John Peel

frazbafrazba Posts: 601
edited May 2012 in Other Music
Just found this, thought some of you may be interested. This man provided a fair part of the soundtrack to my youth and I still miss him. He was like an old friend who was there for me every night, without fail.
Magnificent to get a glimpse at his legendary record collection as well (26,000 LP's!!!)

http://thespace.org/items/s000004u
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    frazba wrote:
    Just found this, thought some of you may be interested. This man provided a fair part of the soundtrack to my youth and I still miss him. He was like an old friend who was there for me every night, without fail.
    Magnificent to get a glimpse at his legendary record collection as well (26,000 LP's!!!)

    http://thespace.org/items/s000004u

    Fantastic.... I love this. Peel was the soundtrack to my studies at school and beyond he was the only radio Dj i listened to really.

    I was strangely in the same town as him when he died. My wife and I had just completed the Inca trail and I went to check my emails and logged on to the news to see he had died in the same town in Peru on that day. I will never forget it. He was just about to do the Inca trail, I remember being really sad about this and my wife and I went and had a drink in his honour.

    I listen to BBC 6 music a lot these days, its his legacy. He is very important and I would encourage anyone to find out a bit about him. His books are good too... he broke many big bands in the UK, bands like the Pixies for example... he KNEW, Legend.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil MichiganPosts: 2,436
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NYPosts: 12,192
    Very cool. I am extremely envious of his vinyl collection.
    ELITIST FUK
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    John was a true icon of my youth and beyond,he is wholly responsible for waking me up to the wealth and richness of music diversity at a time when it would have been so easy to get stuck in metal.

    John had NO limits as to what he would listen too,love and promote,that was what was so amazing about him,he did not care for the social status of what was deemed cool,he was a true music fan in the real sense of the word.

    His humour was self effacing,he was truly humble and often seemed bemused at his iconic status in Britain.
    I still miss him,this site is amazing,as Mikee J suggests I would also encourage people to find out about him.

    Truly legendary!


    Thanks for posting frazba :wave: :clap: :wink:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    In case you missed it.
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    frazba wrote:
    In case you missed it.


    Was just about to bump it too!!!

    :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    A bit disappointed with the responses though I don't suppose there are many people outside the UK/Ireland who know who he is and how big an influence he had on the UK music scene, especially in the eighties.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil MichiganPosts: 2,436
    frazba wrote:
    A bit disappointed with the responses though I don't suppose there are many people outside the UK/Ireland who know who he is and how big an influence he had on the UK music scene, especially in the eighties.


    I only learned of John Peel, after he passed. I've watched a few short videos on Youtube about the man. He was a big fan of the White Stripes. It sounds as though, he helped a ton of bands to get some radio play. Cool dude!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • veddertownveddertown ScotlandPosts: 5,260
    Any time I ever started to run out of new music to listen to John Peel was always there like a shining beacon beaming new light into my life. If I ever became disillusioned with the current music scene I found salvation by listening to his shows. He opened my eyes at a very young age to the fact that the music we have to endure on daytime radio in the UK and the bands that were given television coverage were only a small fraction of the music out there and he showed you where to look. He was a great speaker and music was his life. I grew up with John, Tommy Vance and Andy Kershaw and without them I'd have missed out on so much. I rarely listen to radio anymore and I don't think the BBC will ever find a better DJ. Nice of you to bring him up frazba!
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

    Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WAPosts: 1,872
    The Peel Sessions are always awesome. I love PJ Harvey's.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    veddertown wrote:
    Any time I ever started to run out of new music to listen to John Peel was always there like a shining beacon beaming new light into my life. If I ever became disillusioned with the current music scene I found salvation by listening to his shows. He opened my eyes at a very young age to the fact that the music we have to endure on daytime radio in the UK and the bands that were given television coverage were only a small fraction of the music out there and he showed you where to look. He was a great speaker and music was his life. I grew up with John, Tommy Vance and Andy Kershaw and without them I'd have missed out on so much. I rarely listen to radio anymore and I don't think the BBC will ever find a better DJ. Nice of you to bring him up frazba!


    Have you tried BBC 6 music?
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • veddertownveddertown ScotlandPosts: 5,260
    Mikee J wrote:
    veddertown wrote:
    Any time I ever started to run out of new music to listen to John Peel was always there like a shining beacon beaming new light into my life. If I ever became disillusioned with the current music scene I found salvation by listening to his shows. He opened my eyes at a very young age to the fact that the music we have to endure on daytime radio in the UK and the bands that were given television coverage were only a small fraction of the music out there and he showed you where to look. He was a great speaker and music was his life. I grew up with John, Tommy Vance and Andy Kershaw and without them I'd have missed out on so much. I rarely listen to radio anymore and I don't think the BBC will ever find a better DJ. Nice of you to bring him up frazba!


    Have you tried BBC 6 music?

    If I find time to listen to radio it's always BBC 6 music...... ;)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

    Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    veddertown wrote:
    If I find time to listen to radio it's always BBC 6 music...... ;)

    Jolly good :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Bump out of respect for the great man.... :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
Sign In or Register to comment.