Options

So assuming they do give out last minute "pity tickets" how does that usually work?

indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
edited July 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Alright, although I previously thought I WOULDN'T go down the Vic on Thursday and beg for tickets, the fucking "Pearl Jam Fever" is really getting to me. I'm starting to feel like I'm gonna end up there anyway. *SUPPOSEDLY* Some people said that in the past at the Forum, Gorge, etc. they handed out SOME tickets at the very last minute before the show started, to people that persisently waited and begged all day.

How did they handle this?

Was there a "ticket begger's line"?

Did people plead at the box office window after the people WITH tickets filed in?

What I DON'T wanna do is be an ASS and stand in the REAL line and hold people up since it's not like I'd have tickets that way anyway. I'd just get pushed aside at 4 when they distribute them. Is it logical to assume that we should organize a "hoping we get pity tickets" line seperate from the REAL line? Have they ever done that before? If we aren't making a formal "begger's line" then I'd much rather NOT take a sick day just to start standing in line around noon. I could be there by 5:30 AFTER work instead.

I don't mean to stur up new rumors or anything 10C staff, just curious how this might go down....
I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I think it varies venue to venue... never heard tickets being given out at the gorge though, thats cool
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Alright, although I previously thought I WOULDN'T go down the Vic on Thursday and beg for tickets, the fucking "Pearl Jam Fever" is really getting to me. I'm starting to feel like I'm gonna end up there anyway. *SUPPOSEDLY* Some people said that in the past at the Forum, Gorge, etc. they handed out SOME tickets at the very last minute before the show started, to people that persisently waited and begged all day.

How did they handle this?

Was there a "ticket begger's line"?

Did people plead at the box office window after the people WITH tickets filed in?

What I DON'T wanna do is be an ASS and stand in the REAL line and hold people up since it's not like I'd have tickets that way anyway. I'd just get pushed aside at 4 when they distribute them. Is it logical to assume that we should organize a "hoping we get pity tickets" line seperate from the REAL line? Have they ever done that before? If we aren't making a formal "begger's line" then I'd much rather NOT take a sick day just to start standing in line around noon. I could be there by 5:30 AFTER work instead.

I don't mean to stur up new rumors or anything 10C staff, just curious how this might go down....

Last year at Irving Plaza a group of people lined up to the left of us who had tickets. Before the door opened someone from the bands staff came out and started handing out tickets haphazardly. About 20 or so people got tickets, but as people began to rush her she ran back inside. You live in Chicago! You have to go and try! I wish you luck!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    I think it varies venue to venue... never heard tickets being given out at the gorge though, thats cool

Don't quote me on the Gorge BTW, I haven't been witness to any of this, I "think" I might have read an account of this. Consider me "Non-factual" LOL
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Don't quote me on the Gorge BTW, I haven't been witness to any of this, I "think" I might have read an account of this. Consider me "Non-factual" LOL
    you KNOW you want to
    :)
    but i agree with you, it's unlikely that they would give out "pity tickets" before the doors opened so if you cant afford to take the day off work, wait til after work
    of course we'd love to see you there
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    At the showbox in '04 there was a pretty decent group,around 50 people, milling around outside. I was with a group of 6, and we all eventually got in. A bouncer just started to randomly select people and they were allowed to bring someone with them. It was after the opening act, and I am pretty certain everyone that was waiting outside got in. I was even able to get a poster as they had a lot left when I came inside. If I lived in Chicago I would certainly head down there and mill around. Whats the worst that could happen, hear the show from outside? (ya that would suck) oh and by the way, we had to pay face value for the tix.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    skinnypig wrote:
    oh and by the way, we had to pay face value for the tix.

