Options

Well I Just Spoke to Lanegan...

Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 278
edited May 2012 in The Porch
Well I just spoke to Mark Lanegan last night and I posed the question of his potential involvement in the upcoming Mad Season projects and he said "Yes. I will most likely being doing some stuff with them." I had to ask. There is an answer from the man himself delivered with a magnificently sly grin.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 699
    very cool.
  • Options
    Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 278
    I thought so.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Excellent work! I like confirmation on these sorts of things.
  • Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    That was the most epic side project ever. Just like AIC, it ain't the same without Layne. No reason they can't come up with a new name for the project.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    That was the most epic side project ever. Just like AIC, it ain't the same without Layne. No reason they can't come up with a new name for the project.

I hear ya. No Layne, no Mad Season or Alice In Chains. These are tracks by Mike, Barrett & John without any vocal tracks from Layne. I would be sad (just like the new AIC) if they do go ahead with this project and call it another Mad Season CD & tour with it. If they call the project something else, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    You couldn't have picked a better question to ask him! Thanks! ;)
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    demetrios wrote:
    These are tracks by Mike, Barrett & John...

Just to be clear -- you do know that John died before Layne, right?
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    That is correct but the recordings being used for this project were recorded before either of them died. Layne just wasn't in a position to record vocals for them. The recordings have been around since 1997.
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    unforgiven wrote:
    That is correct but the recordings being used for this project were recorded before either of them died. Layne just wasn't in a position to record vocals for them. The recordings have been around since 1997.

Fascinating! I'm curious as to how they're going to pull this off...Lanegan sees to be the only one I can see [that's alive] in any singing capacity for MS.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think there's a big difference between Mad Season continuing to use the name and AiC.

Mad Season seemed to be a band without a real leader or sole creative force. They are also lacking the name recognition which Cantrell has explained was a part of them using the AiC moniker again.

Cantrell was obviously the main guy in Alice and felt that his solo records just got tossed aside simply b/c it wasn't AiC on the label. I can't really blame him for that, and I think BGWTB really proves that. For missing such a key figure that album still sounds a helluva lot like the Alice In Chains I know, even vocally.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Does everyone realize Lanegan was on the first Mad Season album? Harmonized on the verses of I'm Above and traded verses with Layne on Long Gone Day. No issues here if his vocals lead on a Mad Season project.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Okay thanks.

Usually people ask some dumb question
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604

they did. It was called Disinformation.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    kramer73 wrote:

they did. It was called Disinformation.

And that's what this new released CD / project should be called, Disinformation. Not Mad Season.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    pjl44 wrote:
    Does everyone realize Lanegan was on the first Mad Season album? Harmonized on the verses of I'm Above and traded verses with Layne on Long Gone Day. No issues here if his vocals lead on a Mad Season project.
    Exactly.

Also, I wouldn't mind Maynard James Keenan taking a shot.
  • Options
    kstedrykstedry Posts: 23
    Maynard would be cool, I guess.

But if we're just throwing out names, I vote for Mike Patton.

But Lanegan is the only one, in my opinion, that can take over lead vocals without me having any band name concerns.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Another thread here said Lanegan had committed to three songs....that leaves room for multiple 'guest' vocalists if they choose to do so....the two posts above mine list two of my top 5 fav singers, I'd love to hear from both.
    And I know it's not a popular opinion, but I wouldn't mind hearing a song or two from Duvall....bringing the new guy into the loop for a side project is a very seattle-scene thing to do ;)

Does anyone know if the completed songs (sans vocals) had lyrics penned? THAT is my biggest issue with (a) new singer(s)...there are some good singers out there who at least somewhat live up to Layne's legacy....but his dark, sombre lyrics were a big part of the overall MS vibe....