Options

Official Vienna setlist

Comments

• Options
    I'm about to get REALLY flamed for this, but I can't stand being silent anymore - I don't like Sad or Parachutes. I like them, but as far as PJ tunes go. they're two of my least favorites...along with Mankind. I just don't understand why everyone loves those three tunes. Can someone please explain it to me?

This really isn't the time or place. Start your own thread. Besides... do you REALLY want someone to explain it to you?
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    did ed do anything during last kiss?
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    jlew24asu wrote:
    did ed do anything during last kiss?

yes, he sung

edit: i guess
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    I'm about to get REALLY flamed for this, but I can't stand being silent anymore - I don't like Sad or Parachutes. I like them, but as far as PJ tunes go. they're two of my least favorites...along with Mankind. I just don't understand why everyone loves those three tunes. Can someone please explain it to me?
    you shouldn't get flamed just for having your opinion on those songs. as far as explaining them....i love them personally, but if they aren't 'clicking' with you, then an explanation seems to be a moot point.

it's like if someone loved 'sweet lew' (and i can't stand it lol)....even if they told me how fantastic it was, it would still sound the same to me i think. different strokes :)
  • Options
    Bookworm,
    I have listened to them over and over. Guess I just don't get it. It happens. Glad you enjoy them, though! :-)

Sheets of Clay -
    Everyone has been saying (on most setlist threads) how much they like a set based on song choice. I dislike these songs and thus am not as excited about tonight's set. People give opinions and ask questions on setlist threads all the time. Sorry you don't like it. Just skip the posts on it - but what better time and place to discuss two songs than on the message board shortly after they've been played? And yes, as a musician in college studying music, I would love if someone could give a good, musically educated reason for loving these songs. Talk about the progression, the melody, what Matt plays, the bassline - something that I could then go listen to more and see if it changed my opinion.
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • Options
    nice!

the why go-go combo to end the first set...

isnt that a contradiction or something like that?
  • Options
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    yes, he sung

edit: i guess

I am rolling around the ground laughing so hard. do you write your own material?
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    jlew24asu wrote:
    I am rolling around the ground laughing so hard. do you write your own material?

actually, no
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    actually, no

great answer!
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • Options
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    actually, no

I didnt think so. the thought that went into your response its way out of your league
  • Options
    SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    Everyone has been saying (on most setlist threads) how much they like a set based on song choice.

Listen to the Albany show. It's basically exactly what Eddie said when they (he) determines the setlist. Do you play the radio songs or songs for the "freaks"? Personally, I prefer the songs for the "freaks", since I've heard all the radio songs live way too often.

But it is personal preference.
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • Options
    And yes, as a musician in college studying music, I would love if someone could give a good, musically educated reason for loving these songs. Talk about the progression, the melody, what Matt plays, the bassline - something that I could then go listen to more and see if it changed my opinion.

Dude... if you need someone to TELL you why to like music (from a "musically educated" perspective), you've got some serious problems! :)

It's rock n roll... you feel it or you don't.
  • Options
    Listen to the Albany show. It's basically exactly what Eddie said when they (he) determines the setlist. Do you play the radio songs or songs for the "freaks"? Personally, I prefer the songs for the "freaks", since I've heard all the radio songs live way too often.

But it is personal preference.

I agree. And I'd rather hear the songs for the freaks. Just not the three I mentioned. :-p
  • Options
    anyone anyone?
  • Options
    Off He Goes, Black, DTE, Evenflow
    Where do i go to soothe my head? Guess i'll turn on music instead.
  • Options
    I know Inside Job is long, but jeez...
  • Options
    how many more?? 3, 4, 5???
    Ljubljana 19.06.2000
    Zagreb 26.09.2006
    Munchen 12.06. 2007
    Berlin 15.08.2009
    Dublin 22.06.2010
    Belfast 23.06.2010
    Berlin 30.06.2010
    Prague 02.07.2012
    Berlin 04.07.2012
    Berlin 05.07.2012
    Manchester 28.07.2012 - E.V.
    Worcester 15.10.2013
    Worcester 16.10.2013
    Brooklyn 18.10.2013
    Brooklyn 19.10.2013
    Trieste 22.6.2014
    Berlin 26.6.2014
    Milton Keynes 11.7.2014
    Buenos Aires 7.11.2015
    Sao Paulo 14.11.2015
    Rio de Janeiro 22.11.2015
    Chicago Wrigley Field 20.8.2016
    Chicago Wrigley Field 22.8.2016
  • Options
    Dude... if you need someone to TELL you why to like music (from a "musically educated" perspective), you've got some serious problems! :)

It's rock n roll... you feel it or you don't.

