Options

My Thoughts on The Who rock honors.

pateljampateljam Posts: 340
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
The Foo's were introduced by David Duchovny, he was very hoarse sounding which was apropos since Grohl's voice was off too. Also it was quite embarrassing having the supergrass singer fuck up the words to the song. I am very curious on which song VH1 will air from this set since they both were off, didn't suck but were just not up to the what the Foo's can do live...

I had low expectations from the Flaming Lips, the bubble thing was so Spinal Tapish that they were hard to be taken seriously. I was concerned that Tenacious D would be the clowns of the night.... however their rendition of "Squeeze Box" was playful and respectful of The Who.
The surprise of the night for me was Incubus they nailed "I can see for miles" and "I can't explain".

Pearl Jam absolutely killed with "Reign", they all had passion and Ed put every ounce of his soul into this song, The Who I am sure are proud of this...
When I saw Adam Sandler on stage, I thought ok here is the Weird Al moment of the night.... but his song was kinda of cool and funny.

The Who was awesome I can't believe that these dudes are in their 60's, because they rocked out hard. They are a great live band and now I know where Pearl Jam gets their inspiration for live performances.
There was a sound problem during "You better, you bet" so they started the song over. However for the next two songs it seems like the music was much louder and Roger's voice was drowned out a little.
In short it was money well spent and I am so jazzed I am gonna try for tickets for their November show.
2000-10-28 San Bernardino
2003-06-02 Irvine
2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
2006-07-09 Los Angeles
2006-07-10 Los Angeles
2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
2009-10-9 San Diego
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    I actually can't wait to see Incubus' covers on Thursday. Sometimes I feel like they're underrated when it comes to their performances. But that's just my opinion. I read in some thread that Grohl was sick and that's why his voice was a tad bit off. :)
  • Options
    alexers wrote:
    I actually can't wait to see Incubus' covers on Thursday. Sometimes I feel like they're underrated when it comes to their performances. But that's just my opinion. I read in some thread that Grohl was sick and that's why his voice was a tad bit off. :)

Ok I forgive Grohl if he was sick... but still don't get that supergrass singer though...
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    the ONLY thing I will say was that I have a lot more respect for jeff... I didn't think he could pull off a song like "The Real Me"

Also, WHY THE FUCK DID THE WHO END WITH THAT AWFUL BORING SOUND, IT KILLED THE MOOD!!!! They should have walked off after "Won't Get Fooled"

That was the last time I will see The Who, unless of course, a member of PJ will be there.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    pjtaper wrote:
    the ONLY thing I will say was that I have a lot more respect for jeff... I didn't think he could pull off a song like "The Real Me"

Also, WHY THE FUCK DID THE WHO END WITH THAT AWFUL BORING SOUND, IT KILLED THE MOOD!!!! They should have walked off after "Won't Get Fooled"

That was the last time I will see The Who, unless of course, a member of PJ will be there.
    The song they ended with is called "Tea and Theatre." They used to end their shows with "Won't Get Fooled Again" or in 2002 they started doing an encore of songs from Tommy. They always ended on a really rousing, Whoish note.

For the 2006-07 tour, they kept the Tommy encore but at the end the rest of the band would leave the stage and just Pete and Roger would perform "T and T." To really "get it" you need to listen to their last album, Endless Wire. It has the mini-opera Wire and Glass. "T & T" is the last song of the mini-opera and sums up the fates of the characters. I won't spoil it for you. You really should listen for yourself. I'll just say that it's about 3 young people who start a band and what happens to them. Many fans speculate that there are echoes of the lives of Keith Moon and John Entwistle in the story. You can also get a CD of just Wire and Glass and many Who fans prefer the version on that. I think it's still available through Amazon.

During the last tour the band would perform all of Wire and Glass fairly early in the show except for that song, then end each concert with "T & T." Early in the tour people were kind of taken aback but it caught on very quickly. Also, because Roger has always drunk tea on stage throughout his shows, at the beginning and end of the song he usually raises his cup to the audience and frequently gives it to someone at the end of the song.

The day after the VH1 show I talked to a friend who wasn't able to make it there. I told him that one point when you could really separate the Who fans from everyone else was when they started "Tea and Theatre." Who fans, like PJammers, stand for the whole show. By the time they'd started playing "T & T" about half the audience had sat down. The Wholigans were still standing and singing along.

I hope you'll reconsider seeing the Who. That was hardly the best show I've seen them do and especially if you can see them during their tour this fall when they'll be a lot tighter. You'll really get an idea of where PJ got much of their live inspiration.

