Guitar experts: Yamaha No 80 Nippon Gakki?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
edited May 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm clueless. Am learning how to play, and was given one of these (barely used - my mom bought it new and then never learned to play), and I'm just wondering what anyone's thoughts are about the quality of this instrument. Thanks! :)
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• looks like a old production yamaha classical guitar.
    better quality than the newer ones, i guess.

still, it's a CLASSICAL guitar.
    When i was starting out on guitar, all i had around was my dad's old nylon string fucker.

I reckon eventually you'll want a steel string guitar, or ...

an ELECTRIC

:D

but get some decent strings on it, oil the fretboard, and learn some chords, and how to finger that fucker.

If you get good at fretting on a nylon acoustic, you should be good to go on an electric.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    looks like a old production yamaha classical guitar.
    better quality than the newer ones, i guess.

still, it's a CLASSICAL guitar.
    When i was starting out on guitar, all i had around was my dad's old nylon string fucker.

I reckon eventually you'll want a steel string guitar, or ...

an ELECTRIC

but get some decent strings on it, oil the fretboard, and learn some chords, and how to finger that fucker.

If you get good at fretting on a nylon acoustic, you should be good to go on an electric.
    Thanks for the info! Glad I've got the right style of guitar for learning. Of course now I'm all, "which part is the fret board??" Lol! But no worries, I'll look it up. ;)

No electric for me - I don't think my neighbors in my wood frame apartment building would enjoy that! Acoustic baby - that should be fine. Especially since I have no special musical talents. I played the piano for 15 years, and really never got better than mediocre, and not for lack of trying. I still love playing music though! :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,170
    i learned the completely opposite way.. :oops:

i learned on an electric because it had thinner strings and it was easier to use a tuner on that instead of using the stupid pitch pipe that came with my acoustic :lol:
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

i learned on an electric because it had thinner strings and it was easier to use a tuner on that instead of using the stupid pitch pipe that came with my acoustic :lol:
    :? ... what is a pitch pipe? Do I have to use one? :oops: :lol:
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,170
    PJ_Soul wrote:

it is a way of tuning the guitar by matching the string noise to the noise from the pipe. you just blow into it and is sounds the note/pitch you have to tune the string to....i guess it is good for developing your ear but i never used it. i ended up getting an electric acoustic so i could plug it into a tuner haha... i guess i'm lazy that way.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    PJ_Soul wrote:

it is a way of tuning the guitar by matching the string noise to the noise from the pipe. you just blow into it and is sounds the note/pitch you have to tune the string to....i guess it is good for developing your ear but i never used it. i ended up getting an electric acoustic so i could plug it into a tuner haha... i guess i'm lazy that way.
    I guess I'm lazy too, because I'm wishing I could just do that too! Oh well... I need to retrain my ear anyway. Manual tuning should bring me back a bit to when my musical sense was, albeit mediocre, more sharpened.
  • online tuner:
    http://www.chordbook.com/guitartuner.php

if you're ear ain't too bad its alright.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    online tuner:
    http://www.chordbook.com/guitartuner.php

if you're ear ain't too bad its alright.
    Thanks! Very helpful! I think my ear will serve me okay. :)
  • bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    The title of the thread starts "guitar experts", so clearly I have no right to be here...but am anyway!

Have always tuned my guitar by ear...and am ok at it...but if there is noise around...like you are playing at a friendly gathering and its a bit rowdy...I find it near impossible to tune accurately...and playing a guitar not tuned really nicely is just horrible...especially when you are just learning.

I recently went to the music shop and bought this little cherub tuner that clips on the end of my guitar, runs on a battery and cost about thirty bucks...it lives there now all the time...it takes about one minute to perfectly tune my guitar...it is my new third best friend...cant believe I went twenty years without one. The best thing about them is when you buy new strings, which take some time to stretch in, so you are constantly tuning for a day or two.

Good luck and stick at it...I started on nylon and never really left them...I like them. They are a bit easier on the fingers and if you are like me and suffer from fat fingers they generally have the strings and frets a bit more spread out, so its possibly a tad easier
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker