Options

BBC "Sherlock" / Benedict Cumberbatch Appreciation Thread

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I just recently got on this train...chooo chooo!

Holy shit this series is AWESOME. I feel like punching random people for not forcing me to watch it. I am a mega Sherlock Holmes nerd and was always a Jeremy Brett fan, and I was reticent when I heard they were doing a modern take of it. Glad I relented though, I am in love with it.

Any other fans? :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Yes! Totally dig this show.

There is suppose to be another version of Sherlock Holmes this upcoming fall season, with Lucy Liu as Watson (I think). I'll give it a try, but the BBC series is brilliant.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 wrote:
    Yes! Totally dig this show.

There is suppose to be another version of Sherlock Holmes this upcoming fall season, with Lucy Liu as Watson (I think). I'll give it a try, but the BBC series is brilliant.
    Yay I'm not the only geek :lol:

Hmmm that could be interesting, I dunno though, this BBC series is done so well. It really captures the essence of the original stories which I love. Ugh I don't want to wait for more!
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Yup, I'm a :geek:. I do like a good mystery.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Me too, I got into the original stories back in college, grew up watching the old Basil Rathbone movies. It's neat how they incorporate all the modern touches but it still feels authentic.
  • Options
    Hub. wrote:
    Love it. Too bad there's only three or four episodes per season.
    True. They're each 1.5 hours long though which is nice, feels more like a small movie. I can't get enough though, hope they make a whole bunch more for years to come :)
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    I'll put on episode 1. My favourite shows have finished for the year & I'm in need of new TV fodder. thanks, :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Meg8686 wrote:
    I'll put on episode 1. My favourite shows have finished for the year & I'm in need of new TV fodder. thanks, :)
    Nice, enjoy! :D
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    edited May 2012
    I am obsessed with this show to a nerdy degree, and have the total hots for Benedict cumberbatch
    Post edited by curlygirly9 on
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I am obsessed with this show to a nerdy degree, and have the total hots for Benedict Cumberbatch.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Yep! It's awesome! Haven't seen it all. Holding off because that's my ivf no 2 series to watch. Battlestar Gallactica was the series I watched for ivf no 1. What I've seen was great though!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I looked for this on Netflix since you mentioned it recently. I saw the first two episodes of season one tonight.

I like it. Even though it's moved to modern times, it works! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    Yea I'm a fan
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'm still holding off on watching the last episode of the 2nd season. They only do 3 and then we have to wait a year.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Zig it's a good thing to zone out on for sure!

Curly I agree, initially when I saw him I was like he's an interesting looking fellow, and then all the sudden he started looking even better. The suits help I think....combine a nice suit with a beautiful accent, I'm a goner :lol:

I'm mega nerd for this show lol
  • Options
    Heh, a friend mentioned to me earlier today that this guy was cited as having a voice that sounded like "a jaguar hiding in a cello". What a lovely comparison! :D
  • Options
    Heh, a friend mentioned to me earlier today that this guy was cited as having a voice that sounded like "a jaguar hiding in a cello". What a lovely comparison! :D

He's really sexy. :oops: I got my family hooked on the show and my sister's in agreement too, but I like strange guys. He kind of has an Alan Rickman - like coolness/voice about him. I think he's gonna be big. And the show is awesome! I can't wait for next year!
  • Options

He's really sexy. :oops: I got my family hooked on the show and my sister's in agreement too, but I like strange guys. He kind of has an Alan Rickman - like coolness/voice about him. I think he's gonna be big. And the show is awesome! I can't wait for next year!
    YES, that's the best comparison. I love Alan Rickman too and he's not your typical handsome type, but his voice....oh lord lol
  • Options

YES, that's the best comparison. I love Alan Rickman too and he's not your typical handsome type, but his voice....oh lord lol

Exactly. :lol:
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since a college class in mystery novels, when we read several of the stories.

I think Jeremy Brett created the quintessential Holmes but I like this show. I like rebooting it in modern times and the way they portray Sherlock's analyzing skills. I'm having a little trouble with the character though. He's very rude and insulting to the people who come to him for help. I remember Holmes as being quirky and having unusual methods and he would sometimes shock or confuse people with his observations. But he still showed people basic courtesy and even kindness on occasion.

This is still done very well and I enjoy watching it. It was clever how they reworked The Hound of the Baskervilles.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    the wife has been watching this show...I've seen a few episodes....nice to see Tim from The Office!
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Moffat

This guy is the genuis behind it, every thing he writes is gold.

