DNS Changer...WTF?!?!

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
ok, so I log on today, and I keep getting an alert "You or one of the computers on your network has been identified as being infected with a DNS Changer Bot" :?

I went to the FBI.go site: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/no ... are_110911
went to the site www.dns-ok.us, I get a green screen, I go thru my ISP's recommendations and installed the Norton Removal Tool thingie, re-started my computer and I keep getting the stupid warning. :x :x :x

I called my ISP and talked to 'tech support' and they said "well, the Norton tool may have missed it, so you may still be infected" ok, thanks, you're not much help... :fp:

Does anybody have any experience with this? WTF? It's supposed to become 'doomsday' on July 9 for computers...
(please don't move this from here Kat/Sea, there isn't much traffic in the tech area)
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Oooh I seem to remember getting a DNS error at one point - I'm almost positive that it turned out to be a Trojan type thingy. I believe eventually I had to reinstall everything on my computer...I hope it's not that serious for you!

**And I realize I'm really not of much help either, sorry!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    have you tried rebooting?

:P

when in doubt, back everything up and reinstall windows.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Oooh I seem to remember getting a DNS error at one point - I'm almost positive that it turned out to be a Trojan type thingy. I believe eventually I had to reinstall everything on my computer...I hope it's not that serious for you!

I have everything backed-up, so I'm not so worried about wiping the hard drive clean...it just takes so darn long...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I have everything backed-up, so I'm not so worried about wiping the hard drive clean...it just takes so darn long...

do it...it will probably take just as long to get rid of it
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

do it...it will probably take just as long to get rid of it

but it could still infect my computer...something about the router from my ISP too...I don't know how to check the DNS settings on that... :(

- Christopher McCandless
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I wish I knew how to back my computer up. :? I asked 81 once and he left me hanging with my dick out in the wind. :lol:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    but it could still infect my computer...something about the router from my ISP too...I don't know how to check the DNS settings on that... :(

just read this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/255137/p ... anger.html

and it looks like you'll have to reformat your computer regardless...as for checking your router, you'll have to get instructions from your isp (if they provided it for you)...if you bought it on your own, go to it's website and look for instructions there
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    You see what happens when you let 81 into your hotel room?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    You see what happens when you let 81 into your hotel room?

Remind me to push him down the stairs at the next luggage cart race...

- Christopher McCandless
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

just read this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/255137/p ... anger.html

and it looks like you'll have to reformat your computer regardless...as for checking your router, you'll have to get instructions from your isp (if they provided it for you)...if you bought it on your own, go to it's website and look for instructions there

none of my DNS addresses are using the rouge servers...now I have to check the routers...never had any issues till Comcast wanted me to use their router...

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Comcast wanted me to use their router...

you don't have to use theirs....tell em to go pound sand and get your own....i assume they charge you a monthly fee for it?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

you don't have to use theirs....tell em to go pound sand and get your own....i assume they charge you a monthly fee for it?

this
    DS1119 wrote:
    I wish I knew how to back my computer up. :? I asked 81 once and he left me hanging with my dick out in the wind. :lol:

if you can't figure out how to use an external hard drive, you are beyond help....go play in the street instead.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

if you can't figure out how to use an external hard drive, you are beyond help....go play in the street instead.

Heading to the street. :?
    DS1119 wrote:

buy external hard drive

remove external hard drive from box

plug external hard drive power cord into electrical outlet

plug usb cord from external hard drive to computer

on computer, open up my computer

right click on my documents; select copy

double click on external hard drive icon in 'my computer'

right click in empty space; select paste

go outside to play in traffic while files copy
    norm wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

buy external hard drive

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

buy external hard drive

I sense sarcasm.
    oh you're on a mac? time machine is your answer

;) :P
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

this

I have my own wireless router and modem, and then they wanted me to sign up for their stupid triple play thingie, now I get 'high speed internet' and HBO, Starz, and a phone line for $10 more a month.

I checked my router, and it seems fine, I didn't see any of the addresses on the no-no list.
    I don't know anything about the router/modem they set me up with, I know you can connect to it...the install guy just installed and left, never gave me any paperwork on it. I looked on TigerDirect for a modem/router and don't see that I can buy my own that has all that other shit with it...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    You may need to use their modem, especially if you have a phone line through it, but i'm pretty sure you can always use your own router.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City