Options

Benaroya Hall CD pricing

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
edited May 2012 in Lost Dogs
Hey everyone! So I'm priced out of getting the LP unfortunately, so I just bought the CD... and noticed that CDs are going for normal prices (got mine from Amazon.ca for less than $10), and then also going for nearly $100 and up on Amazon.com ... am I missing something, or is this just one of those really stupid things, where some jackasses are trying to charge $100 - $165 for a CD?? And are there really people out there who would buy it?? Or is there some special CD (can't find that online)? Are imports far less desirable than ones made in the US? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your answers... I'm fairly new to collecting vinyl, and want to learn more about pricing and what it means (including the anomalies), and even though this is a CD, I'm interested to understand and find pricing patterns with such products.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Off the top of my head I'd say you could get them for $15 or less.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Off the top of my head I'd say you could get them for $15 or less.
    Yes, less that $10 actually... but I'm wondering about the huge price disparities. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Got one for 5.99 at half priced books about a year ago. On a side note, I stop by about once a month to a couple different locations and have found 6 Bootlegs for 2.99 each :)
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    you can get it here at the 10c for $13
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    pjradio wrote:

Ya beat me to that one! :nono:
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    pjradio wrote:
    Thanks! ... Already got it for under $10 on Amazon.ca with much cheaper shipping. Although that does answer my question about the imports. :) I'm also wondering about what the deal is with the price range of $5 - $165 just to understand the market better. I've never seen anything like it in any other market...

PS - I emailed one of the companies charging the crazy amount asking why it's priced that way ... don't really expect to ever hear back from them though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    are you sure its not from another country & thats their cost in THEIR money....ie 281 ethiopian birrs , or 7,386 costa rican colons

can't imagine why ppl would try to sell it for $150+ US, knowing that those same ppl can get it for $15US elsewhere
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    are you sure its not from another country & thats their cost in THEIR money....ie 281 ethiopian birrs , or 7,386 costa rican colons

can't imagine why ppl would try to sell it for $150+ US, knowing that those same ppl can get it for $15US elsewhere
    No, definitely priced in US$, because it's all priced on Amazon.com and they only give US$ prices... Anyway, I guess it's just really stupid idiots who think that somehow the CD is relative to the price of the LP or something, without any understanding of why the LP is so valuable. If I hear back from that company I emailed, I'll post the response!
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I prefer UK pressings to US pressing, but it's my choice, not that they are that different... the other day I was talking with some people about CD's manufactured in the 80's and early 90's, they weigh more than today's, the CD, the jewelcase, the booklet were made with better quality products, current CD's wear out and tear up very soon... as I told you before, one of the reasons I buy from UK sellers is because shipping fees are cheaper for me... I see you got a good deal with this CD, I have the Sony/BMG Argentine promo CD of Benaroya Hall, someday I will buy the 10C edition, does your CD fit the description provided for the 10C CD? mine doesn't, very lame digipack sleve, no poster, had to buy a case to prevent the CD from ruining itself... regarding your concern, yes, there are some people that want to rip off customers... for instance, Ukulele vinyl is selling between 40 and 75 on the usual sites because the only way to get it cheap is buying from 10C, sellers advertise it as an Out of print item, but you can buy it here, without being a 10C member, therefore, those sellers take advantage from misinformed customers and false advertising...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...