What's Happening with Hockey - Not a NHL Playoff question

mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So I just have to ask if anyone else is concerned with the introduction of the "ice-girls" on some NHL teams? I know its the NHL's answer to cheerleaders but this is just a little degrading isn't it? I mean do we really need younger girls skating around the ice in tiny outfits cleaning up excess ice/snow and garbage fans throw on the ice. Today, on Yahoo, I came across hockeys answer to lingerie football, bikini hockey - http://bikinihockeyleague.com/index.html

Thoughts? :fp: :corn:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    mervin50 wrote:
    So I just have to ask if anyone else is concerned with the introduction of the "ice-girls" on some NHL teams? I know its the NHL's answer to cheerleaders but this is just a little degrading isn't it? I mean do we really need younger girls skating around the ice in tiny outfits cleaning up excess ice/snow and garbage fans throw on the ice. Today, on Yahoo, I came across hockeys answer to lingerie football, bikini hockey - http://bikinihockeyleague.com/index.html

Not a big hockey follower,or Gloria Steinem or anything,but I think it's stupid,they've been taking about doing this in Edmonton for years......
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
    mervin50 wrote:

Not a big hockey follower,or Gloria Steinem or anything,but I think it's stupid,they've been taking about doing this in Edmonton for years......

Doesn't Edmonton have them under the title Octane?
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    It's totally unnecessary and it could push casual female fans further from the sport. They are just there to use sex to sell the product without any real value to the sport.
  • I don't really care either way. I saw this at the last hockey game I was at and it didn't really have an effect on me. I don't even bother getting offend by this sort of thing, just pointless. I did get a good chuckle the first time I saw them just thinking--Jeeze that sucks, they have to be freezing!
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    I don't really care either way. I saw this at the last hockey game I was at and it didn't really have an effect on me. I don't even bother getting offend by this sort of thing, just pointless. I did get a good chuckle the first time I saw them just thinking--Jeeze that sucks, they have to be freezing!

it's no different then cheerleaders if the females want to dress that way more power to them.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    mervin50 wrote:
    mervin50 wrote:

Doesn't Edmonton have them under the title Octane?

Ya I believe your right,told ya not much of a hockey follower :lol: ,doesn't really bother me either way,all the power to the girls if that's what they want to do,but I do think it's stupid,and that's when I'd be making a beer run :lol:

• mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
    Yeah at Rexall you gotta leave 10 mins before the end of the period just to get to the washroom then the beer lines! :D
    mervin50 wrote:
    Yeah at Rexall you gotta leave 10 mins before the end of the period just to get to the washroom then the beer lines! :D

Once when I was young,brave,drunk and stupid I pushed my way in to the guys can there cuz the womens is always a brutal wait :lol::lol: It was awesome.....

• Once when I was young,brave,drunk and stupid I pushed my way in to the guys can there cuz the womens is always a brutal wait :lol::lol: It was awesome.....

:clap: You are my hero! :lol:
    Once when I was young,brave,drunk and stupid I pushed my way in to the guys can there cuz the womens is always a brutal wait :lol::lol: It was awesome.....

:clap: You are my hero! :lol:

Thank you,Thank you :D

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    When I was a young kid in the 80's, I used to go to the Boston Garden and see these old dudes clean up the hats and hot dog wrappers off the ice after plays stopped.

Now I see pretty girls in skirts do the same thing.

Yeah, it's evolution baby. ;)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    youngster wrote:
    When I was a young kid in the 80's, I used to go to the Boston Garden and see these old dudes clean up the hats and hot dog wrappers off the ice after plays stopped.

Now I see pretty girls in skirts do the same thing.

Yeah, it's evolution baby. ;)

:lol:
  • I roll my eyes when I see ice girls. It's just weird. "Cheerleading" in hockey? Having said that, it doesn't bother me too much, because only a few teams employ scantily clad women to clear the ice and collect hats. I just figure it's an American thing. It makes me think of the 1960's, middle America, and Glee.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    This has been going on for 10 years now in hockey Why do you find this so "degrading" to women, but yet seem to not care bout NBA teams have cheerleaders and dancers or NFL having cheerleaders or high school and middle school and even young kids being cheerleaders? To me the last 3 are degrading to women and set a culture of girls dressing like sluts.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    mervin50 wrote:

back when I went to hockey games I'd use the women's bathroom if the men's line was long. This was when I was a kid.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?