And I agree with you about Jeff. I think Thunderfingers himself was smiling down from on high. Quad is an incredible album and like all Who albums it takes some listening to get into. But "The Real Me" is one of the best songs on it and PJ blew it right out of the water.

Finally, here are the words to "Tea and Theatre":

Will you have some tea
    At the theatre with me?

We did it all - didn't we?
    Jumped every wall - instinctively
    Unraveled codes - ingeniously
    Wired all the roads - so seamlessly

We made it work
    But one of us failed
    That's what makes it so sad
    A great dream derailed
    One of us gone
    One of us mad
    One of us, me
    All of us sad
    All of us sad

Lean on my shoulder now
    The story is done
    It's getting colder now
    A thousand songs
    Still smolder now
    We played them as one
    We're older now

All of us sad
    All of us free
    Before we walk from the stage
    The two of us
    Will you have some tea?
    Will you have some tea
    At the theatre with me?

Note: In the second verse, Roger often sings, as he did Saturday night, "and none of us failed."
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    pateljam wrote:
    Ok I forgive Grohl if he was sick... but still don't get that supergrass singer though...

Yeah... I'm feeling iffy about that. But I haven't seen the show yet so I can't really say anything!
  • Options
    not for me?not for me? Posts: 501
    the foo fighters pretty much sucked
    pj was awesome
    the who were awesome
    incubus was surprisingly good
    flaming lips were ok
    tenacious d was pretty good
    adam sandler made me laugh

great show
    i wish the who played more
    Nathan
  • Options
    the foo fighters pretty much sucked
    pj was awesome
    the who were awesome
    incubus was surprisingly good
    flaming lips were ok
    tenacious d was pretty good
    adam sandler made me laugh

great show
    i wish the who played more

You are right... I think The Who should have played till 11:00...
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pateljam wrote:
    The Foo's were introduced by David Duchovny, he was very hoarse sounding which was apropos since Grohl's voice was off too. Also it was quite embarrassing having the supergrass singer fuck up the words to the song.

It wasn't that bad.
    pateljam wrote:
    Pearl Jam absolutely killed with "Reign", they all had passion and Ed put every ounce of his soul into this song, The Who I am sure are proud of this....

It was only two songs but (per capita) It's the only Pj set I would call "perfect".
    pjtaper wrote:

Also, WHY THE FUCK DID THE WHO END WITH THAT AWFUL BORING SOUND, IT KILLED THE MOOD!!!!

End with stirring emotion? how awful.

I LOVE "Tea & Theater" I think ed should cover it.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,470
    The song they ended with is called "Tea and Theatre." They used to end their shows with "Won't Get Fooled Again" or in 2002 they started doing an encore of songs from Tommy. They always ended on a really rousing, Whoish note.

For the 2006-07 tour, they kept the Tommy encore but at the end the rest of the band would leave the stage and just Pete and Roger would perform "T and T." To really "get it" you need to listen to their last album, Endless Wire. It has the mini-opera Wire and Glass. "T & T" is the last song of the mini-opera and sums up the fates of the characters. I won't spoil it for you. You really should listen for yourself. I'll just say that it's about 3 young people who start a band and what happens to them. Many fans speculate that there are echoes of the lives of Keith Moon and John Entwistle in the story. You can also get a CD of just Wire and Glass and many Who fans prefer the version on that. I think it's still available through Amazon.

During the last tour the band would perform all of Wire and Glass fairly early in the show except for that song, then end each concert with "T & T." Early in the tour people were kind of taken aback but it caught on very quickly. Also, because Roger has always drunk tea on stage throughout his shows, at the beginning and end of the song he usually raises his cup to the audience and frequently gives it to someone at the end of the song.

The day after the VH1 show I talked to a friend who wasn't able to make it there. I told him that one point when you could really separate the Who fans from everyone else was when they started "Tea and Theatre." Who fans, like PJammers, stand for the whole show. By the time they'd started playing "T & T" about half the audience had sat down. The Wholigans were still standing and singing along.

I hope you'll reconsider seeing the Who. That was hardly the best show I've seen them do and especially if you can see them during their tour this fall when they'll be a lot tighter. You'll really get an idea of where PJ got much of their live inspiration.

And I agree with you about Jeff. I think Thunderfingers himself was smiling down from on high. Quad is an incredible album and like all Who albums it takes some listening to get into. But "The Real Me" is one of the best songs on it and PJ blew it right out of the water.

Finally, here are the words to "Tea and Theatre":

Will you have some tea
    At the theatre with me?

