The Horse Racing Thread

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
No I'll Have Another at Belmont...sad
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Gotta get to this one year. Everyone's smashed on the infield right now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    WOW!!!!! HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!
    I'll Have Another owns Bodemeister!!!

The dream is still alive! 34 years in the making...2 weeks til history!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I'll Have Another had another
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    What a race! :D
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I have seen the race yet but Pimlico in B-more is a beautiful place to watch a race. I hope I'll Have Another can have another and get the trip crown down finally...the toughfest one is to come in the mile and a 1/2 in the Stakes of Belmont which is the longest haul for the horses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    And it's not going to happen this year. I'll Have Another is out.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

News conference to follow. I certainly wont be watching Belmont now.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

News conference to follow. I certainly wont be watching Belmont now.

I think I saw it was a tendon. Read they don't think he'll race again, which makes sense. Yeah, I won't be watching.
    WOW! I am so disappointed...
    Heartbreaking
    edited June 2012
    pandora wrote:
    Heartbreaking
    It is, but now that I've had a little bit to think about it, this is for the best. What would have been even more tragic and heartbreaking is if they sent this horse out to run tomorrow anyway, and the unthinkable happened. I've seen it up close, and we only need look at Eight Belles a few years ago. This is a smart move by the trainer and owner. I'll Have Another may go on to have a long life breeding now because of this decision to pull him from his chance at glory. Sad, but the right move and the consequences could have been far worse.
    Post edited by FenwayFaithful on
    pandora wrote:
    Heartbreaking
    It is, but now that I've had a little bit to think about it, this is for the best. What would have been even more tragic and heartbreaking is if they sent this horse out to run tomorrow anyway, and the unthinkable happened. I've seen it up close, and we only need look at Eight Belles a few years ago. This is a smart move by the trainer and owner. I'll Have Another may go on to have a long life breeding now because of this decision to pull her from her chance at glory. Sad, but the right move and the consequences could have been far worse.

Especially considering his dirtball of a trainer.
    Yeah, guys like Drug O'Neill and Dutrow from a few years back really make trainers of thoroughbreds look bad
    I agree better today but sad for him, he just did so well!

I always feel they want to run like the wind, horses were born to run....
    magnificent they are.

I'll still watch and see how fate plays out tomorrow, his misfortune another's fortune.
    While the exacta didn't pay much, it was an exciting race nonetheless. I had Union Rags the whole way. It was surprising to see Dullahan or Optimizer not even get a call. Once Paynter jumped out in front early, I knew there was no way he'd go wire to wire. Belmont is just too long of a race.
  • faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    The guy who owns the horse is from my city. He's all over the news and the papers. They're pretty bummed he couldn't race
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
    The guy who owns the horse is from my city. He's all over the news and the papers. They're pretty bummed he couldn't race
    It's certainly a blow to the sport. A triple crown winner would bring new and younger fans to the track and get them excited about something other than X-games.

I think it was mentioned before, but breeding practices has definately played a role in not having a triple crown winner the past generation, as there are more stables vying for stud rights with owners breeding not for talent, but for top dollar investors.

I'm sure we will see the offspring of I'll Have Another thrive in a few years, but he certainly goes down in history as just another great horse falling short of glory.
    Also, we are only about 6 weeks away from opening weekend at Saratoga. Anybody else go up there for the madness? Its a great time, even if you're not a devoted follower of the sport. So much fun.
    Paynter vs Union Rags in a rematch of Belmont July 28th at the Jim Dandy at Saratoga. Getcha popcorn ready! Paynter wants revenge (as much as an animal could feel the emotion of revenge I guess :lol: )
    Then there's this:
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/Authorities-dismantle-illegal-Ariz-horse-track-158679285.html
    Come on, nobody else wants to talk ponies?