True, to an extent. However, I can tell you from experience that often, when someone shows me a part of a song I may have missed, it often increases my enjoyment of the song. There's a lot going on in music and if you latch on to the part you don't like then you may miss something good. So all I'm asking is if there's something specific about those songs someone likes. Is it the lyrics, a guitar riff, the bass line? You have an INITIAL gut reaction, but, as in anything (politics, for example), if someone can give you a good, educated reason to rethink something, you should at least give it a chance, even if you still end up disagreeing. And, honestly, some people could probably tell you based on what your favorite songs are WHY you like them. In music, our brains are programmed in such a way that certain things (such as chord types) can affect our emotions (i.e. the basic example of major chord = happy). So I would argue that while you don't NEED an understanding to like something, HAVING an understanding can help you to like it.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Wasn't there a request thread for Bugs for this show? I hope they play it for that person, and I hope that Eddie says what it is about for my peace of mind :).

Also, I not a big Parachutes fan, but I really like Sad. The reason I don't see them in the same vein is because Parachutes has a chaotic scatteredness about it in the lyrics. In some places it doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's suppose to be a love song, but with the cotton candy music I thought it would. The lyrics for sad are easier for me to understand, and I think they are very poignant, and it's an extremely sad song.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Ah OFF HE GOES! :o
    That always makes any set shine brighter.

Inside job>>OFF HE GOES>>Black

I must say, that's one hell of a gorgeous threesome too!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    Good reasons, Ms. Haiku. Thanks for that!
  • Options
    True, to an extent. However, I can tell you from experience that often, when someone shows me a part of a song I may have missed, it often increases my enjoyment of the song. There's a lot going on in music and if you latch on to the part you don't like then you may miss something good. So all I'm asking is if there's something specific about those songs someone likes. Is it the lyrics, a guitar riff, the bass line? You have an INITIAL gut reaction, but, as in anything (politics, for example), if someone can give you a good, educated reason to rethink something, you should at least give it a chance, even if you still end up disagreeing. And, honestly, some people could probably tell you based on what your favorite songs are WHY you like them. In music, our brains are programmed in such a way that certain things (such as chord types) can affect our emotions (i.e. the basic example of major chord = happy). So I would argue that while you don't NEED an understanding to like something, HAVING an understanding can help you to like it.

Fine. I'll bite. Mike's solo at the end (subtle, echoey thing under Ed's vocals) is the reason why McCready is a master. It's so understated and soulful, it just oozes the tragedy of the song without being in your face.

Still don't like it? Didn't think so.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Ah OFF HE GOES! :o
    That always makes any set shine brighter.

Inside job>>OFF HE GOES>>Black

I must say, that's one hell of a gorgeous threesome too!

I agree totally !
    Hold me, and make it the truth,...
    That when all is lost there will be you,...
    Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing
    And there's just one word I stil believe
    And it's Love

29-08-06 (Arnhem)
    28-06-07 (Nijmegen)
    27-06-10 (Nijmegen)
  • Options
    Thanks sheets! I'll re-listen to that. Since I've never been a fan of the song, I don't usually get that far into it, so it'll be interesting to go back and try and hear what you're talking about. I'll give it a listen when I get home. And it's not a matter of biting - I truly believe what I said. What would be the point of debate without the ability to change someone's mind? I've ended up loving a lot of bands (and songs) that I hated at first because a friend pointed out something I had missed. Then, the more I listened, the more I understood. So hopefully Mike's solo will tune me in.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    This looks good so far. :)

I'll have to check back later.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Thanks sheets! I'll re-listen to that. Since I've never been a fan of the song, I don't usually get that far into it, so it'll be interesting to go back and try and hear what you're talking about. I'll give it a listen when I get home. And it's not a matter of biting - I truly believe what I said. What would be the point of debate without the ability to change someone's mind? I've ended up loving a lot of bands (and songs) that I hated at first because a friend pointed out something I had missed. Then, the more I listened, the more I understood. So hopefully Mike's solo will tune me in.
    maybe check out the words and communication forums....there are threads for both parachutes and sad (the former i started because i'm a super froot loop for it haha). not sure if the explanations will be technical enough, but might be good to read people's feelings on the tunes :)
  • Options
    Thanks Chiquimonkey, I'll check those out!
  • Options

Another point - Sad - the vocal harmonies during the bridge, i don't know if it is just Ed layering vocals or if Stone or Matt is singing - they are some of the best on any recorded PJ song
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    Has nothing to do with this thread , but i was a ghost so far , and became an animal :)))))
    How did that happen ?
    Hold me, and make it the truth,...
    That when all is lost there will be you,...
    Cause to the universe I don't mean a thing
    And there's just one word I stil believe
    And it's Love

29-08-06 (Arnhem)
    28-06-07 (Nijmegen)
    27-06-10 (Nijmegen)
  • Options
    Cool, good stuff everybody. I'll give Sad a listen or two (or three...) tonight!