Vehicle Registration/Renewal

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
What do you guys pay? I know it's different state to state, but here in AZ...it seems absolutely ridiculous!
Your registration/renewal here is based off of how expensive your car is and how new it is.
To renew my car this year, it's going to cost me $365! If I remember right, in IL, it's a flat $99, and in Iowa I think it's even less.

I know a guy who bought a new Mercedes last year. Renewed it for around $750! F'n ridiculous! :x
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    yeah....it's like 100 bucks in IL now. Ohio it's like 50 for cars and 100 for light trucks

did you have to pay sales tax when you bought it?

i'd also be happy to lease you some space in my shed if you would like to get IL tags.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    81 wrote:
    yeah....it's like 100 bucks in IL now. Ohio it's like 50 for cars and 100 for light trucks

i'd also be happy to lease you some space in my shed if you would like to get IL tags.

Yeah, I had to pay sales tax on it.
    When I moved here, one of the docs I work with told me to get my car registered as soon as possible because if you get pulled over, the car is registered in another state and you have a AZ address, they give you 30 days to get it registered in AZ or you have to pay a $500 fee.

Stupid state!! :evil:

Hey DSmith...I hope you don't have a fancy car buddy. If you do, expect to pay up the ass for it! :lol:
    I also think for such a conservative state, how this is even acceptable. People march the streets with pitchforks and torches if the sales tax goes up .001%, but somehow it's ok to be punished for driving a nicer car? :?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:
    Hey DSmith...I hope you don't have a fancy car buddy. If you do, expect to pay up the ass for it! :lol:

It's one of the ways the state makes up for it's ridiculously low property taxes. I just reregistered my truck here in NY so I'm safe for the next two years unless the law you mentioned is true. :think:

...and this is the part where 81 makes fun of me for talking about AZ since December. :corn:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I'm only paying $43 on 2009 Acura TSX

NJ Registration

Of course my property taxes are through the roof
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    dang!

only pay $36 per car per year in PA
    Just read an interesting article about sales tax in the Phoenix area. Apparently vehicles are like everything else you buy and that you pay the state sales tax and county tax where you purchase the car from giving a price advantage to dealers in counties with lower tax rates.

Here in NY you pay the state sales tax in the county where you register the vehicle so even though I may purchase a vehicle in Albany County where the tax rate is 8% I would pay Saratoga County taxes which are 7%. No advantage for a dealer where they are located.

There's a dealer out in Glendale that going nuts right now becasue the city wants to raise the taxes there to help pay for your beloved Coyotes! :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Just read an interesting article about sales tax in the Phoenix area. Apparently vehicles are like everything else you buy and that you pay the state sales tax and county tax where you purchase the car from giving a price advantage to dealers in counties with lower tax rates.

Here in NY you pay the state sales tax in the county where you register the vehicle so even though I may purchase a vehicle in Albany County where the tax rate is 8% I would pay Saratoga County taxes which are 7%. No advantage for a dealer where they are located.

There's a dealer out in Glendale that going nuts right now becasue the city wants to raise the taxes there to help pay for your beloved Coyotes! :lol:

Yeah, there are a TON of people in and around Glendale that just want the team to go away because of this. :lol:
    edited May 2012
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah, there are a TON of people in and around Glendale that just want the team to go away because of this. :lol:

I'm hunting around for the article. I think it was in the Washington Post. Something like even after the sales tax revenue from the arena and what was built up around it with all of that retail the city loses 11 million a year having the Coyotes. :lol:

Here's the abbreviated version. It was a lot more in depth in the print version.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ca ... story.html
    Post edited by DS1119 on
    DS1119 wrote:

I'm hunting around for the article. I think it was in the Washington Post. Something like even after the sales tax revenue from the arena and what was built up around it with all of that retail the city loses 11 million a year having the Coyotes. :lol:

Here's the abbreviated version. It was a lot more in depth in the print version.

That's what I call planning!! :thumbup: :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

That's what I call planning!! :thumbup: :lol:

It's quite simply not enough people go to the games. To be honest I just don't get it. For years I heard the argument it's becasue the team sucked so no one goes. Well, now they don't suck and people still don't go. I've hung out around the football stadium and and arena a few times while football or hockey games were going on and it's an absolute blast.
    DS1119 wrote:

It's quite simply not enough people go to the games. To be honest I just don't get it. For years I heard the argument it's becasue the team sucked so no one goes. Well, now they don't suck and people still don't go. I've hung out around the football stadium and and arena a few times while football or hockey games were going on and it's an absolute blast.

It's just the AZ fan base.
    The Diamondbacks have had good teams and they barely sell 1/4 of their seats at any regular season game.
    Couple years ago when the Cubs were playing the Dbacks in the playoffs, the day before the first game I was able to score tickets easily. Go to the game and it wasn't even close to being sold out....a PLAYOFF GAME!
    I went to a Coyotes game when they were playing the RedWings (I was a Coyotes fan that night :lol: ), and I'm pretty sure 1/5 of the seats were sold. :?
    Even if the Coyotes come back and win the f'n Stanley Cup, I bet you they won't sell out ANY game next year until they get to the playoffs.
    mca47 wrote:
    It's just the AZ fan base.
    The Diamondbacks have had good teams and they barely sell 1/4 of their seats at any regular season game.
    Couple years ago when the Cubs were playing the Dbacks in the playoffs, the day before the first game I was able to score tickets easily. Go to the game and it wasn't even close to being sold out....a PLAYOFF GAME!
    I went to a Coyotes game when they were playing the RedWings (I was a Coyotes fan that night :lol: ), and I'm pretty sure 1/5 of the seats were sold. :?
    Even if the Coyotes come back and win the f'n Stanley Cup, I bet you they won't sell out ANY game next year until they get to the playoffs.

That's a shame because all of the teams have such nice facilities. Oh wll. More for me. :lol:
  • jeff2040jeff2040 Posts: 1,602
    I just paid $35.50 in Iowa but I do drive a 1995 Oldsmobile! :lol:
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    $60 or so here in TX
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I had to pay sales tax on it.
    When I moved here, one of the docs I work with told me to get my car registered as soon as possible because if you get pulled over, the car is registered in another state and you have a AZ address, they give you 30 days to get it registered in AZ or you have to pay a $500 fee.

Stupid state!! :evil:

you are suppose to get plates here when you move into the state within 30 days as well.

we waited 7 months until our ohio plates expired before transferring everything. no sense in paying regestration to two states. :fp: sort of wish i would have kept my ohio plates....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg