Shocking: Against Me! Singer to become Woman

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 257
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
NEW YORK —
Tom Gabel, the lead singer of punk rock band Against Me!, says he's becoming a woman.

The 31-year-old tells Rolling Stone that as a kid he felt disconnected from his body and has a condition called gender dysphoria. He plans to take hormones and undergo electrolysis. He also is considering gender reassignment surgery.

Says Gabel: "Growing up, my experience with transsexualism was nothing but shame."

Gabel says his new name will be Laura Jane Grace. He says he's not attracted to men and will still be married to his wife. They have a 2-year-old daughter.

Against Me! is best known for the song "Thrash Unreal." The group will hit the road for its tour with The Cult later this month.

The June issue of Rolling Stone hits newsstands Friday.
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    Alright, enough. PJ needs to announce this fall tour already cuz the world is def coming to an end soon, sorry.... :fp:
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I have a friend who served two tours in Iraq and is currently becoming a woman. I guess he is Pre-Op. I supported him when he came out of the closet and I support what he is doing now, but haven't really talked to him since he began his change. I'm guessing there would probably be a different dynamic to the conversation now as compared to the past..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,831
    Alright, enough. PJ needs to announce this fall tour already cuz the world is def coming to an end soon, sorry.... :fp:

It already went to fire two years ago. Not too much to worry about.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Good on him. Brave dude!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    Interesting story but why on The Porch? Is there a Pearl Jam connection here I don't know about?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    Good for him. I can't imagine going through something like this. It must be a difficult decision, but he probably feels relieved as well.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    brianlux wrote:
    Interesting story but why on The Porch? Is there a Pearl Jam connection here I don't know about?

Maybe one of the Pearl Jam members was once a girl. That would tie things in nicely.
  • deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Glad that he will have a chance to feel right with himself; I hope it does for him what he hopes ... And double good for him, because that is one fucking understanding wife!!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • White DiscussionWhite Discussion Posts: 2,812
    HA!!! Against ME! have some great music, I'm excited to see them with the Cult in June. Would be crazy if this dude does the full women thing tho and still sounds like he does :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Against Me! is a damn good band....at lot better than most of the crap out here ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    brianlux wrote:

Didnt you know? Stone was asked to participate in the time honored tradition of ctaching the nutsack when they snip it! GO STONE!
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    rolenrock wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Didnt you know? Stone was asked to participate in the time honored tradition of ctaching the nutsack when they snip it! GO STONE!

:?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    mfc2006 wrote:
    rolenrock wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

:?
    +1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    that was my stone/ mediocre chuck norris quote ... i posted it IN context instead of posting it in that thread.
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
    Against Me! is my favorite band besides Pearl Jam, and I must say I didn't see it coming. Even though he wrote a song that said "If I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman, My mother once told me she would have named me Laura". I thought it was from someone else's perspective.

I'm proud of him for being brave with this, though, and I still love the band and support the band and whatever it is that Tom/Laura does.
    Walking is still honest
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    PJ related?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    cool...people need to do what they feel like ,not what should..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    :)
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 208
    Against Me! has become one of my favorite bands as well over the past few years (I'll admit, I missed the early 2000s era), and Tom Gabel is one of the best lyricists and performers out there, in my opinion. When I first heard this news, many thoughts came to mind: Is this the end of AM!? What will the songs sound like once he/she goes through hormonal treatments? Will they still tour?

Then I realized every question coming to my mind was all about my reaction to the news and pretty fuckin' selfish. I cannot imagine what it was like for her to live her life all these years dealing with gender dysphoria, and how brave she is to come forward in a country that still shuns the LGBT community in many respects.

I am still coming to grips with this news as a fan, but I wish nothing but support to Tom Gabel as he enters a new phase in life.
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    max8700 wrote:
    Against Me! has become one of my favorite bands as well over the past few years (I'll admit, I missed the early 2000s era), and Tom Gabel is one of the best lyricists and performers out there, in my opinion. When I first heard this news, many thoughts came to mind: Is this the end of AM!? What will the songs sound like once he/she goes through hormonal treatments? Will they still tour?

Then I realized every question coming to my mind was all about my reaction to the news and pretty fuckin' selfish. I cannot imagine what it was like for her to live her life all these years dealing with gender dysphoria, and how brave she is to come forward in a country that still shuns the LGBT community in many respects.

I am still coming to grips with this news as a fan, but I wish nothing but support to Tom Gabel as he enters a new phase in life.

couldn't agree more.