The actor playing Sherlock is also going to be the next villian ion the new Star Trek movie.
    perhaps and English Khan....
  • Options
    I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes since a college class in mystery novels, when we read several of the stories.

I think Jeremy Brett created the quintessential Holmes but I like this show. I like rebooting it in modern times and the way they portray Sherlock's analyzing skills. I'm having a little trouble with the character though. He's very rude and insulting to the people who come to him for help. I remember Holmes as being quirky and having unusual methods and he would sometimes shock or confuse people with his observations. But he still showed people basic courtesy and even kindness on occasion.

This is still done very well and I enjoy watching it. It was clever how they reworked The Hound of the Baskervilles.
    I agree, Jeremy Brett was the master of the Victorian version of Holmes. My mom and I would watch that series religiously when it was on PBS (along with Inspector Poirot)...those were great memories :)

That Granada series treated Watson with the most respect I'd seen to that point. The Rathbone movies had him more like a buffoon, and nothing could have been further from the case. Truly, Watson was a loyal badass. I like that this modern version does the same justice by him.

The modern Sherlock *is* pretty harsh! Although in his own words, he's a high-functioning sociopath, so I guess he acknowledges it? :lol: There are shades of kindness still, like him beating down dude that messed with Mrs. Hudson. Not as overt as Brett's portrayal though for sure.

JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    the wife has been watching this show...I've seen a few episodes....nice to see Tim from The Office!
    I've already put a request for both blu-ray DVDs for my birthday :D I am severely sprung for this series!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Moffat

This guy is the genuis behind it, every thing he writes is gold.

The actor playing Sherlock is also going to be the next villian ion the new Star Trek movie.
    perhaps and English Khan....

He's also playing Smaug and the voice of the Necromancer in the Hobbit, and the guy who plays John will be Bilbo :) HELLA nerd intersections :lol:
  • Options
    :lol: Did anyone else see the questionaire with the creators and Benedict Cumberbatch on the pbs website? It is such a nerd fest, and the audience is mostly girls :lol: Awesome. I'm so glad I'm not the only one hardcore nerding out on this show. here's the link:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/she ... 2_nyc.html

Also, one of my professors is a detective story scholar, and she taught a class on Detective Fiction, and the character of Sherlock Holmes is curmudgeonly, had misogynistic undertones and other issues, that if diagnosed now, might be considered sociopathic :lol: I think the show does a really good job having fun with those issues, and I love the implied relationship between Sherlock and Watson :nono: :lol:
  • Options
    :lol: Did anyone else see the questionaire with the creators and Benedict Cumberbatch on the pbs website? It is such a nerd fest, and the audience is mostly girls :lol: Awesome. I'm so glad I'm not the only one hardcore nerding out on this show. here's the link:

Also, one of my professors is a detective story scholar, and she taught a class on Detective Fiction, and the character of Sherlock Holmes is curmudgeonly, had misogynistic undertones and other issues, that if diagnosed now, might be considered sociopathic :lol: I think the show does a really good job having fun with those issues, and I love the implied relationship between Sherlock and Watson :nono: :lol:
    Ah thank you for that link, that was delightful! :D Gotta love herding out :lol:

Yeah Sherlock be trippin sometimes lol fun to watch, and yeah there's always been that undercurrent of Sherlock and Watson being a touch close. Can't blame John lol
  • Options

Ah thank you for that link, that was delightful! :D Gotta love herding out :lol:

Yeah Sherlock be trippin sometimes lol fun to watch, and yeah there's always been that undercurrent of Sherlock and Watson being a touch close. Can't blame John lol

PBS cut 20 minutes for ads from season 2. Although they said it didn't take away from the stories.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

PBS cut 20 minutes for ads from season 2. Although they said it didn't take away from the stories.
    Boooooooo! I hope the blu ray has the intact shows.
  • Options
    No problem, and yeah there is some footage cut out from the american broadcast, but the dvd seasons are complete. I need to get them too.
  • Options
    No problem, and yeah there is some footage cut out from the american broadcast, but the dvd seasons are complete. I need to get them too.
    It's good to know that there is that difference! I'm looking forward to having them, especially if there extra stuff. I liked how they mentioned in that interview above about the cinematography, it's so awesome. I love the use of text and how they change scenes.
  • Options
    It's good to know that there is that difference! I'm looking forward to having them, especially if there extra stuff. I liked how they mentioned in that interview above about the cinematography, it's so awesome. I love the use of text and how they change scenes.

I know, I really want to watch them. It is still kind of strange to me that PBS of all things would edit the show, but then again, they edited PJ20 when it aired I think, too. Lame!