Other Good Fan Clubs

63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Just curious as to what your experiences were with joining some other fan clubs and if it was worth it or not. Debating Third Man Records because it seems like a pretty cool deal. Anyways, just curious as to what everyone's thoughts were.
'08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
'10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
'12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
'14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
'17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
'18- Fenway
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    This is my one and only :D
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Like the band or not, DMB's Warehouse is a great fan club.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Posts: 6,136
    haven't checked the TMR forum, plus, I'm overseas, you can join the TMR Vault membership without belong to the fan club, by suscribing the vault you have access to exclusive internet stuff, and of course, vinyl and dvd every three months, don't know how it works exactly, having sent emails since ever, never got a reply, seems vault membership is only for US residents... I spend some time in Noel Gallaghers forum, its ok, there are few people, they are pretty cool, but its almost empty, today I asked where are the NG fans, it's been two days since my last visit and nothing happend... NG is touring latin american and no latin america fans post there, and the US, CA UK and EU fans posted at the time, but the flow of post isn't like this... wonder why?
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    i'm too old/tired to join another fan club...happily, this place is enough to keep me busy :D
    aqo2t.jpg
  • PJArtistPJArtist Posts: 542
    Ditto:)
    New Orleans 00/Seattle 02/New Orleans, Houston, Dallas 03/
    Kissimmee 04/Montreal 05/Chicago 06/Gorge 06/Leeds 06/London 07/Lollapalooza 07/EV Chicago 08/EV Santa Barbara 08/Bonnaroo 08/EV @ McCartney NY 09/EV Atlanta 09/Spectrum 09 (4 shows)/Jazz Fest '10/Voices for Justice (EV) 10/Columbus 10/Noblesville 10/EV Sydney, Melbourne 11/EV Philadelphia, Detroit 11/Alpine weekend/Toronto 11 (2 shows)/Made in America 2012/Deluna Fest 2012/Missoula 2012/Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Dallas, OKC, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle 2013/Global Citizen/Florida 16/MSG 16/Wrigley 16
  • parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 741
    samjam wrote:
    Like the band or not, DMB's Warehouse is a great fan club.
    Most definitely. I'm not a huge fan, but I joined because my girlfriend is. Their ticketing system has it's ups and downs, much like 10C, but as far as merch goes, they blow this place oughta the water. Bigger, better selection, more frequent sales (like the Cinquo de Mayo sale that just happened with $5 shirts), and here's a concept, after a tour is over you can get almost ANY piece of tour merch through the DMB shop. Including, amazingly enough, the much sought after "sports style/event specific" shirts. Just my 2 cents, but I feel like the 10C could learn a few things by example.
  • UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,383
    Member of The Warehouse as well like the fanclub and the bonus discs you get when you preorder through it.

I also signed up for Third Man Records Vault recently and I will tell you how that works out when I get my first vault package.
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,831
    Phish charges everyone an extra $5 or $10 or whatever and gives everyone a code on their ticket to download that show almost immediately after it finishes.

Metallica's (from what I hear) goods come on time, as opposed to 10C's 6-7 months late. OTOH, they're more expensive. I'll take the 10C method if it means saving a few bucks.

Take Phish's concept of codes on the tickets and 10C is even better.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    That's cool to hear about Metallica's fan club thing and even DMB though I don't listen to them. But these bands are so commercially successful so it's good they still pay attention to their fans. So it's fairly obvious that those fan clubs have more money thus maybe better services in some areas.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    This is the only one with membership fee. I once gave the Soundgarden forum a chance but it didn't work out for me. However, I'm still a Soundgarden world member mostly because of the beautiful merch and of course the good news. Well, the last ones don't come so often. :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Interesting thoughts. Anyone hear anything about the MMJ one? It looked pretty decent.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Interesting thoughts. Anyone hear anything about the MMJ one? It looked pretty decent.

Pretty cool. I haven't renewed yet, but for the price of joining you get a matching Tshirt/screenprint set, which is worth the price of admission alone. There are ticket perks(presale and soundcheck packages) and they've gave 2 songs in the "Self-hypnosis Series".