We did it all - didn't we?
    Jumped every wall - instinctively
    Unraveled codes - ingeniously
    Wired all the roads - so seamlessly

We made it work
    But one of us failed
    That's what makes it so sad
    A great dream derailed
    One of us gone
    One of us mad
    One of us, me
    All of us sad
    All of us sad

Lean on my shoulder now
    The story is done
    It's getting colder now
    A thousand songs
    Still smolder now
    We played them as one
    We're older now

All of us sad
    All of us free
    Before we walk from the stage
    The two of us
    Will you have some tea?
    Will you have some tea
    At the theatre with me?

Note: In the second verse, Roger often sings, as he did Saturday night, "and none of us failed."

I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with everything you said. "T & T" is a good song. I bought Wire and Glass before the tour of 2006/07, and i was glad i did. I saw them twice, and at one show I asked people sitting around me if they listen to it, and no one did? I was surprised. And they were surprised, when i told them, that they play about 8-10 songs from it. I guess they weren't Wholigans, and i must be a Wholigan, becuase i was standing up and jamming to those songs>LOL!! I think its a real good album. I thought it was a good way to end the show, with just Roger and Pete on stage.

One thing though, i've seen the Who 8 times, and i never saw them end with "Won't Get Fooled Again". I saw them end with: "Twist And Shout" in 1982/89 , "Who are You" in 1996/97, "My Genertation" in 2000. "See Me Feel Me" in 2002, and "Tea and Theatre" in 2006/07.

A good suggestion to that poster to reconsider seeing them this Fall. They will be better i'm sure. I know i can hardly wait to see them again, especailly at a small venue like the Borgata in Atlantic City, N.J. And i hope they END with "TEA and THEATRE".
  • Options
    It wasn't that bad.

I am curious where you there Saturday night or just saw them on TV... the only reason I say this is that there is a distinct difference between the two. They cleaned up the vocals for TV....
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pateljam wrote:

I am curious where you there Saturday night or just saw them on TV... the only reason I say this is that there is a distinct difference between the two. They cleaned up the vocals for TV....

to be honest I found the sound in Pauly to be generally atrocious. it got a little better around incubus.

he muffed like one line of the song and was basically in tune. I don't particularly enjoy supergrass anyway so...

meh, what are you gonna do?
  • Options
    to be honest I found the sound in Pauly to be generally atrocious. it got a little better around incubus.

he muffed like one line of the song and was basically in tune. I don't particularly enjoy supergrass anyway so...

meh, what are you gonna do?

Also did you notice that night that after the Who's, You Better You Bet, you couldn't really hear Roger's voice anymore. That really sucked ass too..
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    One thing though, i've seen the Who 8 times, and i never saw them end with "Won't Get Fooled Again". I saw them end with: "Twist And Shout" in 1982/89 , "Who are You" in 1996/97, "My Genertation" in 2000. "See Me Feel Me" in 2002, and "Tea and Theatre" in 2006/07.
    I guess what I meant was they always played "Won't Get Fooled Again" last, before the encore. Then they've always come back and played something pretty strong and Whoish to finish out the show. Like you, I've heard them close with different songs. They used that Tommy medley in 2002, then added "Tea and Theatre" to it for the 2006-07 tour.

They never did encores until the 80s. When I saw them in 76 they either closed with "Roadrunner" or "Magic Bus." It's been a few years and we didn't keep set lists back then! But I remember both songs. :D
  • Options
    luckytwnluckytwn Posts: 36
    I guess what I meant was they always played "Won't Get Fooled Again" last, before the encore. Then they've always come back and played something pretty strong and Whoish to finish out the show. Like you, I've heard them close with different songs. They used that Tommy medley in 2002, then added "Tea and Theatre" to it for the 2006-07 tour.

They never did encores until the 80s. When I saw them in 76 they either closed with "Roadrunner" or "Magic Bus." It's been a few years and we didn't keep set lists back then! But I remember both songs. :D

You might want to check out:

http://www.thewho.net/concertguide/
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    Pearl Jam-Killed
    Incubus-Surprised me how good they covered The Who songs they did
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    All I want to know is -

Was there a Jamily Poster for this show?!?!?!?
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    fanch75 wrote:
    All I want to know is -

Was there a Jamily Poster for this show?!?!?!?

I don't think so. I looked when I was there, and it was all Who merchandise.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    they really won me over in the 2006-7 tour..
    I have the DVD from my show in Boston (DVD's for each show, what a concept...hint, hint PJ! )
    and they just killed on stage!

Pete was a madman last year..

BUT
    I didn't think Pete looked into the VH1 show at all..with this performance..

On his windmills, he wasn't even strumming the guitar strings..

very half hearted..

but Zak was an animal on the drums..

good stuff!

