i just met...

LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three!!!! He was at a gallery opening in NYC. Such a genuine, gracious person. After following the case for 14 years, to shake his hand was so surreal. I asked him how NY was treating him and said we are honored to have him here. I was literally shaking. I've met a lot of celebrities, I don't get star struck. But with Damien, I was in complete shock. Epic...EPIC night. Now off to Little Italy for cappuccino's. As if I needed to be on more of a high :P
"Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    That's freakin awesome. I hope to run into him one day as well.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    That's freakin awesome. I hope to run into him one day as well.
    He lives in NYC now, which is awesome. I hope to run into him again! He was incredibly nice and I seriously almost cried, standing there talking to him. There was so much more I wanted to say, but I didn't want to be rude to him or the people he was with. Meeting any other public figure will never top meeting him, in my book.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    Here's the pic. Sucks it's blurry...Damien's friend insisted on taking it saying he was the "official picture-taker" LMAO. But what can ya do :lol:

darcydamienme.jpg
    From left: My best friend Darcy, Damien and me
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Very cool! You handled it better than I would have...I would have been stammering and sweating.
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 wrote:
    Very cool! You handled it better than I would have...I would have been stammering and sweating.
    I'm surprised I was able to hold a decent conversation! It was funny because we were posing for the picture and his friend hit something on the iPhone and was like "Oh...wait, now I'm seeing myself." He had hit the self portrait button thing or whatever so he and my friend were taking a bit of time to try and get it back. That entire time, Damien and I were just standing there, his arm around me. And when I said "I'm sorry, I'm shaking...this is just surreal to me," he gave a little hug and said "Thank you for all of your support, really, thank you." So awesome. And now I sound like a Justin Bieber fangirl :lol: :fp:
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    SD48277 wrote:
    I'm surprised I was able to hold a decent conversation! It was funny because we were posing for the picture and his friend hit something on the iPhone and was like "Oh...wait, now I'm seeing myself." He had hit the self portrait button thing or whatever so he and my friend were taking a bit of time to try and get it back. That entire time, Damien and I were just standing there, his arm around me. And when I said "I'm sorry, I'm shaking...this is just surreal to me," he gave a little hug and said "Thank you for all of your support, really, thank you." So awesome. And now I sound like a Justin Bieber fangirl :lol: :fp:

:lol:
    There was a skit on SNL, years ago, with Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney (I'm sure it is on YouTube). He stammers, sweats profusely, and asks inane questions ("Remember when you were in the Beatles? Yeah...that was cool.") I joke with my friends that I become Chris Farley when I meet someone I am in awe of. Cool, I am not. You, however, handled it beautifully. :D
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    SD48277 wrote:

:lol:
    There was a skit on SNL, years ago, with Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney (I'm sure it is on YouTube). He stammers, sweats profusely, and asks inane questions ("Remember when you were in the Beatles? Yeah...that was cool.") I joke with my friends that I become Chris Farley when I meet someone I am in awe of. Cool, I am not. You, however, handled it beautifully. :D
    :lol: Yes I remember that skit!! No one is more surprised than me that I didn't just stare at him like a deer in headlights. For 14 years, I imagined what I would say if they ever got released and I ever got the chance to meet him, Jason or Jessie. I'm just glad I didn't go to the automatic "I'm your biggest fan" response.

I should have taken one for the 10c team and said "Soooooo...you have Ed's phone number right? Let me get that, please. We have some rumors to clear up." :lol:
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three!!!! He was at a gallery opening in NYC. Such a genuine, gracious person. After following the case for 14 years, to shake his hand was so surreal. I asked him how NY was treating him and said we are honored to have him here. I was literally shaking. I've met a lot of celebrities, I don't get star struck. But with Damien, I was in complete shock. Epic...EPIC night. Now off to Little Italy for cappuccino's. As if I needed to be on more of a high :P

very, very cool
    good on ya'
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Yeay, great story :D:D not sure How Id react if I spotted him. I campaigned hard with many others for thier release. In fact, the first time i heard of the WM3 was the same i I first heard PJ. That was 12 years ago so
    I am familiar with the case. Desperatly hope they Play Army reserve on the Euro tour. excellent stuff :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
    Great pic :)

edanddamien.jpg
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

edanddamien.jpg

Couldn't believe this when I saw it live, was watching the press conference and then spotted eddie in the background!! but of course he'd be there :):)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
    Meg8686 wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

edanddamien.jpg

Couldn't believe this when I saw it live, was watching the press conference and then spotted eddie in the background!! but of course he'd be there :):)
    He's a good egg :D