Options

Homeowner's Associations

Comments

• Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    norm wrote:
    hoa's are for anal retentive busy bodies with nothing better to do

Some of the people on our Board certainly fit that description. They're mostly crotchety old people. (No offense to the old people... just the crotchety ones. ;) ) There was this one guy who was on the Board since the neighborhood was built in the '80s. He was such a busy-body that he would peer over peoples fences trying to find something to fine them for. He finally peered a little too far into some lady's bathroom while she was coming out of the shower. When I moved in, I saw him actually get into my moving van and look around at all my stuff. When I came outside he didn't even say hello or welcome me to the community or anything - he just wanted to check out all my stuff. We were never able to get him off the Board. He finally died.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    _ wrote:
    norm wrote:
    hoa's are for anal retentive busy bodies with nothing better to do

Some of the people on our Board certainly fit that description. They're mostly crotchety old people. (No offense to the old people... just the crotchety ones. ;) ) There was this one guy who was on the Board since the neighborhood was built in the '80s. He was such a busy-body that he would peer over peoples fences trying to find something to fine them for. He finally peered a little too far into some lady's bathroom while she was coming out of the shower. When I moved in, I saw him actually get into my moving van and look around at all my stuff. When I came outside he didn't even say hello or welcome me to the community or anything - he just wanted to check out all my stuff. We were never able to get him off the Board. He finally died.

ugh what a creep...i hope you can find a resolution but it's almost easier to deal with the federal govt than a hoa
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I eventually stopped attending our board meetings because most of them transgressed into shouting matches between (you guessed it) mostly crotchety older folks :D Not the way I want to spend an evening after working all day (let alone join the damn board).

Overall, our HOA is pretty decent in terms of staff, and keeping the building clean and safe. We did have some problems awhile back after the big earthquake in the 90s. The president at the time was in cahoots with the building inspector overseeing quake "repairs". We paid for them, but the work was never done. Fucking kickbacks!

As for your situation, you'd think safety (such as the motion-sensor lights) would be a priority, if only from a liability standpoint in this sue-happy society.

Definitely check your by-laws (and any amendments) carefully, as those should all be abided by to the T. It sucks when you get a clique on there who are hellbent on doing things their, and only their, way.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i say put the gnomes out ... live a little ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    How do they enforce fines? I can see getting in trouble for a violation of a city ordinance, but I would tell a group of HOA's to piss off if I had a potted plant on my porch.

This seems weird to me.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    How do they enforce fines? I can see getting in trouble for a violation of a city ordinance, but I would tell a group of HOA's to piss off if I had a potted plant on my porch.

This seems weird to me.

when you buy the house, you also buy the HO and agree to the terms. if you don't abide, they can take you to court...and you will lose.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

This seems weird to me.

when you buy the house, you also buy the HO and agree to the terms. if you don't abide, they can take you to court...and you will lose.
    You city folk and your weird rules .... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

This seems weird to me.

They can foreclose on your house and garnish your wages. No joke.

They threatened to put a lien on my house last year because I owed money for some special assessment. I got a notice in the mail one day that said if I didn't fork over $1000 by the end of the week they would put a lien on my house. The letter said it was my final notice. Only I never received any other notice. I didn't even know I owed them any money. My monthly dues are auto-deducted, but they don't send me a statement, so I had no idea my account was in the red. You'd think before putting a lien against my house, they could have the decency to take two minutes to call me up or send me a letter or an email and just say, "Hey, by the way, you owe us money" - but no, they just wanted to go straight to legal action.

Here are a couple of stories from a yahoo article on HOAs:
    http://loan.yahoo.com/m/primer13.html

"A gardening violation. That's what landed Jeffrey DeMarco in hot water with his Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., homeowners association a few years ago: He planted too many roses on his four-acre property. Peeved, the association fined him monthly and sat back as the bills mounted. Then it placed a lien on his property and threatened to foreclose, according to DeMarco.

He took the board to court, but lost on the grounds that he had violated the association's architectural design rules. (In addition to planting roses, he also had regraded the site.) In the end, he got stuck with the association's $70,000 legal bill and lost his home to the bank."

Another story:

"To ward off a neighbor who had attacked him with a log, he asked his Rockville, Md., board to bend the rules. He wanted a six-foot fence, two feet taller than allowed. When the application was denied, he sued -- and lost. Warshaw wound up with the association's bills, too. The total: $23,000 in legal fees, court costs and interest.

Humbled but determined, he built a shorter fence. "I wasn't really worried because the board had told me that they don't go out and measure fences," he says. As soon as the fence was up, several board members walked over to Warshaw's yard and measured it. And indeed, in some areas the fence was a few inches over four feet. The dispute continued. "They put a lien on my property," Warshaw says. "They took all my savings, and they're garnishing my paycheck. It's like I am a common criminal. It has been devastating.""

It's absolutely crazy what power HOAs have over people - especially considering the fact that it can be virtually impossible to buy a house without one in many cities. :evil:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    _ wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

This seems weird to me.

They threatened to put a lien on my house last year because I owed money for some special assessment. I got a notice in the mail one day that said if I didn't fork over $1000 by the end of the week they would put a lien on my house. The letter said it was my final notice. Only I never received any other notice. I didn't even know I owed them any money. My monthly dues are auto-deducted, but they don't send me a statement, so I had no idea my account was in the red. You'd think before putting a lien against my house, they could have the decency to take two minutes to call me up or send me a letter or an email and just say, "Hey, by the way, you owe us money" - but no, they just wanted to go straight to legal action.

"A gardening violation. That's what landed Jeffrey DeMarco in hot water with his Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., homeowners association a few years ago: He planted too many roses on his four-acre property. Peeved, the association fined him monthly and sat back as the bills mounted. Then it placed a lien on his property and threatened to foreclose, according to DeMarco.

He took the board to court, but lost on the grounds that he had violated the association's architectural design rules. (In addition to planting roses, he also had regraded the site.) In the end, he got stuck with the association's $70,000 legal bill and lost his home to the bank."

Another story:

"To ward off a neighbor who had attacked him with a log, he asked his Rockville, Md., board to bend the rules. He wanted a six-foot fence, two feet taller than allowed. When the application was denied, he sued -- and lost. Warshaw wound up with the association's bills, too. The total: $23,000 in legal fees, court costs and interest.

Humbled but determined, he built a shorter fence. "I wasn't really worried because the board had told me that they don't go out and measure fences," he says. As soon as the fence was up, several board members walked over to Warshaw's yard and measured it. And indeed, in some areas the fence was a few inches over four feet. The dispute continued. "They put a lien on my property," Warshaw says. "They took all my savings, and they're garnishing my paycheck. It's like I am a common criminal. It has been devastating.""

It's absolutely crazy what power HOAs have over people - especially considering the fact that it can be virtually impossible to buy a house without one in many cities. :evil:

exactly why i will never live in one
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    _ wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

This seems weird to me.

Another story:

Just crazy. :?
  • Options
    81 wrote:

yep...i'd rather be homeless than live with a hoa
  • Options
    We already have to put up with all the insane rules and restrictions of our government, but that was by role of the dice for the majority of us. Joining a HOA seems like doubling down.

I'd sell my house and then attend a HOA meeting and go out just like this .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    We already have to put up with all the insane rules and restrictions of our government, but that was by role of the dice for the majority of us. Joining a HOA seems like doubling down.

some people like the secruity it provides them agaist undesirable neighbors.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

I recently finished painting my house

Ugly-house-1.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Ugly-house-1.jpg

i'll take my chances :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Ugly-house-1.jpg

i like it! :P
  • Options
    I've been talking to the property manager for the last couple of days, trying to get a more specific understanding of the limits of the Board's authority. He basically just told me that the Board even has the right to dictate what I have INSIDE my house, since it can be seen from the outside. :evil:
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394

Ugly-house-1.jpg

This looks like a house we'd see on a small country road in Vermont! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

Ugly-house-1.jpg

the roof especially. awesome.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    justam wrote:

Ugly-house-1.jpg

This looks like a house we'd see on a small country road in Vermont! :)

You shoulda stopped in I was fluffing the pillows

• Options
    norm wrote:

:? :shifty:

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    _ wrote:
    I've been talking to the property manager for the last couple of days, trying to get a more specific understanding of the limits of the Board's authority. He basically just told me that the Board even has the right to dictate what I have INSIDE my house, since it can be seen from the outside. :evil:
    Don't your by-laws specifically outline all of that?

But yeah, same thing here. Our window blinds MUST be white/beige on the side that faces out. So much for the blackout stuff.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

:? :shifty:

well it doesn't bother me...besides, once i'm in my house i don't see it so why do i give a fuck :D
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    norm wrote:
    well it doesn't bother me...besides, once i'm in my house i don't see it so why do i give a fuck :D

inside of norm's house

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaTP6RfwPW5hTsh__dGSlgAjqPzEOseGk0g4vCGyVYa7wA1Jfz
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:

inside of norm's house

only when i'm on mescaline :P
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:

inside of norm's house

i thought that was chadwick's living room? yes/no?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167334&p=3878001&#p3877987
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    I'm a renter in an HOA and they did a garage inspection yesterday. I got home and there was a notice on my door stating I was in violation. They stated that I am using my garage as storage and can't fit a car in there. The truth is I can fit a car in there if I move a few items around. I park my car outside of the damn community so I am not taking up any of the parking spots.

Anyways I received this violation and it has the wrong unit number on it. I wrote an email to the management company if it was in fact intended for me and if they have updated the CC&R's since 1989, yes 1989 because what they are accusing me of is not even in the CC&Rs.

I also need to talk to my landlord to figure out what the fuck is going on here. I will keep you all updated but agree its a bunch of old retired people with nothing better to do.
  • Options
    I'm a renter in an HOA and they did a garage inspection yesterday. I got home and there was a notice on my door stating I was in violation. They stated that I am using my garage as storage and can't fit a car in there. The truth is I can fit a car in there if I move a few items around. I park my car outside of the damn community so I am not taking up any of the parking spots.

Anyways I received this violation and it has the wrong unit number on it. I wrote an email to the management company if it was in fact intended for me and if they have updated the CC&R's since 1989, yes 1989 because what they are accusing me of is not even in the CC&Rs.

I also need to talk to my landlord to figure out what the fuck is going on here. I will keep you all updated but agree its a bunch of old retired people with nothing better to do.

That's mindblowing actually.