This is a good point. Bring money! The only reason they were giving away tickets to Irving was that they were free to begin with. The last thing you want is to get the green light into the Vic only to be turned away for not having some dough on you!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    Thanks skinnypig. Yeah I think I'm gonna go anyway. At the very least right after work. I'll lead the charge of rejected losers onward to the bar if I don't get in! ;p
  • Options
    Pray
    Mahalo Mike..3/1/91, 5/25/91, 8/29/91, 1/3/92, 1/17/92, 7/22/92, 9/20/92, 10/25/93, 12/7-9/93, 2/5-6/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/6-7/95, 10/20/96, 7/10-11/98, 7/13-14/98, 10/22/00, 10/24-25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2-3/03, 6/5-6/03, 7/6-7/06, 7/9-10/06, 7/12-13/06, 7/16/06, 7/22/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06.
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    No, no tickets at the door none of you should show up. No one but me. :)

The way I see it someone comes out with wristbands and is never seen again. Someone could probably come by with fake wristbands and start a riot.
  • Options
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    No, no tickets at the door none of you should show up. No one but me. :)

The way I see it someone comes out with wristbands and is never seen again. Someone could probably come by with fake wristbands and start a riot.

Oh let me tell you a story about fake wristbands and a riot!

So in 2004 I'm in Vegas for vacation. One of the nights, I'm walking around Mandalay with my cousin, and I stopped and said, I swear to God, that's one of the Beastie Boys!!! I wasn't sure, and I didn't wanna be a dick and bug him so we kept walking. Sure enough, IT WAS MIKE D, because Beastie Boys were supposed to play a "$2 Concert" the next day I found out afterward. So I go down there hoping to buy a ticket off of a scapler. I figured if I paid up to $50 it would be like getting a "normal ticket" right?

Turns out people were showing up at 9 PM the NIGHT BEFORE, and things escalated into a MINI-RIOT including tons of cops, beer bottles being thrown, etc. They tried dispersing people 3 times, and finally at 8 AM they told everyone that they would be given a wristband. If they came back at 2 hrs. before showtime, they'd exchange their wristband for a ticket.

So when I got there, people were hawking wristbands. I wait around for over a half hour, figure out who's selling, and what they're asking. I finally picked a guy, put the unused wristband on (should have tipped me off right there, but you COULD take an unused one with you for a friend), and go stand in line. After over a half hour in line, the security people come over, tell me my wristband is fake, and kick me out of line!!! Turns out if it DIDN'T have any numbers printed on the white part where it sticks together, it was real. This thing was a dead ringer for it, minus the number part.

I bitched at the security people and said "How the fuck am I supposed to know it was fake? I just wanted a ticket!" They told me to try and find the guy. Yeah, good luck with that. He left a half hour ago asshats! So I waited until show start pleading with them, and never got in. :(

Fastforward 2 days, and now I'm at the very front of the line for Velvet Revolver. These tickets were REAL and I bought 'em from a broker before the whole Beastie Boys fiasco. Here's where it gets interesting....

Guess who walks in? The fat little bald mid-30's asshole that sold me the fake!!! I kept debating whether or not to confront him, and it started to look like he was gonna leave. So I explained the situation to the people in line, and asked if they would hold my spot. They said aboslutely, and I walked up to him. Just to make sure it was him, I asked if he sold the other wristbands. He said yeah he did. Well then I said. "Well you sold me a FAKE, and I want my money back. They didn't let me in the show." He starts to back peddle, and denies it. Then he started RUNNING through the crowd to the exit. I stopped a security guard for the Hard Rock Hotel (concert venue) and asked him to help me stop him after I explained what hapened.

We got to the door, and the douche bag was off and running. I said fuck this, and took chase. He across the BIG lot, and got to the street, then crossed between traffic and into a Motel 8. I figured by the time I crossed he had gone down the hallway, ran out a side enterance, and was long gone.

Guess what? The hallway needs a key card! So I explained the situation to the desk clerk, and described what the guy looked like. He said he wasn't paying attention to everyone entering, but some guy is in the bathroom. So I waited, and guess who comes out in about 5 minutes? THE DOUCHEBAG!!!! I told him, "Now the cops are coming asshole, where's my fucking money?" He kept trying to push his way out, and I shoved him back in, even when people were coming through the door from the outside LOL. He was arguing that he's never seen me before, blah, blah, blah, to the clerk. All I said was "C'mon, would I be this neurotic if I had a shred of doubt in my mind that this was the guy?" So we're arguing for about another 15 min. and finally I said "Look, you give me half my fucking money and I'll let you go. Or, you can wait for the cops to handle this cuz they're on the way!" He gave up and gave me $25 bucks, and we both left before the cops came.