I'm hoping pete gets rejuvinated for this upcoming tour..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    Why is Pete Townsend such a mopey, unhappy sad-sack?
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    pateljam wrote:
    The Foo's were introduced by David Duchovny, he was very hoarse sounding which was apropos since Grohl's voice was off too. Also it was quite embarrassing having the supergrass singer fuck up the words to the song. I am very curious on which song VH1 will air from this set since they both were off, didn't suck but were just not up to the what the Foo's can do live...

I had low expectations from the Flaming Lips, the bubble thing was so Spinal Tapish that they were hard to be taken seriously. I was concerned that Tenacious D would be the clowns of the night.... however their rendition of "Squeeze Box" was playful and respectful of The Who.
    The surprise of the night for me was Incubus they nailed "I can see for miles" and "I can't explain".

Pearl Jam absolutely killed with "Reign", they all had passion and Ed put every ounce of his soul into this song, The Who I am sure are proud of this...
    When I saw Adam Sandler on stage, I thought ok here is the Weird Al moment of the night.... but his song was kinda of cool and funny.

The Who was awesome I can't believe that these dudes are in their 60's, because they rocked out hard. They are a great live band and now I know where Pearl Jam gets their inspiration for live performances.
    There was a sound problem during "You better, you bet" so they started the song over. However for the next two songs it seems like the music was much louder and Roger's voice was drowned out a little.
    In short it was money well spent and I am so jazzed I am gonna try for tickets for their November show.

FYI-Dave Grohl had horrible laryngitis-i met him that morning having a bagel in Encino....he wasnt even sure he could sing.....that's why, i think, the dude from supergrass "filled in"...
    if hope could grow from dirt like me.....

"well I know for sure that if we met up eye-to-eye....a little wine would bring us closer...you and I"...Pete Townshend
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    FYI-Dave Grohl had horrible laryngitis-i met him that morning having a bagel in Encino....he wasnt even sure he could sing.....that's why, i think, the dude from supergrass "filled in"...

Don't lie. Grohl was pissed off b/c Pearl Jam wasn't selling Jamily Posters for this gig. He was so upset he screamed until his voice was gone; he was so upset he couldn't enjoy himself.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Pete was a madman last year..

BUT
    I didn't think Pete looked into the VH1 show at all..with this performance..

On his windmills, he wasn't even strumming the guitar strings..

very half hearted..

but Zak was an animal on the drums..

good stuff!

I'm hoping pete gets rejuvinated for this upcoming tour..
    Pete sent an email to the moderator of thewho.com the day after the show apologizing if it seemed like he hadn't enjoyed being there. He said he tore a nail on the opening chords of "Baba" and was distracted by that at first. Between that and the sound problems he was having a hard time getting into playing for awhile and was afraid that he came across as angry or as if he wasn't having a good time. Pete can be very fun on stage and his banter with Roger is often hilarious but I think he was preoccupied for much of the show. He also gets angry on stage and never seems to worry about fans' reaction to that so I think he really was concerned or he wouldn't have sent an email.

As for the tour his hand should be healed by then.
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    Pete sent an email to the moderator of thewho.com the day after the show apologizing if it seemed like he hadn't enjoyed being there. He said he tore a nail on the opening chords of "Baba" and was distracted by that at first. Between that and the sound problems he was having a hard time getting into playing for awhile and was afraid that he came across as angry or as if he wasn't having a good time. Pete can be very fun on stage and his banter with Roger is often hilarious but I think he was preoccupied for much of the show. He also gets angry on stage and never seems to worry about fans' reaction to that so I think he really was concerned or he wouldn't have sent an email.

As for the tour his hand should be healed by then.

With that said u figure he would at least look like he enjoyed it somewhat,I mean it was in their honor,too late for an email after the fact.
  • Options
    luckytwn wrote:
    You might want to check out:

http://www.thewho.net/concertguide/
    Too funny! I'd looked up this show before (March 16, 1976) but I kinda prefer my own memories of it. I thought they closed with "Roadrunner" but they followed that with "Won't Get Fooled Again." I had them reversed in my head. Hey, it was only 32 years ago.
  • Options
    Jboogie wrote:
    With that said u figure he would at least look like he enjoyed it somewhat,I mean it was in their honor,too late for an email after the fact.
    Yeah, but Pete's real intense on stage too and if his hand was throbbing and bleeding I can imagine him just being focused on playing and nothing else.

I was at a small pre-party on the UCLA campus before the show that was a fundraiser for the kids of a Who fan named Meg Fox who died in February of breast cancer. Pete and his girlfriend Rachel Fuller had become friends with Meg. As a surprise, Pete came to the party very briefly, spoke to us about Meg, and autographed some posters to be auctioned. He was very modest and soft spoken--not at all what you saw on stage that night.