DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

harvey_milk.jpg?1272656285
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    DS1119 wrote:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

harvey_milk.jpg?1272656285

Happy Birthday, Harvey!
    ELITIST FUK
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Happy Birthday Harvey! I wish you were still here with us!
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    :D
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    One of my biggest heroes!! Happy Birthday Harvey!

In yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle... whether or not you are familiar with Harvey Milk this article is worth it, just to see how San Francisco politicians do their thing... :lol:

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2012/05/22/u-s-s-harvey-milk-floats-sf-supervisors-boat/

U.S.S. Harvey Milk floats SF supervisors’ boat

It is official: The San Francisco Board of Supervisors backs the idea of the Navy naming a vessel after gay political leader Harvey Milk. But the decision came only after debating the power of symbolism and consulting with a spirit board.

The non-binding resolution, approved 9-2, urges the Secretary of the Navy to christen a ship the U.S.S. Harvey Milk. It supports the request of San Diego Congressman Bob Filner, the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee.

Milk, one of the first openly gay officeholders in the nation, was serving on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors when he was gunned down in 1978 by his former colleague, Dan White.

Milk was a naval officer who served during the Korean War.

Tuesday’s vote came on what would have been Milk’s 82nd birthday.

“LGBT people have always served in our armed forces,’’ said Supervisor Scott Wiener, who sponsored the resolution. “For many, many years, our community was hidden and oppressed in the armed services.

“Now, because of the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ our community can serve openly and proudly,’’ he added. “We must support our LGBT soldiers past and present. I can think of no better way to do that than to name a vessel for a Navy officer who went on to become one of the most important civil rights leaders in history.’’

But Supervisor Christina Olague voted against the legislation, not wanting to link Milk to the military.

“At the end of the day, I just do believe that there are more appropriate ways to honor somebody who in their last days of their life was opposed to war,’’ she said, noting Milk’s public opposition to the Vietnam War. “I also have, my entire life, been against the military-industrial complex. I have my own values that I feel are definitely weighing on my decision.’’

Supervisor John Avalos said he sees the merits of the arguments on both sides of the debate, and hadn’t been sure how to vote on the resolution, so he and his City Hall aides looked to something bigger than them for the answer.

We “actually put our hands on the Ouija board and the letters g-o-o-d-r-i-d-d-a-n-c-e-d-a-d-t came out. We asked Harvey, and Harvey gave us these letters: Good riddance Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. It was quite clear that Harvey Milk would have been opposed to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. I can honestly say that’s one aspect of this resolution that’s really valid.’’

In the end, Avalos joined Wiener and seven other supervisors to support the resolution. Only Olague and Supervisor Jane Kim were opposed.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10