Vindication mother fuckers!!! What I did was probably pretty dangerous and stupid, but it was a fat, short, balding mid-30's white guy! LOL Only thing I was worried about was a knife. I would've STOMPED HIM if it came to that. If nothing else, it was worth a great story, and a big win on matter of principle!
  • Options
    LongGoneLongGone Posts: 44
    Not sure how this would work. Irving Plaza was free to begin with so it makes sense to let peeps in for free if there was room. The Fonda was a 10C show only but it was also FREE so again it made sense to let peeps in. The Vic however, is not free. So it wouldn't be fair to let people in for FREE when everyone else paid money to be in there. My friend called 10C and they told him straight up there's tons of people who want to get in but reality not everyone will get in.

BUT... maybe they will let u in at the very end? I don't know guys. Show up anything is possible.... DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?? Everything always seems to work itself out with this band! HAVE FAITH!
    "This time I'm Gone.... Long Gone..."
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161

So in 2004 I'm in Vegas for vacation. One of the nights, I'm walking around Mandalay with my cousin, and I stopped and said, I swear to God, that's one of the Beastie Boys!!! I wasn't sure, and I didn't wanna be a dick and bug him so we kept walking. Sure enough, IT WAS MIKE D, because Beastie Boys were supposed to play a "$2 Concert" the next day I found out afterward. So I go down there hoping to buy a ticket off of a scapler. I figured if I paid up to $50 it would be like getting a "normal ticket" right?

Turns out people were showing up at 9 PM the NIGHT BEFORE, and things escalated into a MINI-RIOT including tons of cops, beer bottles being thrown, etc. They tried dispersing people 3 times, and finally at 8 AM they told everyone that they would be given a wristband. If they came back at 2 hrs. before showtime, they'd exchange their wristband for a ticket.

So when I got there, people were hawking wristbands. I wait around for over a half hour, figure out who's selling, and what they're asking. I finally picked a guy, put the unused wristband on (should have tipped me off right there, but you COULD take an unused one with you for a friend), and go stand in line. After over a half hour in line, the security people come over, tell me my wristband is fake, and kick me out of line!!! Turns out if it DIDN'T have any numbers printed on the white part where it sticks together, it was real. This thing was a dead ringer for it, minus the number part.

I bitched at the security people and said "How the fuck am I supposed to know it was fake? I just wanted a ticket!" They told me to try and find the guy. Yeah, good luck with that. He left a half hour ago asshats! So I waited until show start pleading with them, and never got in. :(

Fastforward 2 days, and now I'm at the very front of the line for Velvet Revolver. These tickets were REAL and I bought 'em from a broker before the whole Beastie Boys fiasco. Here's where it gets interesting....

Guess who walks in? The fat little bald mid-30's asshole that sold me the fake!!! I kept debating whether or not to confront him, and it started to look like he was gonna leave. So I explained the situation to the people in line, and asked if they would hold my spot. They said aboslutely, and I walked up to him. Just to make sure it was him, I asked if he sold the other wristbands. He said yeah he did. Well then I said. "Well you sold me a FAKE, and I want my money back. They didn't let me in the show." He starts to back peddle, and denies it. Then he started RUNNING through the crowd to the exit. I stopped a security guard for the Hard Rock Hotel (concert venue) and asked him to help me stop him after I explained what hapened.

We got to the door, and the douche bag was off and running. I said fuck this, and took chase. He across the BIG lot, and got to the street, then crossed between traffic and into a Motel 8. I figured by the time I crossed he had gone down the hallway, ran out a side enterance, and was long gone.

