Baking Tips

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
OK. So let's say it's your wife's birthday (or you husband, girl friend, boy friend, domestic partner, significant other or other than stated).

You're gonna be a real "guy" (or dude, lady or chick) and make him or her a birthday cake... from scratch!

Hint: The teaspoon is the one that says "TSP" not "TBSP". Don't confuse the two unless you like really salty cake!

:shock:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    :lol: I've been there. Baking is very specific, and I am the worst baker of all time!At least you tried! My family still makes fun of me for being a dumbass; I'm a pretty good cook on the stove, but only recently started trying to bake cookies/cakes, etc. and I thought there was a special mix for cupcakes :lol: I didn't know it was regular cake mix :? :fp:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Baking tips? Always leave a bud in the chamber. :lol:
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    DS1119 wrote:

Oh, yeah! You mean like slow bake:

:| ... :) ... :D ... :shock: ... :mrgreen: ... :lol::lol::lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Oh, yeah! You mean like slow bake:

:| ... :) ... :D ... :shock: ... :mrgreen: ... :lol::lol::lol:

and then: :corn:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    baking is very difficult because there is very small margin for error......even the hoity-toity chefs on them fancy cooking shows get nervous if they have to bake something!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    baking is very difficult because there is very small margin for error......even the hoity-toity chefs on them fancy cooking shows get nervous if they have to bake something!

I can make hard as a rock, giant frisbee cookies! :D
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i thought this thread was about weed :(
    conman wrote:
    i thought this thread was about weed :(

:nono: :corn:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My mom took a baking class and her cake still isn't that good. Sorry Mom! :shifty:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i used to make a killer peach pie

my cookies were pretty good too

never could get a cake to rise evenly
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I can make hard as a rock, giant frisbee cookies! :D

I tried that once but they were more like granite rock that rock giant frisbee. :lol:

I wasn't trying :? :lol: Oh well, they make pretty good dunkers, I guess
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    It's the thought that counts. When my husband and I were dating he invited to his house for dinner. He made macaroni and cheese (Kraft, from the box) and I said, "What are we having WITH the macaroni and cheese?"

But I was impressed that he tried. A cake from scratch would be awesome.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Just get a ghiradelli cake from the box and make your own frosting/filling . It'll save You the headache
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i am a great baker of some things. coffee cake, coffee cake muffins,gluten free coffee cake muffins ,gluten free chocolate chip cookies, glueten free oatmeal coconut cookies, oatmeal coconut cookies and ruggalah that is world class. what do you want to know.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    never could get a cake to rise

You have to talk dirty to it first. :lol:
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    foodboy wrote:
    i am a great baker of some things. coffee cake, coffee cake muffins,gluten free coffee cake muffins ,gluten free chocolate chip cookies, glueten free oatmeal coconut cookies, oatmeal coconut cookies and ruggalah that is world class. what do you want to know.
    Do share your recipes for the gluten free stuff. I'm just starting to bake gluten free from scratch and so far so good. I made a to do die for gluten free sour cream chocolate cake with from scratch cream cheese frosting. Talk about heaven. Tonight I made gluten free red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Both were from scratch. And friggen amazing to say the least.
    foodboy wrote:

Just one thing: Do you give out free samples? :D

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    A for realz baking tip for making a cake from scratch:

Cut a large square of wax paper into two pieces. Place the wax paper on a cake plate next to each other (they can overlap a little). When you're ready to ice the cake, place the cake on top of the two pieces of wax paper on the cake plate. When you're done icing the cake, pull the two pieces of wax paper out from under the cake and viola! It looks like you were super amazing at icing the cake and the cake plate will be clean at the bottom.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Yeah that salt thing must be tricky! My brother once made mash potatos (That isn't even baking!) and put 1/4 CUP of salt in, instead of 1/4th teaspoon! :lol:
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Yeah that salt thing must be tricky! My brother once made mash potatos (That isn't even baking!) and put 1/4 CUP of salt in, instead of 1/4th teaspoon! :lol:

Sooooo... he made a salt lick?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • drivingrl wrote:
    Yeah that salt thing must be tricky! My brother once made mash potatos (That isn't even baking!) and put 1/4 CUP of salt in, instead of 1/4th teaspoon! :lol:

Sooooo... he made a salt lick?

Yep...With potato! :shock:

Wow... :lol:
    Another big goof one time- the recipe said baking soda. I read too quickly and grabbed baking powder. Not the same thing! :oops:

brianlux wrote:
    Another big goof one time- the recipe said baking soda. I read too quickly and grabbed baking powder. Not the same thing! :oops:

What happened?