State Of Origin - Rugby League

nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Posts: 344
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
kick off is in an hour steak on the frying pan chips in the oven and johnnie walker in hand ready to go!!!
anyone who doesnt know about state of origin it is basically the best sporting event in the world :D New South Wales Vs Queensland in the toughest game on earth best of three games played over 7 weeks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IThhJa3 ... ure=fvwrel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
    Go Blues! 8-)
  • Aussie357Aussie357 Posts: 649
    Go Maroons!!!! Crush those roaches!!!! :D:D:D
    :corn:
    I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
  • PJ07PJ07 Posts: 9
    Queensland all the way. XXXX is flowing :lol:
    I'm just glad Delta stopped singing! :lol:
  • belinda27 wrote:
    Go Blues! 8-)
    Getting a blues tat next week haha! Such a great game played by the blues so sick at the refs calls bring on game 2
    bring on game 2! :D
    belinda27 wrote:
    Go Blues! 8-)
    Getting a blues tat next week haha! Such a great game played by the blues so sick at the refs calls bring on game 2
  • toodeetoodee Posts: 89
    Didn't realise it until tonight, but Docklands Stadium has the worst layout for a Rugby League game, the crowd looked like they were further away from the field than I was, and I'm in Queensland :D
    toodee wrote:
    Didn't realise it until tonight, but Docklands Stadium has the worst layout for a Rugby League game, the crowd looked like they were further away from the field than I was, and I'm in Queensland :D
    :lol::lol: That was probably a good thing considering some of the refs calls! :D
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    That is fucking bullshit... Everyone knows how bullshit the fuckin refs are.. .I hate blaming refs, cause they're doing a job, and they are human and all that shit... But I would punch Cechinn in the ovaries right now if I could...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    WOO WOO INGLIS!!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Oh Yeah!!

Once again we go to the decider :corn:

Robbie Farrah was outstanding
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Go Blues! :corn:
    Fucking bullshit again.... arggghhhh...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Aussie357Aussie357 Posts: 649
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Fucking bullshit again.... arggghhhh...

Hehehe....... ;)
    I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,049
    ONE MORE DAY UNTIL STATE OF ORIGIN!!!!

Lets go Maroons!!
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
    How good is it... yeeeew!!!
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    I love watching Origin but I really can't stand the bullshit from the commentators and pundits. You can guarantee that whenever there's a big hit or a high shot you'll hear the phrase "Welcome to Origin football!" like it's ok to throw punches or play dirty.

I'm an NSW fan but I honestly thought Gallen should have been sent off last night for punching Myles. I was worried we'd throw away all of the hard work in the first half by having to play with 12 men for the rest of the game. To hear Laurie Daley come out and say "It was one of the great Origin moments as far as I'm concerned" was really disappointing. We shouldn't be proud of things like that, but that's what the cavemen like to think Origin is about.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I was there but didn't see a damn thing. too busy working. even missed king cannons at the half break so im told. boo. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I really wish I understood rugby.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    duska3419 wrote:

well lets get started then. first lesson.. when referring to rugby one is usually talking about rugby UNION. the game being discussed in this thread is rugby LEAGUE. 2 different but somewhat similar games. UNION actually gave birth to LEAGUE many moons ago after a dispute over players remaining amateur versus being paid for their time, which usually meant when they were playing, they weren't working their regular jobs. those opposed to players being paid were those from a socio economic background that could afford to not be paid for 'downtime'.

second lesson: if you want to see a real scrum, watch rugby UNION, not LEAGUE.

third lesson: find out what a scrum is. ;):lol:

fourth lesson: scrums no longer exist in LEAGUE. refer to lesson 3 to find out why. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    QLD were disappointing last night and need a huge improvement for game 2. Can't fault the Blues, they wanted it more and deserved the win. But it ain't over yet and I'd be shocked if we play like that again. Hopefully we get the win and set it up for winner takes all in July!

photo1_v2_zpsc237c2a9.jpg
    Mango wrote:
    QLD were disappointing last night and need a huge improvement for game 2. Can't fault the Blues, they wanted it more and deserved the win. But it ain't over yet and I'd be shocked if we play like that again. Hopefully we get the win and set it up for winner takes all in July!

photo1_v2_zpsc237c2a9.jpg

exactly. I saw a lot of extremely happy blues fans and all I kept thinking was it aint over yet n.s welshmen. qlders know whats coming so they seemed to take the loss in their stride I thought...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I love a good origin fight and at first I loved what Gallen did, then watching it again I thought it was ugly. But now I am more than happy about it. Yeah, sure it was a a dog shot. But it was a statement. Nate Myles has lead with his head so often. His head is the size of a small car and has collected numerous blues players over the last few series.

So Gallen though, fuck that.... and he gave him a left then a right which collected. He did that for his players. He made a stand. And as he said after the game 'someone had to stand up to him.'

And yes, it is origin. These things need to slide. Just like Brent Tate punching Lewis in the head last year while he was pinned on the ground by another Queenslander last year.