Guess what? The hallway needs a key card! So I explained the situation to the desk clerk, and described what the guy looked like. He said he wasn't paying attention to everyone entering, but some guy is in the bathroom. So I waited, and guess who comes out in about 5 minutes? THE DOUCHEBAG!!!! I told him, "Now the cops are coming asshole, where's my fucking money?" He kept trying to push his way out, and I shoved him back in, even when people were coming through the door from the outside LOL. He was arguing that he's never seen me before, blah, blah, blah, to the clerk. All I said was "C'mon, would I be this neurotic if I had a shred of doubt in my mind that this was the guy?" So we're arguing for about another 15 min. and finally I said "Look, you give me half my fucking money and I'll let you go. Or, you can wait for the cops to handle this cuz they're on the way!" He gave up and gave me $25 bucks, and we both left before the cops came.

Vindication mother fuckers!!! What I did was probably pretty dangerous and stupid, but it was a fat, short, balding mid-30's white guy! LOL Only thing I was worried about was a knife. I would've STOMPED HIM if it came to that. If nothing else, it was worth a great story, and a big win on matter of principle!

When I went to see PJ at Golden Gate park in San Fran in 95 I spent the night in line to be up front of the mosh pit. Took a trip over to my vehicle which is a van in the middle of the night cause I remembered I left my ticket in the glove box. Got in the car sat down and heard something in the back turned around and there was someone in the back ripping me off. He jumped out the side door with my backpack worth about $1000 including contents that he had got by cutting the lock off a big chest and ran down Van Ness avenue with me in hot pursuit. I chased that asshole around in circles for like 10 minutes dodging cars before he threw it down. Turns out he was on his 2nd trip had already ripped me off including rifling thru the glove box and throwing everything out in the street. Fortunately managed to find the ticket blown about 20 feet from my car. Less fortunately Eddie had food poisoning that day. Doh! Did meet a hot little sweetie in the mosh pit that day though. :)
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    Dreamfire2 wrote:
    When I went to see PJ at Golden Gate park in San Fran in 95 I spent the night in line to be up front of the mosh pit. Took a trip over to my vehicle which is a van in the middle of the night cause I remembered I left my ticket in the glove box. Got in the car sat down and heard something in the back turned around and there was someone in the back ripping me off. He jumped out the side door with my backpack worth about $1000 including contents that he had got by cutting the lock off a big chest and ran down Van Ness avenue with me in hot pursuit. I chased that asshole around in circles for like 10 minutes dodging cars before he threw it down. Turns out he was on his 2nd trip had already ripped me off including rifling thru the glove box and throwing everything out in the street. Fortunately managed to find the ticket blown about 20 feet from my car. Less fortunately Eddie had food poisoning that day. Doh! Did meet a hot little sweetie in the mosh pit that day though. :)
    that is an awesome story.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    We should all designate a spot to stand together, in case for some miraculous reason there are extra tickets available.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    iamica wrote:
    We should all designate a spot to stand together, in case for some miraculous reason there are extra tickets available.
    agreed. The pity line forms to the left.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    2 of my friends and I got in to the KROQ show at the Henry Fonda theatre in LA last tour..about the same size venue as the Vic...

We didn't have tickets, the only way you could get them was by calling KROQ and winning them, but we held out hope for pity tickets...

About three songs into PJs set, one of the bouncers came out and started picking people at random to let in(the line totally broke down, so the people that had been there all day were no better off than the people that had gotten there 30 minutes prior)...They DID let us in, but they told us all day repeatedly that they would NOT be giving any more tickets out. I think they do that to discourage people and lessen the mob, so don't always believe what you hear. I'm not sure whether they let everyone in without a ticket or not, once I got mine I ran in and never looked back...

Like Irving Plaza, though, that was a free show, which makes it a bit different than the Vic...you can count on there being a line for people that don't have a ticket, though, and you can count on the venue telling them that they won't have any tickets...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    this might get ugly out there.
  • Options
    SCRIBLING C-MENTSCRIBLING C-MENT Springfield, IL Posts: 248
    This is not going to be pretty, with Lolla in town could you imagine the numbers of people that will be waiting for 'pity' tickets?

