Anyone Ever Cut Their Cable Cord?

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have this yard-tool. It is kind of a claw that you push onto a weed, then pry the weed up, and it removes the weed and the root. Works really well.
21FKaGMR4GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I like it better than chemicals all the time.

So anyways, I am pulling up a weed and the root is fairly stubborn. The thing snaps off. I try again, and it is pulling up the ground horizontally. Im like wow, this is a nice root. Then out comes a severed cable line. fuck. I subscribe to satellite which is cool, but i use Time Warner for internet, which is now out.

Anyone ever do this before? The line seems awfully shallow if you rip it out weeding. WIll a cable company charge for the fix?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

i found a cable in my yard. i think it was a comcast cable... i could actually see it on the ground. ended up yanking it out myself since we don't use them.

switched to WOW and they only burried their cable a couple of inchs.

anyways, i would guyess they woudl charge you to fix it. but since it's just a coaxial cable, you could fix it yourself for a few bucks and rebury it...allthough it might be less hassle to let the experts do it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JH228JH228 Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    No big deal.

If you have the tools to strip the cable line and then install new connectors, it's an easy quick fix.

All you'll need is the two rg59/6 connectors, an f81 (coupler) and a little tape or an enclosure to cover the splice when you bury it.

Once it's back together your internet should be back online in a few minutes.

I work for a major cable company in Canada as a network tech...if I had a service call for something like this, I'd take two minutes and fix it for free. It really shouldn't take more than 5 mins. I don't know your cable companies policy though, there may be a minimal charge.
    Post edited by JH228 on
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    duct tape
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    JH228 wrote:
    No big deal.

If you have the tools to strip the cable line and then install new connectors, it's an easy quick fix.

All you'll need is the two rg59/6 connectors, an f81 (coupler) and a little tape or an enclosure to cover the splice when you bury it.

Once it's back together your internet should be back online in a few minutes.

I work for a major cable company in Canada as a network tech...if I had a service call for something like this, I'd take two minutes and fix it for free. It really shouldn't take more than 5 mins. I don't know your cable companies policy though, there may be a minimal charge.

could you get me HBO? :mrgreen:
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I have this yard-tool. It is kind of a claw that you push onto a weed, then pry the weed up, and it removes the weed and the root. Works really well.
    21FKaGMR4GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    I like it better than chemicals all the time.

So anyways, I am pulling up a weed and the root is fairly stubborn. The thing snaps off. I try again, and it is pulling up the ground horizontally. Im like wow, this is a nice root. Then out comes a severed cable line. fuck. I subscribe to satellite which is cool, but i use Time Warner for internet, which is now out.

Anyone ever do this before? The line seems awfully shallow if you rip it out weeding. WIll a cable company charge for the fix?

I have that yard tool! The girlfriend laughed at me when I bought it, saying it wouldn't work for shit... best $20 I spent at home depot in a long time!

And yea, you could have ripped your cable... when the AT&T guy setup U-verse to my house, he didn't bury it at all, just ran the cable along a cross brace on the fence... there's several loops of excess cable right at the bottom of the pole, sooner or later I know I'm going to take it out while mowing the lawn... :fp:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    shep wrote:
    I have that yard tool! The girlfriend laughed at me when I bought it, saying it wouldn't work for shit... best $20 I spent at home depot in a long time!

just looked at one the other day....$25 bucks at the local home depot....damn chicago tax
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JB just did this by accident, he fixed it easily but we still had the cable guy come out
    and run the new line ...
    they don't charge for it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That is a cool tool.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Thanks for the replies. Im probably going to fess up. Im always weary of Cable Companies though. Worst case theyll charge me money and Ill just cancel the internet service.

As far as that tool.... backed hard. It is actually addicting, pulling the weeds out that easily. I bought it for $30 on Amazon, its gone down since.
    You start pulling the weeds out.... the entire thing in one neat hunk... and you cant stop. Then you see weeds elsewhere throughout your day and you wish you had your Fiskers weed removing tool to fuck shit up.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Digsafe?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Digsafe?
    I just didnt think to call when weeding. This thing goes less than 1.5-2 inches in the ground, and de-weeding is incorporated in my routine lawn-care operations.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    duct tape

:lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Digsafe?
    I just didnt think to call when weeding. This thing goes less than 1.5-2 inches in the ground, and de-weeding is incorporated in my routine lawn-care operations.

Even if you had called them it might not have done any good. My neighbor called them (though it's called something else here, but I'm assuming it's the same idea) when he was having a hole dug to put up a basketball hoop for his kids. They came out and marked all the utilities, then when the digging got underway there was a 10 ft water spout shooting out of his yard, about 5 feet away from where the water line had been marked. But even though they can be worthless, it does cover your ass from any liability.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"