard.

Thanks!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Are you talking about all time or 2006 or just official boots?

Europe 2000 has practically no bass. The shows kick ass regardless.

The North America 2000 shows are quite excellent sounding except for a few shows in California where Eddie is way too low in spots. The 3 Jones Beach shows are awesome. So are Pittsburgh and Saratoga. The last 4 or 5 shows of the tour are also superb.

2003 is pretty consistant mix-wise. The sound is a little overcooked for my taste but the mix is great. There are a few great shows scattered throughout the tour, but their attempts at remaking or reviving old rare songs are sometimes miserable failures. I don't like this tour as much as 2000. The last 3 shows in Mexico are all really great shows, with insane crowds, even though they repeat a couple songs all 3 nights.

I only have a few 2005 shows because MP3's don't thrill me. Mike is too low in most of them.

The 2006 1st leg brings killer setlists and triumphant revivals of many rare old songs. In terms of sound, the shows start off with the worst mixes ever, but they get better sounding as the tour progresses. Mike is way too low in the first couple of shows. You can hear everything else just fine though. Some people think Eddie's vocals are too distant and echoey but I think this is only a problem in a few spots. The two Boston and two Camden shows are the best ones in terms of sound and performance. The last two shows in NJ are both good but there were technical difficulties both nights that kind of ruin the buzz.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    Are you talking about all time or 2006 or just official boots?

Europe 2000 has practically no bass. The shows kick ass regardless.

The North America 2000 shows are quite excellent sounding except for a few shows in California where Eddie is way too low in spots. The 3 Jones Beach shows are awesome. So are Pittsburgh and Saratoga. The last 4 or 5 shows of the tour are also superb.

2003 is pretty consistant mix-wise. The sound is a little overcooked for my taste but the mix is great. There are a few great shows scattered throughout the tour, but their attempts at remaking or reviving old rare songs are sometimes miserable failures. I don't like this tour as much as 2000. The last 3 shows in Mexico are all really great shows, with insane crowds, even though they repeat a couple songs all 3 nights.

I only have a few 2005 shows because MP3's don't thrill me. Mike is too low in most of them.

The 2006 1st leg brings killer setlists and triumphant revivals of many rare old songs. In terms of sound, the shows start off with the worst mixes ever, but they get better sounding as the tour progresses. Mike is way too low in the first couple of shows. You can hear everything else just fine though. Some people think Eddie's vocals are too distant and echoey but I think this is only a problem in a few spots. The two Boston and two Camden shows are the best ones in terms of sound and performance. The last two shows in NJ are both good but there were technical difficulties both nights that kind of ruin the buzz.

Thank you!! So, the North American 2000 CD's are the best in sound quality in your opinion?

Thanks!
    Dave