But did someone mention starting the line on the left...
  • Options
    skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    jblagg wrote:
    .They DID let us in, but they told us all day repeatedly that they would NOT be giving any more tickets out. I think they do that to discourage people and lessen the mob, so don't always believe what you hear.

The bouncers did the same thing at the Showbox in '04. So we went across the street to the Pike Place Brewery and had dinner and some beer and came back before the doors opened. I think telling people they were not getting tix worked as there was not a large crowd. We drove a couple of hours to get there so we were not going to leave until the show was over anyway. Be very patient and weasel your way to the front of the group so when they start pointing you will at least be able to make eye contact with the bouncer.
  • Options
    elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    i went to the HOB plant show.... tickets HAD to be picked up by 5pm... (according to the 50 sets they released at cost, not $1,000 tix but local fanclub tix) and had to be picked up by BOTH people. i was there for a few hours, talked to the 10c rep, had another guy with me. 5pm came around and they closed the 10c station, with 2 pair (4 bracelets) sitting there right in front of me.... so my thoughts are, there is no way to get those tix. although i did get to hear plant and pj sound check "fool in the rain" that was kinda cool. if i was younger and filled with more piss and vinegar, i could've snuck in. i just would've had to have sat in the bathroom for 4 hours.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255

Sorry about that man, I was just trying to earn a few extra bucks, no hard feelings.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 391
    back in 2000 they did a warm up show in Vancouver and you had to win tickets to get in. the place only holds about 1100 people. there were people who waited outside all day that didn't have tickets (i don't know how many people, I was lucky to have a ticket and already be inside) and a few songs into the show they let them all in. this was after the opening band had already played, a few songs into PJ's set. so if you stay all day, don't give up once the opening band has started, if there is one.
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    There'll be tickets b4 showtime. Thats what kills me cause seeing it happen at Irving I know they'll do the same here...most likely not free but what I think they would do is just whoevers waiting for tix they'll let em know to form a line by the box office...NOT the line to get in so you can forget that. The 1st 20-30 people maybe more will get lucky
    wish i could change my travel planes... :/ oh well..have fun people! ;)
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    We'll be getting into Chicago around 3 and were going to take a cab over if there was even a remote possiblity of them being available but it doesn't look good (other than members having an extra ticket to sell, but we'd need 2 so I think we'd be out of luck).

I e-mailed 10C yesterday about the possibility of tix being available at the door (including ones that would be available to wait listers) and this was their response:

Yes ... All Ten Club tickets, including those that become available to wait listers, will be sold prior to the show on August 2nd. No Ten Club tickets will be sold on the day of the show.

Thanks
    10C Staff
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Wait listers????

WTF???

It was posted that they were completely sold out....

So you are saying that the people that emailed you whining and wasted your time when YOU CLEARLY SAID THEY WERE COMPLETELY SOLD OUT are on a list to possibly get tickets???

Are you fucking kidding me????
  • Options
    So who's gonna be waiting outside hoping for some "pity" tickets?
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    luketheuke wrote:
    So who's gonna be waiting outside hoping for some "pity" tickets?

fuck it, I'll be there all freakin day, and its gonna be HOT!! So make sure to bring plenty of beer!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    TheGossman wrote:
    fuck it, I'll be there all freakin day, and its gonna be HOT!! So make sure to bring plenty of beer!

I would bring beer, but I don't think the cops would let that fly. It's too bad you can't tailgate at this one. To me that's one of the funnest parts of the shows. I've met so many cool people hanging out in the parking lot before and after.

Oh well. Look for a guy carrying popsicles or freezie-pops to hand out to people in line cuz that'll be me. :) I was gonna bring water, but I ain't dragging no damn cooler with me on the train! I figure people will be just as greatful on a hot day for a popsicle.

Thanks to everyone who posted on their "pity ticket" experiences, it does give me hope for tomorrow.