NHL lockout

we-were-but-stoneswe-were-but-stones Posts: 676
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
hi,
i am a big hockey fan from the uk (yes they do exist :lol: )

please could somebody explain briefly what the lockout was all about the other year and why there could be another one next season ?

we got a good quantity of nhl players playing over here in our elite league last time it happened and there are rumors my team the sheffield steelers have signed corey sarich (his brother rod currently plays for the steelers)
manchester 00
manchester 09
belfast 2010
hyde park 2010
manchester 2012 1&2
amsterdam 2012 1&2
EV manchester 2012
EV london 31/7/12
brooklyn 2013 1&2
milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Last time the owners locked out the players as they wanted a salary cap tied to league revenue. They also wanted the players to have an overall rollback in salary. At the time, there were only like 6 teams making good money and they could spend all they want, while the rest of the league was on course for disaster trying to keep up. Ultimately, the owners 'won' although a season was cancelled. The system has been good and worked. The league has been growing each year.

Now the owners want the players to go from 57% of the revenues down to an area where nba and nfl are, like 50-54%. They also probably want to close loopholes like frontloading a long term contract to a player who realistically has a few years of playing time left. Unfortunately, the players have hired donald fehr to run their collective bargaining. He is a strong personality and is largely responsible for the wildly open market the mlb players enjoy.
  • thanks for the info mayday,

i really hope there isn't a lockout although it would be nice to see some top level players over here again

money runing the sport for the fans, seems a familiar tale
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living