Bring on game 2.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    duska3419 wrote:

well lets get started then. first lesson.. when referring to rugby one is usually talking about rugby UNION. the game being discussed in this thread is rugby LEAGUE. 2 different but somewhat similar games. UNION actually gave birth to LEAGUE many moons ago after a dispute over players remaining amateur versus being paid for their time, which usually meant when they were playing, they weren't working their regular jobs. those opposed to players being paid were those from a socio economic background that could afford to not be paid for 'downtime'.

fourth lesson: scrums no longer exist in LEAGUE. refer to lesson 3 to find out why. ;)

This was awesome thanks :)
    The wikipedia page was helpful too :lol:
    I'm actually a bit excited, I googled the name of this series and it turns out theyre airing it in the US on a channel I actually have!!! (Fox Soccer) at a time when I could actually watch probably about an hour of gameplay. So I plan on doing that. My next question, though is why are these games so far apart?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    duska3419 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:

This was awesome thanks :)
    The wikipedia page was helpful too :lol:
    I'm actually a bit excited, I googled the name of this series and it turns out theyre airing it in the US on a channel I actually have!!! (Fox Soccer) at a time when I could actually watch probably about an hour of gameplay. So I plan on doing that. My next question, though is why are these games so far apart?

theyre really not that far apart game wise but ideologically/politically, the basis is socio-economic. its embedded in the divide between the middle class and the working class here in Australia, particularly in sydney .. where both sports started in this country.... much in the same way sculling and rowing was. I know there are a mass of peeps who think sport and politics are separate but it simply isn't true. rugby(union) is often and not without reason seen as the preserve of the privileged and therefore most associated with private schools and the more affluent areas of the city whereas rugby league is traditionally(historically) a working class sport. which makes sense seeings how the break break from union occurred when working men playing union felt it only right that they be compensated for the time they spent away from their wage jobs playing the game. they simply couldn't afford the void in their wages due to game days. the ruling board of union felt that being paid t play union was un gentleman like cause they could afford the down hours that the working class men couldnt and so a split was inevitable. league evolved from union enough that it became a distinct separate sport with its own teams, rules and governing body(obviously).
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    theyre really not that far apart game wise but ideologically/politically, the basis is socio-economic. its embedded in the divide between the middle class and the working class here in Australia, particularly in sydney .. where both sports started in this country.... much in the same way sculling and rowing was. I know there are a mass of peeps who think sport and politics are separate but it simply isn't true. rugby(union) is often and not without reason seen as the preserve of the privileged and therefore most associated with private schools and the more affluent areas of the city whereas rugby league is traditionally(historically) a working class sport. which makes sense seeings how the break break from union occurred when working men playing union felt it only right that they be compensated for the time they spent away from their wage jobs playing the game. they simply couldn't afford the void in their wages due to game days. the ruling board of union felt that being paid t play union was un gentleman like cause they could afford the down hours that the working class men couldnt and so a split was inevitable. league evolved from union enough that it became a distinct separate sport with its own teams, rules and governing body(obviously).

:| that's an interesting history. But I meant the question as 'Why are there so many days in between games'
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I love a good origin fight and at first I loved what Gallen did, then watching it again I thought it was ugly. But now I am more than happy about it. Yeah, sure it was a a dog shot. But it was a statement. Nate Myles has lead with his head so often. His head is the size of a small car and has collected numerous blues players over the last few series.

So Gallen though, fuck that.... and he gave him a left then a right which collected. He did that for his players. He made a stand. And as he said after the game 'someone had to stand up to him.'

And yes, it is origin. These things need to slide. Just like Brent Tate punching Lewis in the head last year while he was pinned on the ground by another Queenslander last year.

Bring on game 2.

Personally I don't have any problem with a good ol dust up myself. Although the sport has moved on from this and I don't know how many more years the excuse of "but it's Origin" has left. You do that in a league game and its a red. He also came into the tackle leading with his arm so this time (cause I hear your points about previous incidents) there was no one who had done anything to deserve it. But don't worry, he will be targeted in Bris-Vegas!
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    Well, let's see what happens when Gallen gets nailed in Game 2. Maybe it'll result in a career-ending injury - but hey, "That's Origin!" right?

I love the game, and I have no problem with the fights in general, but it's the defending of things like this that I can't stand. What Gallen did was ridiculous, off the field that is assault. He started it with the swinging arm and then threw the only punches. He said he was standing up to Myles for his team - if he had been sent off (as he deserved to be) then he would have been the one that let the team down and lost us the game. For it to be dismissed as "Origin" is a joke, surely it would be better if the phrase "Origin football" was used to describe exceptional talent and not meathead thuggery?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I hear ya mate. Im not condoning it, just saying it doesn't phase me as much. Being Irish I am reasonably new to Origin. I've been following it about 5 years and Wednesday was my first time to be able to go to a live game. I've been to plenty of Broncos game but I was looking forward to the Origin atmosphere :corn: