Children and Death

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My son's grandpa passed away this morning after a battle with lunch cancer. My son is 3 1/2 and doesn't know yet. I kept him overnight while his mom and step dad were at the hospital. It's just gut wrenching.

What the hell does someone do? I decided to take him to daycare this morning where he could be with his friends and be happy before his mother can speak to him. I think if he would have stayed with me he would have picked up on my emotions and known something was wrong.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I just went through this with my boys about 2 months ago when their great grandpa passed. It was hard because we saw him almost every other week. My oldest understood but my 3 1/2 year old didn't understand. The way I told him is that grandpa was very sick (which he was and the boys saw) and that God wanted him to be an angel now so he didn't hurt anymore. And that he has a very special angel flying around with him now. So whenever anything silly happens around the house for no reason, I tell him that Grandpa the angel must be playing tricks with him.

I agree with what you did. Keep their routine normal until you all can sit with him and tell him and answer any and all questions he may have about it. Now granted, there might not be many, but there will be some.

Hugs, prayers, and good vibes to you and your family during this time.
  • Circle of life dude. Shield them from reality now and it only makes them dillusional later.
    The world can be cruel at times to be sure but it is also a beautiful place to be.

The lion king is a wonderful learning tool about this very thing.
    Except for the Hyenas, they are just evil.

sorry for your loss.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    i think that you'll find strength in being there for your son

my very close friend went through this last thanksgiving.... later on he actually felt bad that he didn't grieve "properly" for his dad because he was so busy with his toddler son

i think you sit with him and chat... it's all you can do

thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family