For those wondering about the 3rd Man record club. It's not a fanclub exactly. You pay $60 which covers the 3x$20/month for one quarter. Each quarter has a package that feature a full length 12", a 7" single and a rotating gift. There's been dvds, tshirts, a 2nd 7" record and screenprints for the 3rd piece. You get access to any online content they post and they also have some ticket perks but I'm not totally sure how they work.

The the packages work....Say you pay in January...they'll have a cutoff date and after that they'll figure up the quantity of packages they need to produce and about 3 months later they start shipping. About the time you're really ready for that arrive they'll post the next quarters package and it starts over again.

After seeing what Metallica, DMB and MMJ offer I dunno if 10c could really be considered that great of a fan club.
    That's good to know. I think I'll pull the trigger on TMR today and it stinks because 2 weeks ago I was debating MMJ but as of then they had no tour dates announced really besides overseas. A few days later they announced a slew of East Coast dates including Philly :fp:
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,163
    Thinking about getting into the MMJ fanclub. They have fanclub numbers like 10C?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Thinking about getting into the MMJ fanclub. They have fanclub numbers like 10C?
    I dont think so, but the new and improved Roll Call now awards you "points" for different things such as forum posts, forum friends, length of membership, etc. Now I have no idea what you're going to be able to redeem with these points but the concept is pretty cool.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    awards you "points" for different things such as forum posts, forum friends, length of membership, etc. Now I have no idea what you're going to be able to redeem with these points but the concept is pretty cool.

interesting.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Thinking about getting into the MMJ fanclub. They have fanclub numbers like 10C?
    I dont think so, but the new and improved Roll Call now awards you "points" for different things such as forum posts, forum friends, length of membership, etc. Now I have no idea what you're going to be able to redeem with these points but the concept is pretty cool.

They claimed when they started it there would be seniority, but they're not using that company anymore so who knows.

There is a points store, right now you can get last years poster of tshirt for 1000 points.

Two things about Roll Call:
    1. It costs $43, which to me is kinda pricey
    2. The tickets are awesome if they play seated venues, but they play lots of all GA shows. I've bought tix to 8 shows through Roll Call, 5 of them have been GA. On the other hand, the tix for the other 3 shows were 1st row, 1st row and 2nd row.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    DewieCox wrote:

Pretty cool. I haven't renewed yet, but for the price of joining you get a matching Tshirt/screenprint set, which is worth the price of admission alone. There are ticket perks(presale and soundcheck packages) and they've gave 2 songs in the "Self-hypnosis Series".

For those wondering about the 3rd Man record club. It's not a fanclub exactly. You pay $60 which covers the 3x$20/month for one quarter. Each quarter has a package that feature a full length 12", a 7" single and a rotating gift. There's been dvds, tshirts, a 2nd 7" record and screenprints for the 3rd piece. You get access to any online content they post and they also have some ticket perks but I'm not totally sure how they work.

The the packages work....Say you pay in January...they'll have a cutoff date and after that they'll figure up the quantity of packages they need to produce and about 3 months later they start shipping. About the time you're really ready for that arrive they'll post the next quarters package and it starts over again.

After seeing what Metallica, DMB and MMJ offer I dunno if 10c could really be considered that great of a fan club.
    With the 3rd man package you have a chance at vault tix, which are the best seats in the house and you have no seniority bullshit to deal with. Pay this month, not the next you still have a shot at the tix......3rd Man /Jack White are light years ahead of any other.......
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    I actually prefer the "non - fan club sign up to the mailing list, don't spend a dime on Fan Club fees" system that some bands have.

Ben Harper - Signed up to the mailing list, and have had access to Pre Sales for every Ben Harper show that I wanted to attend. Scored 2nd row centre at Massey Hall through one of the pre sales.

Wilco - Just by signing up and not spending a dime on fan club fees, I've seen Wilco from 2nd row, 3rd row, 7th row and 10th row, not to mention the GA tix scored in pre sales to shows that sold out during the public sale.

That's just two examples. There are tons of bands that operate this way.

q
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    In my experience with fan clubs (as I've joined a great many just for tickets), the Metallica fan club seems to be the best oiled machine of all the fan clubs I've dealt with.

They provide easy access to tickets. They put out 4 magazines a year like clockwork. They communicate very well with email updates etc.... For me its been that fan club that sets the bar.

I've been in the U2 one in and out over the years (I mostly subscribe every year there's a tour to help get tickets). Its sort of a rollcoaster. Before fanfire took it over. It was called propoganda. It was really good. Not too expensive. Several magazines a year etc... Fanfire took it over and completely botched the tickets part. However over the years its been fine tuned. The last two tours I've had no problem getting floor tickets. They usually put out a year item. This years is going to be a live album compilation from the last tour on CD. Pretty cool.

Any other fan club I've been in has been a complete cash grab. IE you might get some stickers for signing up, but you're basically signing up for ticket access. It kind of sucks now. Some bands give equal access to their fan club tickets. Some bands only sell the good ones in premium packages (on top of a membership fee). I think alot of fan clubs have developed as a way to charge a premium on tickets that goes directly to the band.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I actually prefer the "non - fan club sign up to the mailing list, don't spend a dime on Fan Club fees" system that some bands have.

Ben Harper - Signed up to the mailing list, and have had access to Pre Sales for every Ben Harper show that I wanted to attend. Scored 2nd row centre at Massey Hall through one of the pre sales.

Wilco - Just by signing up and not spending a dime on fan club fees, I've seen Wilco from 2nd row, 3rd row, 7th row and 10th row, not to mention the GA tix scored in pre sales to shows that sold out during the public sale.

q
    This is how it should be
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    awards you "points" for different things such as forum posts, forum friends, length of membership, etc. Now I have no idea what you're going to be able to redeem with these points but the concept is pretty cool.

interesting.....

one 'fanclub' site I was looking into (can't remember which one) lets you 'earn' certain titles 'newbie', 'seasoned fan' 'hardcore fan' etc depending on the number of posts you have...though apparently someone will look thru your posts, so you have to have 'real' posts, no funsies posts just to boost post count...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    LukinFan wrote:

q
    This is how it should be

It probably depends on how much hands on work needs to be done. I'm guessing the 10c couldn't do it for free because they have to spend all that time sorting out the tickets based on senority. I'm guessing for less popular bands where there are fewer tickets and no senority it would require way less manpower?
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    The Metallica Club (MetClub) is the jam! The boards are pretty quiet, but they have collectables come out atleast once a month, they post exlusive tour videos frequetly, they do the fan can every few years, and they have an annual garage sale. The garage sale is INCREDIBLE. Think of every limited item PJ did this year, then on one scheduled day they post everything in the store that was either returned or canceled from a bad check or CC. This year they have box sets, fan cans, t shirts, limited vinyls, shift knobs, and other cool stuff. Some of these items were orinially limited to 100 so to have a chance at them again was incredible. If anyone is going to join they have a referral program, when you get 5 people to sign up under your name you get an autographed item, 25 a signed ESP guitar!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Linkin Park is decent. For $60, you get a t-shirt, a flag, lanyard with membership laminate, earplug case keychain thing and of course pre-sale tickets. You also get a chance to attend pre-show Meet and Greets. There is also a $25 membership, same thing except no t-shirt or flag.

Presale worked smooth, I was able to get 5th row tickets this time. Last tour I went GA, my son and I were right up front.

And last night, got an email informing that they will hold their annual summit day of the show we are going to in Camden, NJ. This annual summit sounds like an extended meet and greet, backstage tours, soundchecks, acoustic sets, etc. This summit is free to members, you just have to get your pass through their ticketing system Saturday.

Last tour, they also gave a code to go online and download bootleg of the show.

Oh, and they are having a members only private show this weekend in LA.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    A good friend who belongs to several fan sites (including 10C) has the highest praise for Metallica's.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Alright may be a dumb question but I'm in for the Premium membership which is $60 for the vinyl and access to all that jazz on the website. Is it something completely different and I will need to "Subscribe" too for anything else? I think it was $20 a month for a few months. I don't think I need to but just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
    TMR that is... Forgot to mention that part.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway