Surfer sets record

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    I remember seeing that video last November shortly after the ride. Garrett is a mad man! 78 feet tall, it's just ridiculous what they can do being towed-in nowadays. :shock:
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    I still can't get over the size of the wave, it is just monsterous! Good job by that guy!
  • bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    Been hoping someone would post this...those guys are absolute legends, completely insane, but legends all the same.

I love the part in the attached article where it says he didnt want to go out that day because he had numerous wipeouts in the same spot previously...on BIGGER waves

Can anyone name a sport that requires more bravery and skill

Thanks for the post Brian
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    that ride is sick,but most BIG wave surfers will tell you the real record is 95 FT WAVE out in the Cortez Bank

it wasn't filmed ,but i think it was Mike Parsons who rode it .plus their were quite a few guys who saw it live so its probably true

great book " THE WAVE " by Susan Casey... read it if you like this awesome sport
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    and yes this sport is in the top 2 of sickest shit ...probably #1
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    nice piece on Mark Healey on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/

another awesome big wave rider and sick as balls free diver
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    that ride is sick,but most BIG wave surfers will tell you the real record is 95 FT WAVE out in the Cortez Bank

it wasn't filmed ,but i think it was Mike Parsons who rode it .plus their were quite a few guys who saw it live so its probably true

great book " THE WAVE " by Susan Casey... read it if you like this awesome sport
    i was wondering when you would chime in :lol:
    conman wrote:

this is my 2nd favorite sport brother..right up my alley 8-)

wish their was more of an audience on this board
    conman wrote:

i don't why i never got into surfing, i grew up on the beach and in the ocean but i just never picked up a surfboard
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    conman wrote:

That really is surprising considering we all know of, umm... this one particular surfer dude who likes to sing. 8-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

totally brian..its very surprising

i have lived near the water my whole life...so ii always loved it
    then vedder comes along and my new band i love has the coolest mofo lead singer )just 1 of the many reasons why)

Thanks for all your posts...I know the book, it is awesome. If those guys said he rode a 95ft wave...then he definately did...one thin they are not is liars...the only slight misstruth may be that the wave was probably actually bigger!!

Bit surprised as well to not see so many surfers on the forums...its just my life...spent five years unable to surf due to a bad work accident...so now value it more than ever...would live in the ocean if I could.

Got to ask but...if its your second favourite sport...whats number one?
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
    And conman its nowhere near too late for you to start...it is a tricky sport to start for an adult...and youve got to be prepared to suck at it for a while...but honestly the rewards!!!

A good mate of mine turned thirty about a month ago...he asked me if I could teach him to surf...he said he always told himself he would be a surfer before he got to thirty. I got this seven foot fish off a mate of mine...took him to a nice gentle place...and I swear to you he stood up on the third wave he caught, rode it most of the way to shore...awwww the look on his face was so priceless...I dont think a day has gone by since that he hasnt gone out...
    bindy123 wrote:
    And conman its nowhere near too late for you to start...it is a tricky sport to start for an adult...and youve got to be prepared to suck at it for a while...but honestly the rewards!!!

A good mate of mine turned thirty about a month ago...he asked me if I could teach him to surf...he said he always told himself he would be a surfer before he got to thirty. I got this seven foot fish off a mate of mine...took him to a nice gentle place...and I swear to you he stood up on the third wave he caught, rode it most of the way to shore...awwww the look on his face was so priceless...I dont think a day has gone by since that he hasnt gone out...
    i definately want to give it a try at some point... i have a lot of time off this summer so maybe it's time
    bindy123 wrote:

When I was a kid a buddy of mine made what we called "skim boards" which were basically round pieces of plywood rubbed with candle wax on the bottom side. Throw 'em down, jump on top and slide on the water. Great fun! Then when I was about 12 I went to Hawaii with my folks who weren't into spending the money to rent boards ( go figure) so my brother and I went body surfing which was fun until the first time I got in too shallow and was slammed hard into the sand under the water and couldn't figure which way was up and which way was down. Crazy kids- lucky to be alive for the crazy things we did. :lol: (Well, I can laugh now anyway. :lol: )

Best to go with someone who knows what they're doing. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EulFrt1rpPA

MY FAVORITE BIG WAVE SPOT

JAWS ...MAUI
    bindy123 wrote:

Thanks for all your posts...I know the book, it is awesome. If those guys said he rode a 95ft wave...then he definately did...one thin they are not is liars...the only slight misstruth may be that the wave was probably actually bigger!!

Bit surprised as well to not see so many surfers on the forums...its just my life...spent five years unable to surf due to a bad work accident...so now value it more than ever...would live in the ocean if I could.

ICE HOCKEY!!!!!!!!! :lol:

talk about exact opposite's :mrgreen:
    bindy123 wrote:

ICE HOCKEY!!!!!!!!! :lol:

talk about exact opposite's :mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol: